17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I reckon Sunderland will get a result at Fulham. 

I think the stars may be aligning for us you know. 

See above :D

Edit: Damn page break!!!!! :bang:

Edited by TheAuthority
Page Brek FTL

So if we beat Derby and Cardiff fail to beat Hull then we'll take second to the final day.

It will only be a tiny chance as we'd have to overturn Fulham's GD and they're hardly going to be turned over by SHA who are all but safe.

Don't know whether to be content we've at least kept on going or fuming we threw away so many points after the Wolves game with lifeless performances.

Probably the latter.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So if we beat Derby and Cardiff fail to beat Hull then we'll take second to the final day.

IF that happens, Cardiff and Fulham will be the ones shitting themselves and there will be no pressure on us. Anything can happen.

Its these games where teams are Expected to win are the tricky ones......and those down the bottom have something to prove.....Sunderland could be relaxed now and go out in a blaze of Glory.

paradoxically we could have the better fixtures, in so much as we have to be up for it.

as Steve says.....squeaky bum time.

35 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Fulham have Sunderland and Birmingham remaining. There is just no way they get anything less than 4 points there. 

Cardiff have Hull and Reading. Hull are 18th, and Reading at 19th. 

Our promotion rivals are playing some of the worst teams in the league. We on the other hand have two promotion playoff clubs who both need wins to stay alive and I assume we will be resting players.

I just don't see it. 

I did say it was a very slim chance.

37 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Fulham have Sunderland and Birmingham remaining. There is just no way they get anything less than 4 points there. 

Cardiff have Hull and Reading. Hull are 18th, and Reading at 19th. 

Our promotion rivals are playing some of the worst teams in the league. We on the other hand have two promotion playoff clubs who both need wins to stay alive and I assume we will be resting players.

I just don't see it. 

Hull are in a bit of form if they can win it’ll set it up nicely. I don’t think it’ll set it up for us more likely Fulham but we can always hope a Blues win sends us up!!! 

Not that I think it's relevant to our promotion hopes as we won't overhaul them anyway, but the goal difference to Fulham is practically nominal. The results are far more important obviously so assuming they went the way we wanted, even a 1-0/2-0 in either game is sufficient. Improve ours by 1 whilst Fulham decrease theirs by two or we increase ours by 2 whilst they lose by one and the goal difference is gone. Although, to be fair, goals scored is never going to be matched in two games.

But we're not going to catch both Cardiff and Fulham, I'd be surprised if we ended 3rd. The only interesting thing is who we get in the semis, and hopefully, final.

Cardiff have been asking for that. 

I didn't watch the game (in fact was it even on the telly box?) but everytime I've seen them recently they've looked pretty poor and somehow got the result. 

The hope continues to kill us and though I don't think we will do it by any means at least this means that Fulham might overhaul them. I would still prefer Cardiff in the play offs and today shows why. 

Edited by sidcow

Warnock said post match that Derby had celebrated like they had won the World Cup last night. He said the same after we had beaten them as well. I hope he says that after each of their remaining games this season!:D

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I did say it was a very slim chance.

I would say it's the slimist of slimiest. We have left ourselves so much to do. That five game winless streak has absolutely killed us. Just one win and we could havw done it against some utter shit teams as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Its these games where teams are Expected to win are the tricky ones......and those down the bottom have something to prove.....Sunderland could be relaxed now and go out in a blaze of Glory.

paradoxically we could have the better fixtures, in so much as we have to be up for it.

as Steve says.....squeaky bum time.

I know you love the tickly bit you old rascal ;)

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Cardiff have been asking for that. 

I didn't watch the game (in fact was it even on the telly box?) but everytime I've seen them recently they've looked pretty poor and somehow got the result. 

The hope continues to kill us and though I don't think we will do it by any means at least this means that Fulham might overhaul them. I would still prefer Cardiff in the play offs and today shows why. 

Dirty fouling kicking bunch of cloggers Cardiff and I think they will be turned over in the semis 

Funniest thing for me was Rowetts interview after - what a total buffoon . Talking like he was king of managers when in reality he’s presided over a total shambles in recent months and lucky to be still in his job 

Edited by Eastie

EFL to make clubs field full strength teams at business end of season to avoid unfair advantages  

• EFL clubs have to play with a 'full strength' team from fourth weekend in March
  • That means they have to name at least 10 outfield players from last team sheet 
  • The EFL have also voted to mirror the Premier League and close window early 

EFL clubs will not be allowed to overly rotate their sides at the business end of the season under a new 'full strength' team policy.

Team selection became an issue towards the end of the 2016-17 campaign, with teams who had qualified for the play-offs resting key players, which gave some relegation-threatened sides an unfair advantage when they played them.

Clubs will now have to include at least 10 outfield players within the squad of 18 who had featured in the squad for the previous match.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football_league_championship/article-5423369/EFL-clubs-field-strength-teams-end-season.html