17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

7 hours ago, Eastie said:

Really wouldn’t fancy a trip to the den in the play offs - we’d be lambs to the slaughter 

I dont know if i agree with that. Millwall are a good side but when we played them at villa park we had nowhere near our strongest side. 

I think over two legs we would beat them. I think boro are more of a concern and fulham.

Cardiff are out world sight now cabt see us catching them. As for derby those a holes were never this terrible when we played them. The defending at Sunderland was league one standard.

10 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Blimey. I thought that we were Aston Villa. Since when has a two leg fixture against Millwall been considered a difficult prospect for us? If we finish in the play offs I would love to play them in a semi final.

As Villa fans we need to man up a bit. We still have a very good chance of promotion this season. Second is looking unlikely but it is not yet impossible. If we are in the play offs then we will be the team to avoid.

Since we put in a mid table league 2 performance against QPR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Since we put in a mid table league 2 performance against QPR

Ha ha. Good point. We may as well give up then because we lost a match! I’m pretty sure that the RAF adopted a similar attitude ahead of the Battle of Britain which is why the dominant language on this forum is German. Guter punkt gut gemacht! I am just off to cancel the coach for tonight’s game!

I'm not ready to give up yet and I hope the players aren't either. Talk of rotating and playing the kids at this stage is crazy. While there is even the slightest chance of automatic we should still play to get it. 

Who thought we would screw up the last couple of games that badly. Fulham are only level with us still as long as we beat Hull. I can see sessegnon getting distracted by speculation talk over the next few weeks. Their form might continue but would be extraordinary if it lasted to the end. 

Cardiff have some tricky games and who knows what will happen if they have a couple of losses with us and Fulham closing? 

Get back to doing our business and see what happens but not (quite) over for me yet. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, villarocker said:

t think 'Boro will get play offs either - they are poor in attack and struggle against the top sides too much. 

I was shocked they couldn’t pull it back against 9 men yesterday, Bamford and Traore combined with a hopeful flick and one of the best strikes you’ll see this season - but other than that they struggled to get at Wolves with a 2 man advantage.

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Blimey. I thought that we were Aston Villa. Since when has a two leg fixture against Millwall been considered a difficult prospect for us? If we finish in the play offs I would love to play them in a semi final.

As Villa fans we need to man up a bit. We still have a very good chance of promotion this season. Second is looking unlikely but it is not yet impossible. If we are in the play offs then we will be the team to avoid.

The atmosphere at the den is really intimidating - I’ve been there with villa several times new and old and rarely have we played well - exactly the sort of place I’d expect us to struggle , similar to Cardiff .

No villa fans need to man up - having followed the team over 40 years I find that somewhat insulting - it’s the players who need to man up as the last 2 performances have been well below standard .

Id far rather we go to derby or boro in the play offs personally and probably face fulham at Wembley where it is anyone’s game - I don’t think fulham would have any qualms about facing villa - it’s who dares wins in the play offs and up for grabs for whoever performs on the day .

When you say we are Aston Villa do you expect Millwall to be scared by that - we have won the league once in the last 108 years and the fa cup once in 95 years and that was over 60 yrs ago - we have won nothing In the last 22 years some think because we are Aston Villa that gives us some given right to Success - our glorious history counts for nothing in the play offs .

We need to go into the play offs and fight and battle as hard as the opposition and hope that we get the breaks and win - the fans will do their bit - it’s time the players did too .

whoever is in the playoffs will be a difficult prospect - that doesn’t mean we can’t win , but there will be no pushovers - it’s all about who performs on the day under the pressure of the occasion . 

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I was shocked they couldn’t pull it back against 9 men yesterday, Bamford and Traore combined with a hopeful flick and one of the best strikes you’ll see this season - but other than that they struggled to get at Wolves with a 2 man advantage.

Boro aren't that great. They barely had a shot at goal when we played them in Pulis first game. Just defence corners well (which can be a problem for us) and they don't offer a lot else.

Only side I'd be seriously fearful of in the play offs would be Fulham as they have pace and move the ball well which our midfield struggles against.

If Sheffield United get in they could be an issue as we had two very hard games against them with a generous four points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Ha ha. Good point. We may as well give up then because we lost a match! I’m pretty sure that the RAF adopted a similar attitude ahead of the Battle of Britain which is why the dominant language on this forum is German. Guter punkt gut gemacht! I am just off to cancel the coach for tonight’s game!

It's a bit different basically fighting for your way of life's survival or trying to get promoted from the championship with a squad of millionaires, half of which arent even from the same country let alone fans of the club. You can see why motivations might be different.

You can also understand why yes, a piss poor start and absolutely pathetic results against QPR and Bolton have put paid to automatic, especially now Fulham are 3 points ahead before today with superior goal difference. This has got all the hallmarks of a traditional late season collapse so I'd just be glad at this point to stay in the playoffs and hope we can chain a run of W-D-W together. We have absolutely nobody to blame but ourselves. Cardiff have mugged us off showing us how a team sustains a promotion run and Fulham's form makes our 7 game win streak look like a piss in the ocean. We had the ball in our court after Wolves and just had to match Cardiff and beat them to overtake but we bottled it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Boro aren't that great. They barely had a shot at goal when we played them in Pulis first game. Just defence corners well (which can be a problem for us) and they don't offer a lot else.

Only side I'd be seriously fearful of in the play offs would be Fulham as they have pace and move the ball well which our midfield struggles against.

If Sheffield United get in they could be an issue as we had two very hard games against them with a generous four points.

Play offs are like cup ties - all about who performs on the day and can handle the pressure - that’s why it’s not that often the 3rd place team wins them .

I wouldn’t fear anyone but I wouldn’t think anyone is easy either - who dares wins and I’d hope the experience we have would help under the pressure of the occasion .

last  season Fulham were fancied by many in the play offs but on the day they didn’t perform and got turned over in 2 legs .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Nothing wrong with the fans. It's the players and management need to man up.

Second is gone.

Our aim now is to stay in the play offs, then win through them.

And yes, for us, as Aston Villa, it is sad that we have to fear Millwall, but that is where we are at the moment.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, M_Afro said:

QPR and Bolton say hi...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

And that is how to trivialise an event that shaped the future of our country and Europe.

• Like 1

the 2081-19 promotion charge would start with this squad:

GK: Steer, Sarkic

RB: Elmohamady, Steer

CB: Chester, Suliman, Jedinak

LB: Taylor

DM: Whelan, Doyle-Hayes, Jedinak

CM: Hourihane, Grealish, Lansbury, Bjarnason

RW: Elmohamady, O'Hare, Adomah

LW: Green, Adomah, Grealish

ST: Hogan, Kodjia, Davis, RHM

Not exactly big on depth - and without a great deal of money to spend on making it better we'd be very reliant on doing well in the loan market.

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

The atmosphere at the den is really intimidating - I’ve been there with villa several times new and old and rarely have we played well - exactly the sort of place I’d expect us to struggle , similar to Cardiff .

No villa fans need to man up - having followed the team over 40 years I find that somewhat insulting - it’s the players who need to man up as the last 2 performances have been well below standard .

Id far rather we go to derby or boro in the play offs personally and probably face fulham at Wembley where it is anyone’s game - I don’t think fulham would have any qualms about facing villa - it’s who dares wins in the play offs and up for grabs for whoever performs on the day .

When you say we are Aston Villa do you expect Millwall to be scared by that - we have won the league once in the last 108 years and the fa cup once in 95 years and that was over 60 yrs ago - we have won nothing In the last 22 years some think because we are Aston Villa that gives us some given right to Success - our glorious history counts for nothing in the play offs .

We need to go into the play offs and fight and battle as hard as the opposition and hope that we get the breaks and win - the fans will do their bit - it’s time the players did too .

whoever is in the playoffs will be a difficult prospect - that doesn’t mean we can’t win , but there will be no pushovers - it’s all about who performs on the day under the pressure of the occasion . 

Fight and battle......thats all i ask.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fight and battle......thats all i ask.

If we do that then quality will hopefully tell - however there are teams this season who have wanted it more than us - that cannot happen anymore .