17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

We won’t meet a team as good as Fulham again this season - that said every game will have its different challenge - no pushovers in this league .

I think we will.

Derby, Wolves, Cardiff all (H) and Millwall away all still to play, and we also have a play off seeking Preston Northend to deal with tonight.

5 tough games already Eastie mate.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

17 hours ago, Eastie said:

Just done the evening mail predictor for the rest of the season and had villa in 2nd on 87 points , derby 84, Fulham 82, Cardiff 78 and boro 76 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-promotion-predictor-championship-14287665#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

I just did this and got us level on 89 with Derby, Cardiff on 87, Fulham on 81 and Boro 79. Was quite surprised that I had Fulham falling quite so short. Looks like we're not too dissimilar although I have Cardiff doing considerably better (I think they have some nice fixtures to be fair). If it finishes as tight as that I'm not sure I could cope. Millwall away could be as nervy a game as we've had in a long time.

To be honest a lot of the games are completely unpredictable so I think what doing that showed me was how up in the air promotion really is.

I think the key is that we just keep focusing on the next game. We'll have good and bad results but we can't let ourselves be affected too much by either. 

• Like 1

I’ve said before that I don’t fancy the idea of having to go to Millwall if we need three points.

The positive I can see with that fixture is that they’ll easily be safe by that point, so won’t have much to play for (with the exception of being annoying gits).

49 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Could say the same about Villa with Adomah and Grealish out.

not really as we have some players like terry, chester  snodgrass kodjia, hogan who would are excellent individual players. thats without including adomah and grealish 

It's going to be very tight.  We will lose again - hopefully no more than a couple, as will those around us.  The 6-pointers are going to be key, and nervy as it will be, those last couple of games have always looked make or break and I can't see us pulling clear enough for them not to be vital.  Squeaky bums indeed.

33 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we will.

Derby, Wolves, Cardiff and Millwall away all still to play, and we also have a play off seeking Preston Northend to deal with tonight.

5 tough games already Eastie mate.

Four of those at home though and millwall away is not as tough as Fulham away . 

‘No easy games in this league. 

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Having watched both sides, in my opinion, Wolves are a much better side, and we still have to meet them.

I should have said away from home - at home id fear no team in this league 

‘for me Fulham away was our toughest remaining game from the last 15 .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Four of those at home though and millwall away is not as tough as Fulham away . 

‘No easy games in this league. 

Yeah, sorry it looks like I worded it initially as we have them all to play away.

I agree. No easy games and I can't wait to get out of this league.  :thumb:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah, sorry it looks like I worded it as we have them all the play away.

First 3 mentioned are all home games but yeah I agree. No easy games and I can't wait to get out of it.  :thumb:

Of course we need to get out of it but I will miss this league - scrapping around in the lower to mid reaches of the premiership will not be as exciting .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

we really need this second spot though, genuinely don't think i could cope with watching us in the play offs.

In some ways winning a play off final at Wembley and a trophy will all the glamour involved is a great way to do it - but it’s nerve wracking and much better to go up 2nd than take a chance in the play offs .

• Like 2

If comes last game of season I dont fancy our chances

Derby at home to reading

Cardiff at home to barnsley

us away to millwall. we have a very tough game while those two have very easy and winnable games. we need to be wrapping 2nd before then as i think we will cock it up if comes to last game 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If comes last game of season I dont fancy our chances

Derby at home to reading

Cardiff at home to barnsley

us away to millwall. we have a very tough game while those two have very easy and winnable games. we need to be wrapping 2nd before then as i think we will cock it up if comes to last game 

Ideally wrap it up to celebrate our last home game with a party 

20 hours ago, Eastie said:

Just done the evening mail predictor for the rest of the season and had villa in 2nd on 87 points , derby 84, Fulham 82, Cardiff 78 and boro 76 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-promotion-predictor-championship-14287665#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

I had Bristol City winning the title :hooray:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Too close for comfort.

If we play to our potential, we will be clear in second by the end.

Fulham would have to win another 11 games to get to that point - no chance they will be that high looking at their fixtures , I had Cardiff 10 points lower and thought I was being kind to them .

Normally you’d expect 75 points to make the play offs more often than not .

i believe if villa get 86 points it will take us up in 2nd place .

Edited by Eastie