17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Bristol City are the only team in the top 7 that we have beaten. I have to say that for me that is a real concern. If we continue with the poor results against those teams we have a big problem. For one that will mean we are unlikely to finish second, and that will mean we will have to beat, two of those teams to get promoted. I wasn’t having a dig, but those are the facts and can’t be ignored. 

But sheff utd and boro were both in the top 7 when we beat them in fairness . 

Also of the current top 7 we have only played Bristol city and Fulham at home and we have beaten Fulham if you are counting it as the current top 7 .

All of our 4 defeats were against teams who have still to come to villa park excepting Fulham who we have beaten here . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Bristol City are the only team in the top 7 that we have beaten. I have to say that for me that is a real concern. If we continue with the poor results against those teams we have a big problem. For one that will mean we are unlikely to finish second, and that will mean we will have to beat, two of those teams to get promoted. I wasn’t having a dig, but those are the facts and can’t be ignored. 

Bristol city were above us when we beat them though?

Just now, villarocker said:

Taylor for left wing? Can cross a ball and will obviously stick to his defensive duties. 

Either that or persist with Thor or Snoddy in their weaker area?

Gabby for me is the best option there as he has played that role often and has the incentive of chasing a contract so could put  himself in the shop window - not great granted but rather that than someone out of position and snoddy far more effective on the right .

with Albert, green and Elmo injured our wide options are not great .

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Bristol city were above us when we beat them though?

Current top 7 we have beaten Preston Fulham and Bristol city - or at the time we beat them it’s brstol city boro and sheff utd - either way it’s three from 6 that we have beaten and not just one .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We still have Jack who started his career with us at left wing, if worst comes to worst. We can play Conor or Onomah in his #10 role and they can swap occasionally. 

Jack is also injured . 

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Gabby for me is the best option there as he has played that role often and has the incentive of chasing a contract so could put  himself in the shop window - not great granted but rather that than someone out of position and snoddy far more effective on the right .

with Albert, green and Elmo injured our wide options are not great .

Gabby makes sense there. I'd rather try that than move Grealish or stick onomah out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Against our 5 rivals in the top 6 we have taken 1 point from 15 away and scored once conceding 10 which is disappointing -  we don’t have to travel to any of the top  10 in our remaining games . 

great analysis

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's either that or play Birkir on the left  :ph34r:

Or keep Snodgrass there. I suspect he might plump for that option as it would keep Tuanzebe in the team at right back. 

If Jack is fit, he can play in the middle in a 4-2-3-1 without the ball, 4-1-4-1 with it. If Jack isn't fit, we could use Onomah, Lansbury or O'Hare there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Or keep Snodgrass there. I suspect he might plump for that option as it would keep Tuanzebe in the team at right back. 

If Jack is fit, he can play in the middle in a 4-2-3-1 without the ball, 4-1-4-1 with it. If Jack isn't fit, we could use Onomah, Lansbury or O'Hare there.

Elmo is injured too so I think tuanzebe will keep his place either way - snoddy left West Ham because he hated playing on the left , he is far better on the right .

i felt Lansbury should have been involved today .

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Elmo is injured too so I think tuanzebe will keep his place either way - snoddy left West Ham because he hated playing on the left , he is far better on the right .

i felt Lansbury should have been involved today .

Crikey Elmo too? Can't catch a break can we. Then yeah, one way or another, I think Lansbury needs to be involved. He's more likely to slip a defence-busting pass to Hogan than Hourihane is in that position.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'd bring Onomah on the left and Lansbury in the central position. Getting Jack back is vital. Any news on how long he is out for? 

Possible he may be fit on tuesday but doubtful - seems adomah is the worst of the 2  injuries .DWQwRbWWsAAWZDe?format=png&name=medium

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

But sheff utd and boro were both in the top 7 when we beat them in fairness . 

Also of the current top 7 we have only played Bristol city and Fulham at home and we have beaten Fulham if you are counting it as the current top 7 .

All of our 4 defeats were against teams who have still to come to villa park excepting Fulham who we have beaten here . 

Look I’m not trying to knock us, but for me it’s a concern. We’ve had a good run, my fear is that because our season started badly we have little wiggle room and therefore we need to beat teams around us, which generally we don’t have a great record against. Hopefully today was a blip and we hammer Preston on Tuesday. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Look I’m not trying to knock us, but for me it’s a concern. We’ve had a good run, my fear is that because our season started badly we have little wiggle room and therefore we need to beat teams around us, which generally we don’t have a great record against. Hopefully today was a blip and we hammer Preston on Tuesday. 

No doubt the home games with Cardiff derby and wolves will be huge in our quest for promotion - we will need wins