17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watching the highlights it looked like we collapsed abit after they scored? 

Would those who saw the whole game say they are a better team?

Odd question to answer that.  They were deserving of their victory if thats what you mean.

However comparisons are very difficult;  Even if we hadn't had the injuries we did im not sure how you would measure who the best team is, we play completely differently.

They will be our biggest threat though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Odd question to answer that.  They were deserving of their victory if thats what you mean.

However comparisons are very difficult;  Even if we hadn't had the injuries we did im not sure how you would measure who the best team is, we play completely differently.

They will be our biggest threat though.

I probably should have phrased it better. 

It seems like we have struggled against better teams away. Hopefully we can do better against them at home and continue to beat the teams lower in the league. 

Fulham are definitely the in form team. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I probably should have phrased it better. 

It seems like we have struggled against better teams away. Hopefully we can do better against them at home and continue to beat the teams lower in the league. 

Fulham are definitely the in form team. 

Interesting to see how Fulham do against Bristol city and wolves this week - hopefully they will slip up.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watching the highlights it looked like we collapsed abit after they scored? 

Would those who saw the whole game say they are a better team?

They were on the day and generally are, a much better team than us at keeping the ball, but didn't really create much to worry us until they scored, by which point it was always going to be up hill. It then became hopeless after Johnstone's mistake because we didn't have the players to respond.

That is the worry really - all teams are weakened with their best players out, Fulham were the same earlier in the season - but, we seem to go from dangerous/on fire to toothless/vulnerable without those key players. 

In answer to your question, with the same team that had won the previous 7, we definitely could have continued the run and beaten them yesterday, so in that sense there's isn't a better squad and much more likely to get second, just the better team on the day. Pretty fine margins though, really.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

They were on the day and generally are, a much better team than us at keeping the ball, but didn't really create much to worry us until they scored, by which point it was always going to be up hill. It then became hopeless after Johnstone's mistake because we didn't have the players to respond.

That is the worry really - all teams are weakened with their best players out, Fulham were the same earlier in the season - but, we seem to go from dangerous/on fire to toothless/vulnerable without those key players. 

In answer to your question, with the same team that had won the previous 7, we definitely could have continued the run and beaten them yesterday, so in that sense there's isn't a better squad and much more likely to get second, just the better team on the day. Pretty fine margins though, really.

Very much agree.

I think the key difference between our style and that of the “ball nurturing “ sides is they adapt better to losing a player or two. Not hugely better, not miles better, but better. A bit like under MON we knew if his preferred 11 were on the pitch all would probably be well but outside of that.................. 

Totslly agree it will be down to better team on the day, or more like the team that plays better on the day. There isn’t a lot of difference between the Top 6. Even Wolves, for me, are not as much better as it appears, they ARE better, but a couple of results different they’d be in the same pack.

• Like 1

In the words of Marshall Mathers:

Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity 
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked 
He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy? No 
He won't have it,
Back to the lab again yo, this whole rhapsody 
He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him
You own it, you better never let it go 
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow 
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime you better...

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Very much agree.

I think the key difference between our style and that of the “ball nurturing “ sides is they adapt better to losing a player or two. Not hugely better, not miles better, but better. A bit like under MON we knew if his preferred 11 were on the pitch all would probably be well but outside of that.................. 

Totslly agree it will be down to better team on the day, or more like the team that plays better on the day. There isn’t a lot of difference between the Top 6. Even Wolves, for me, are not as much better as it appears, they ARE better, but a couple of results different they’d be in the same pack.

I think it's clear how much one or two star plays make a difference. Without Grealish we look very flat. We haven't got another player anywhere near that quality. Snodgrass is probably the closest to him.

Wolves on the other hand have Neves, Jota, Caviellero and Costa that are all another level. 

Fulham I can't really comment on because haven't seen them enough. 

In a nutshell I think it's as simple as no Grealish. No promotion. 

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

So what's the situation with Grealish?  Is he just not 100% over his injury?  How far away is he?

Knock on calf - possibly back on Tuesday but not serious . 

‘Should be back next week if not Tuesday .

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

TBF his calves makes up about 50% of his body so it might be a bigger issue than we think.

They are (almost) bigger than his thighs ffs :D 

Bildresultat för jack grealish calves

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Interesting to see how Fulham do against Bristol city and wolves this week - hopefully they will slip up.

I would like Bristol to beat Fulham, but then Fulham to Beat wolves.

Dropping points yesterday has prevented us closing the gap on first place to 10pts rather than 13.

With only 14 games to go I don't think anyone will catch Wolves now unless they loose 5 games in that time. Highly unlikely.

Wolves will not be caught by us.

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t see why you want Fulham to beat wolves - I’d like Fulham to lose both as they are a real threat .

I guess to help us catch Wolves initially, but then conceeding now I don't think we will catch wolves then yeah.. hope they loose them both.  :D

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I have heard people say 'See you next Tuesday' to him to be fair ;) 

In fairness though, you want to be careful against Preston, I've seen them twice this season, and they don't mind leaving a foot in.  Not really what you want with Grealish at the moment.