17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Warnock makes bruce look like the tactically inept manager he is. Both of them are 'dinosaurs' according to some on here, yet look where cardiff are with a shoestring budget - they keep winning. We have spent extraordinary amounts for a championship team, yet two players get injured and we crumble. If we get top 2 i would be stunned. Im sure we will finish top 6, but wont get past the semis as we cannot handle pressure against the top sides. We have historically been bottlers in our recent history which i fear is yet to continue under bruce

The TV deal has inflated prices, so although we have spent big, it is no different to promotion chasing teams from 4/5 years ago. A 15m player now was a 5m player then.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You mean Wolves - who are 2 or 3 points ahead of everybody else, can even lose a couple and still win the League?

Derby, who are one point behind us, and have done extremely well to climb up the table from where they were?

Bristol City who are punching above weight, and Fulham who have been on fire for a few weeks on end to get within touching distance?

I don't get how this has any bearing on our dreadful performance, set up, tactics or pissing away of 3 points.

If we miss out on automatic promotion do we get the points any of those dropped as a bonus?

Go away Terry :P

I just put out a fact without the emotion, because I have to say some of the emotion has been over the top, to put it as nicely as I can.

I actually don’t even understand most of what you’ve said there....e.g.what you’ve said about Fulham they could say about us etc, but never mind you carry on and see it however you like.

Fact is, we actually are not the only team who have, or who will, lose games, draw games, play poorly, mess up tactics, and it’s quite amusing in a tragic way when people write as if we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I just put out a fact without the emotion, because I have to say some of the emotion has been over the top, to put it as nicely as I can.

I actually don’t even understand most of what you’ve said there....e.g.what you’ve said about Fulham they could say about us etc, but never mind you carry on and see it however you like.

Fact is, we actually are not the only team who have, or who will, lose games, draw games, play poorly, mess up tactics, and it’s quite amusing in a tragic way when people write as if we are.

Once again, I think it's because we still suffer from a level of PTSD.

Whenever things start looking wrong we fear that it is all going to collapse again because we have had years on top of years of it.

So we might tend to (over)react , rightly or wrongly so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

So you wouldnt enjoy promotion then??

I wouldnt be around so no. Honestly. I really despise Warnock , I would just take some time away from Football I dislike him that much. I couldnt bear to see Aston Villa play for him. If we got promoted next year under him and I read about it then sure, I might crack a smile, but I wouldn't be around until after he had gone so I couldnt really enjoy it.

I don't deny he is a good manager btw. Just he is where I draw my ethical line. I respect the fact others feel differently and thats fine.

My biggest concern is that even if we beat Cardiff, they have a lot of home fixtures that are easy on paper and they are flat track bullies at home.

Bristol City
Barnsley
Birmingham 
Burton Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest
Reading

It's crucial Bristol City get a point there at the weekend, as they could quite easily get 15 points from those other fixtures which would put them on 79 points.

6 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

My biggest concern is that even if we beat Cardiff, they have a lot of home fixtures that are easy on paper and they are flat track bullies at home.

Bristol City
Barnsley
Birmingham 
Burton Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Nottingham Forest
Reading

It's crucial Bristol City get a point there at the weekend, as they could quite easily get 15 points from those other fixtures which would put them on 79 points.

Four of those sides will be fighting fir their lives. It definitely won’t be easy

The difference between Cardiff to Derby and ourselves is the expectation. Nobody expects Cardiff to finish second, which eases the pressure on them. 

There is a certain amount of expectation from fans and media that us or Derby will get second, and I’m sure Warnock is playing off this fact. 

I would say we’re better equipt at handling the pressure, with the experience of Terry, Chester, Jedinak and Bruce, but you never know. 

It’s going to be a nervy, tense, but exciting couple of months. I just hope we can get back to winning ways Saturday. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 07:42, Eastie said:

They lost 4 in a row over new year   Some tough games coming up for them so let’s hope for another slip

They started the season very well, so can afford slips. We started the season very badly and so don’t have that luxury. 

Just the worst posisble luck the main injuries occur on a three game week. thankfully next week it will be a week off so I expect and hope one or both may be back for QPR.]

Grealish injury is obviously from that scumbag ndoyes stamp If cardiff extend their lead anymore on weekend thats us done for 2nd. we need to be very careful as fulham are breathing down our necks last thing we want to do is finish below 4th

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Don’t know who is bigger chokers us or derby. Seems neither of us want second.

if we don’t win Saturday we might as well white the white flag for second. Derby won’t be dropping points forever

I'd be more concerned if I was a Derby fan, we've slipped up against two in form teams.

Derby have slipped up against an out of form Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday (although watch us do the same now :( )

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I'd be more concerned if I was a Derby fan, we've slipped up against two in form teams.

Derby have slipped up against an out of form Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday (although watch us do the same now :( )

Yep we have both to play as well, we need to be beating Wednesday no excuses. Its very lucky we are still ahead of Derby and Fulham. What a opportunity it was to extend our lead from them. opportunity blown (again) 

In the first week of 2018, after a poor run, we were five points from 2nd (Derby). Two points a game for the rest of the season was only a dream, but a dream I thougt would give us 2nd.

Now after that we had a great run, won five games, one draw and one lost game. Despite that we are still four points behind and have two strong teams chasing us. If SheffieldU win their game in hand we are only 6 points from 7th. 

7 points from next 3 games are a good result, and even 5-6 points if Grealish and Adomah are still out. But the gap up to Cardiff could be 5 points,mor more. With only 10 games left and 2 points pr game for Cardiff, we would need 8 wins, 1 draw and only 1 lost game to finish on the same points as them. Thats a better run from us than we had from Middlesbr until today. 

If the distance up to Cardiff is the same after the next 3 games, realistic I say, and Cardiff continue as they have now, 64 points from 33 games, 1,94 points pr game, we still needs 23-24 points from the last ten games. Include games vs wolves, Derby, Cardiff and Leeds. 

Anything can happen, but we can not let Cardiff run away from us. With 3 "easy" games coming up I think we need to get closer to 2nd.

Edited by villa82

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

That just means we're overdue ;)

Those 12 do also include 2 games against Man City and a match where we played- in some positions- players as low as 6th choice against a full strength Watford. 1 in 9 still isn't great though.

Players as low as 6th choice in multiple positions? How many players do you have?! :o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

The difference between Cardiff to Derby and ourselves is the expectation. Nobody expects Cardiff to finish second, which eases the pressure on them. 

There is a certain amount of expectation from fans and media that us or Derby will get second, and I’m sure Warnock is playing off this fact. 

I would say we’re better equipt at handling the pressure, with the experience of Terry, Chester, Jedinak and Bruce, but you never know. 

It’s going to be a nervy, tense, but exciting couple of months. I just hope we can get back to winning ways Saturday. 

They are like Leicester. Everyone is saying they will drop off eventually but they keep winning. 

They have a great team spirit. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep we have both to play as well, we need to be beating Wednesday no excuses. Its very lucky we are still ahead of Derby and Fulham. What a opportunity it was to extend our lead from them. opportunity blown (again) 

It was a great opportunity but we have to accept we couldn't keep winning forever and we have just played 2 of the most inform teams in the league with key players missing.

I had us dropping points in both those game. It's the next 3 we MUST win. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You mean Wolves - who are 2 or 3 points ahead of everybody else, can even lose a couple and still win the League?

Derby, who are one point behind us, and have done extremely well to climb up the table from where they were?

Bristol City who are punching above weight, and Fulham who have been on fire for a few weeks on end to get within touching distance?

I don't get how this has any bearing on our dreadful performance, set up, tactics or pissing away of 3 points.

If we miss out on automatic promotion do we get the points any of those dropped as a bonus?

Go away Terry :P

If we’re talking about the Preston game, according to the internet we got 1 point. 

Wasn’t aware there were 4 up for grabs - a real opportunity lost! ;)