17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Just seen Wolves taunting us with `mind the gap'.

To be fair - that is quite clever and very funny.

Always liked Wolves. A proper old team - used to be great like us.

Hope they do well in the Premier League.

Think there is potential for us to be the "Man U/Man City" of the midlands.

I used to wish them well before they were above us.

I'll reconsider if and when we both go up. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

The mind the gap thing has been blown up, the media, especially the Birmingham Mail seems to be trying to manufacture a rivalry between Wolves and Villa that isn’t really there. 

Clearly we’re promotion rivals but that’s as far as it goes for me. 

At various parts of the season the noise from Villa Park has felt like it’s believed that it’s just a matter of time before you catch us, the ‘mind the gap’ chant is more a celebration that we really don’t think we’ll be caught. 

Its a catchy song, but I don’t think we’ll be singing anything about Villa after this season as we do about Albion regardless of the division we’re in. 

I can’t think of a team playing 4-1-4-1 against us off the top of my head to be honest, so that will be interesting. You were playing 442 in the first fixture. 

I’ve been tempted to go to Fulham to watch you today, do you know if it’s sold out?

If we both go up, I think the rivalry will become VERY real.

Aside from the geographics, there are the Chinese owner parallels, new money, sleeping giants waking etc.

It's what makes football exciting, especially if there is no SHA.

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s not really funny as it’s not original as teams have been using this for years to taunt their rivals.

this is the first time in what twenty years they have finished above us? I fancy us to do better than them in premier league as we have experienced player league manager and players. Also we won’t have ffp blocking us like this year

Hey. I think it's funny. I had not heard it before so did not realise it was not original.

40 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

You must be very young.

Ok. They did not win as much as us, but they were one helluva club at one time.

They've won about 50% of the honours we've won, have never been champions of Europe and have a smaller fan base and stadium.

Not sure I would or ever have considered them to be peers of ours. 

3 hours ago, Andy81 said:

The mind the gap thing has been blown up, the media, especially the Birmingham Mail seems to be trying to manufacture a rivalry between Wolves and Villa that isn’t really there. 

Clearly we’re promotion rivals but that’s as far as it goes for me. 

At various parts of the season the noise from Villa Park has felt like it’s believed that it’s just a matter of time before you catch us, the ‘mind the gap’ chant is more a celebration that we really don’t think we’ll be caught. 

Its a catchy song, but I don’t think we’ll be singing anything about Villa after this season as we do about Albion regardless of the division we’re in. 

I can’t think of a team playing 4-1-4-1 against us off the top of my head to be honest, so that will be interesting. You were playing 442 in the first fixture. 

I’ve been tempted to go to Fulham to watch you today, do you know if it’s sold out?

I think we have settled our focus on second spot.....so not really rivals ....spot for both of us.

you did actually play us at a time, when we was playing nothing like we are now.....but today will be tough for us.

long way to go.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When were wolves ever great like us? 

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away

If you consider we won the European Cup before it was even invented (;)) our records in the 20th Century isn't too dissimilar.

No one is suggesting Villa aren't the bigger club, and we've been crap for 35 years, but before that it was a lot closer.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have settled our focus on second spot.....so not really rivals ....spot for both of us.

you did actually play us at a time, when we was playing nothing like we are now.....but today will be tough for us.

long way to go.

Totally agree.  I can't see anything other than Wolves and Villa taking the two spots now, although I appreciate it's a bit more touch-and-go for Villa.

I think your form and injuries have come good at just the right time.

By the way, I think there are some restrictions as to when I can post on this board, so if I go quiet, it's just because I think I'm only allowed so many posts in a certain period.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we both go up, I think the rivalry will become VERY real.

Aside from the geographics, there are the Chinese owner parallels, new money, sleeping giants waking etc.

It's what makes football exciting, especially if there is no SHA.

Yeah, I'd agree we'd be rivals, I hope we are as that'll probably see us both rising together, but I can't ever see the hate we have for the blue and white duo emerging.

Edited by Andy81
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Yeah, I'd agree we'd be rivals, I hope we are as that'll probably see us both rising together, but I can't ever see the hate we have for the blue and white duo emerging.

Seems like we both have a problem with blue and white for different reasons.:D

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Seems like we both have a problem with blue and white for different reasons.:D

I can't stand either of em mate!  

I just hope Small Heath does everyone a favour and turn to shit again so this can be the perfect season.

By the way, I would upvote a load of posts on here too, but I'm unable to, just so you know :)

Oh, and thanks for being a thoroughly decent bunch, I'll piss off if I'm posting too much!

Edited by Andy81
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I can't stand either of em mate!  

I just hope Small Heath does everyone a favour and turn to shit again so this can be the perfect season.

By the way, I would upvote a load of posts on here too, but I'm unable to, just so you know :)

Oh, and thanks for being a thoroughly decent bunch, I'll piss off if I'm posting too much!

I never visit other clubs forums but I think you are a decent old bean mate - I’m glad to see your posts are interesting and not gloating .

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I never visit other clubs forums but I think you are a decent old bean mate - I’m glad to see your posts are interesting and not gloating .

Cheers mate, appreciated and likewise!

It's bothered me a bit this season how on Twitter the Wolves and Villa fans who act like arseholes tend to get all the attention and give an incorrect reflection of the two clubs.

There's a decent Villa fan that's started to post on MolMix under the name AndyGray but I think he uses the other Villa forum, Heroes and Villans I think it is.

34 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away

If you consider we won the European Cup before it was even invented (;)) our records in the 20th Century isn't too dissimilar.

No one is suggesting Villa aren't the bigger club, and we've been crap for 35 years, but before that it was a lot closer.

The Stan Cullis era with Billy Wright, Ron Flowers etc......was exceptional.

I particularly liked John Richards....met Dave Wagstaff, many times used to be pals with some of his friends and Knowlesy was a cultured midfielder.

We all have our Moments.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The Stan Cullis era with Billy Wright, Ron Flowers etc......was exceptional.

I particularly liked John Richards....met Dave Wagstaff, many times used to be pals with some of his friends and Knowlesy was a cultured midfielder.

We all have our Moments.

Absolutely.  That was all well before my time.  I was born and it all turned to shit for Wolves and Villa were Champions of Europe the year after :D

To be honest though, the only thing I can actually remember Villa winning was the league cup 3-0 against Leeds in 97.  That Savo goal was something else.

Edit:- I think you knocked us out that year actually 1-0 at Villa Park.  The late Dean Richards played a blinder for us.

Edited by Andy81

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Hey. I think it's funny. I had not heard it before so did not realise it was not original.

Wasn't meant as a dig.

Arsenal had been using tht against spursfor years. We even used it against the blosers !

• Like 1