17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Wouldn't mind us signing Omar Bogle. Local lad, tall, fast and strong. A younger, better version of Gestede to give us a different option up front, might be easier to get him with Wigan likely to go down 

10 hours ago, skarroki said:

Wouldn't mind us signing Omar Bogle. Local lad, tall, fast and strong. A younger, better version of Gestede to give us a different option up front, might be easier to get him with Wigan likely to go down 

My mate at work is a Grimsby fan. Rates him very highly.

Of course Bruce seems to have turned things round with us at the moment, hardly conceding any goals and all good teams are built from the back. With the prospect of further strengthening in the summer, I can well understand the optimism.

The thing niggling away at the back of my mind is that when Bruce got Hull promoted the other season, he had arguably the best squad in the division, a settled side practically the same as had played in the Premier league the previous season, and they underachieved, finishing fourth I think. If Brighton hadn't had such bad luck with the four injuries in the play off against Wednesday I think they would have gone up rather than Hull.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, poitier said:
44 minutes ago, poitier said:

Of course Bruce seems to have turned things round with us at the moment, hardly conceding any goals and all good teams are built from the back. With the prospect of further strengthening in the summer, I can well understand the optimism.

The thing niggling away at the back of my mind is that when Bruce got Hull promoted the other season, he had arguably the best squad in the division, a settled side practically the same as had played in the Premier league the previous season, and they underachieved, finishing fourth I think. If Brighton hadn't had such bad luck with the four injuries in the play off against Wednesday I think they would have gone up rather than Hull.

I think any team in the champ would be delighted with promotion regardless of how it comes .He has been promoted 4 times think it's safe to say he knows what it takes to get a team up I would certainly take a fourth place finish and promotion for us .

On 19/03/2017 at 20:51, KHV said:

Lazy, dreadful first touch and never fit.

Utter crap

It's alright trotting out these one word blows but it doesn't make them automatically true. He never really shone the times I seen him but he never looked like a turkey either. Just a young midfielder in a new team and unsure if his role. 

As ever with some on this site, no middle ground, he's just utter crap. That itself is utter crap. 

We paid way over the odds considering his experience and he's struggling to get a game with Forest but it doesn't instantly make him utter crap. 

It must be lovely living in a world where everything is either crap or great. Not having to think about anything in between. Bliss. 

• Like 3

On 21/03/2017 at 01:55, Wezbid said:

It's alright trotting out these one word blows but it doesn't make them automatically true. He never really shone the times I seen him but he never looked like a turkey either. Just a young midfielder in a new team and unsure if his role. 

As ever with some on this site, no middle ground, he's just utter crap. That itself is utter crap. 

We paid way over the odds considering his experience and he's struggling to get a game with Forest but it doesn't instantly make him utter crap. 

It must be lovely living in a world where everything is either crap or great. Not having to think about anything in between. Bliss. 

There's so many 'buzz' words on this forum. Most of them are negative. I saw someone call James Chester 'toxic' recently. Chester?? Toxic? A dip in form, a player I don't rate sure... but toxic?! Could reel of a number of these words 'dross', 'piss poor' and I haven't even looked at any threads. 

Back on topic, I think this thread is far more important to us than the playoff challenge one. The playoffs are very unrealistic, whereas next season we have to go up and I think we will.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2017 at 01:55, Wezbid said:

There's so many 'buzz' words on this forum. Most of them are negative. I saw someone call James Chester 'toxic' recently. Chester?? Toxic? A dip in form, a player I don't rate sure... but toxic?! Could reel of a number of these words 'dross', 'piss poor' and I haven't even looked at any threads. 

Back on topic, I think this thread is far more important to us than the playoff challenge one. The playoffs are very unrealistic, whereas next season we have to go up and I think we will.

• 1 month later...

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce: "It was the worst game of the season. The ball must have been screaming at one point, saying 'please don't bash me again'.

"We're still not remotely near the finished article. I've got a busy summer ahead, with a huge clear-out job to continue.

"But at least the fans have not only won a derby, they've seen the effort their team has put in. We've taken away the stigma that they don't care.

"If anyone can keep Blues up, Harry will. He had them playing like their lives depended on it and they've got to take that into their last two games."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39612229

I wonder how much of that "huge" clearout includes players not currently out on loan. There can't be that much left before we are ripping up another newly assembled team.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce: "It was the worst game of the season. The ball must have been screaming at one point, saying 'please don't bash me again'.

"We're still not remotely near the finished article. I've got a busy summer ahead, with a huge clear-out job to continue.

"But at least the fans have not only won a derby, they've seen the effort their team has put in. We've taken away the stigma that they don't care.

"If anyone can keep Blues up, Harry will. He had them playing like their lives depended on it and they've got to take that into their last two games."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39612229

I wonder how much of that "huge" clearout includes players not currently out on loan. There can't be that much left before we are ripping up another newly assembled team.

I dunno - I would want to see replaced - Bacuna, Gardner, Kozak, Gabby (I know), new GK, then on loan McCantScoremack, Tish, - that's 7 players (5 not on loan) off the top of my head if which we could just improve on we would do very well. 

We need 'quality' in goal, centre half, left and central midfield to stand a chance of promotion. Based on what I've seen this season, given Bruce having now had a lot of time to do things his way, I am not at all confident that will will achieve the goal of what should be automatic promotion. There's a lot to do.

• Like 2

Think Helder Costa will be a standout player in the division next year, he's had moments this season but will be more consistant next time.

Wolves just have a really bloated squad that needs to be culled and also Lambert so consistency won't be the strongest.

I was looking at those odds and wondering why the hell Sheffield United and Ipswich were so highly rated but if you look at them they obviously aren't including any of the teams in play off contention or the three to be relegated from the prem so it's not a great indication given half the field isn't being rated.

We really should be challenging next year for automatic promotion.

I don't for a start see either Sunderland or Boro being as good as Newcastle coming down. Think Reading and Huddersfield will struggle to match this season if either fall in the play offs.

Of course other teams will emerge to challenge but with what we've got and can still add the excuses are running out now I think.

Momentum and confidence is everything in sport and the most important thing for us is to get off to a good start. Take a minimum of 12 points from the opening 18 and we'll be right up there and looking to get to the top spot. Once there, we will have something to hold on to and fight for every game.

For me, that is not an unreasonable expectation for us after having a full pre-season and a much improved squad compared to last (this) season. 

10 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well if what they say about bookies "never" being wrong is true then we have nothing to worry about next year

uiq7b1k.jpg

7/1 to win the league? We have been bigger prices than that to win a single game for most of the past couple of years

That price will surely drop when the missed playoff/relegation teams are included though?

10 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

That price will surely drop when the missed playoff/relegation teams are included though?

Im not sure it will drift, but there will certainly be teams on shorter odds.

You can tell we're not a 'true' favourite by the fact that we're odds against for promotion. If we we're title favourites, we'd definitely be odds on for promotion.