17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bristol city were above us when we beat them though?

I’m not sure to be honest, but we did give them a good hiding I know that!

It’s the most important part of the season we are entering and because of our bad start, we don’t have much room for manoeuvre. What really worries me is that most teams, probably with the exception of Wolves this season,  have good and bad runs. We’ve just had a great run which has ended, we need to start the next good run on Tuesday as we can’t really afford a bad run now. 

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

No doubt the home games with Cardiff derby and wolves will be huge in our quest for promotion - we will need wins 

I read your earlier post stating how poor we have been away against the other top 6 sides, which is the point I have being trying to make. You make a good point though, that we don’t have to play any of them away again, so that’s a big plus. So you are absolutely right, those three home games you mention above are vital. Preston are up to 7th and took us apart at their place, Tuesday is a big game now. Not that any of them aren’t.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I read your earlier post stating how poor we have been away against the other top 6 sides, which is the point I have being trying to make. You make a good point though, that we don’t have to play any of them away again, so that’s a big plus. So you are absolutely right, those three home games you mention above are vital. Preston are up to 7th and took us apart at their place, Tuesday is a big game now. Not that any of them aren’t.

I thought we were by far the better team at Preston - they certainly never took us apart in my opinion , I thought we were excellent that night .

This is what it's all about now. Need to react and get straight back in the saddle. This becomes a blip or the first nail in the coffin of automatic promotion. 

I did worry about earlier overconfidence today on this site, we did tempt fate somewhat. 

That said missing both Grealish and Adomah was a huge ask today. We have had a horror story this year with injuries to key players frequently. 

Edited by sidcow

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is what it's all about now. Need to react and get straight back in the saddle. This becomes a blip or the first nail in the coffin of automatic promotion. 

I did worry about earlier overconfidence today on this site, we did tempt fate somewhat. 

That said missing both Grealish and Adomah was a huge ask today. We have had a horror story this year with injuries to key players frequently. 

Funny, how the not so good players, never get injured.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Might be that they don’t get stamped all over the way Jack and Albert were last week !

No, because the opposition don't see the " not so goods" as a threat.

I think you may have misread my intented point Terry;)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Not do sure about that. Relegation threatened teams are a nightmare to play sometimes.

We tend to do enough in those games as we can always nick a goal and Terry-Chester can keep out their limited attacks.

Sunderland should be a win regardless as they are hopeless and never win at home. Hull and Bolton will be trickier I accept that.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't know what we do down the left with no Albert and no Andre. Snodgrass looks poor there compared to the right and Bjarnason is frankly terrible there. I have no idea what state Gabby is in and Onomah doesn't do enough (although his best performance this season was away at Preston). 

Not great.

Get the feeling Hourihane might be shifted out there which isn't really ideal.

Think Grabban will start on Tuesday so it will be two strikers. 3-5-2 will surely not be risked given how poor we've looked playing that formation in the past.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

I thought we were by far the better team at Preston - they certainly never took us apart in my opinion , I thought we were excellent that night .

Good win but it was a good time to play them as they had all their senior defenders missing that night.

Our best away win this season imo was Boro, Pulis's first game and what could be a very pivitol result when all is done. Sheffield United was probably a better one with them higher but we rode our luck a fair bit that night.

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think we have tough few games coming up. Preston, Wednesday and QPR have all taken points off the top teams recently

They are only tough......if we make them tough.

we have to perform.....we didn't today.

This is how we currently stand as regards who we have left to play - and what our results have been against them: 8 wins and 2 draws will get us 85 pts

Capture0217.JPG

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If cardiff win and we don't they could be 4 points ahead of us.

Boro really didn't help us did they? Not feeling confident at all of we have no grealish or adomah. We looked absolutely toothless in a creative sense against fulham