17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Will make for a good game!

Thought about you lot earlier, was on the train and saw a Small Heath fan, said "Bad luck last weekend" (wasn't bad luck, they were shite, but you know) anyway, he just gave a goofy smile, think he was a spanner short of a full toolbox.

Must've been the club Rep:D

Edited by TRO

Yes, “mind the gap”. Hilarious, totally original too.

I was talking to a wolves fan the other day who was going on about the 12 point gap. I reminded him it was 17 points a few weeks ago. He replied with an awkward laugh.

I’m sure they’ll win the league at a canter, not much chance of us or anyone else catching them. I don’t quite get their fans fascination with how well they’re doing compared to us. It’s like they want to manufacture a rivalry with us. Maybe it’s because they know we’ll be up with them next season and baggies won’t be.

Anyway, that’s probably for the Wolves thread.

I reckon we can realistically aim for just over 90 points. That should be enough.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Just seen Wolves taunting us with `mind the gap'.

To be fair - that is quite clever and very funny.

Always liked Wolves. A proper old team - used to be great like us.

Hope they do well in the Premier League.

TBH its nice that they see us as a threat to taunt us now!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well we know how that one ends don't we. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

The mind the gap thing has been blown up, the media, especially the Birmingham Mail seems to be trying to manufacture a rivalry between Wolves and Villa that isn’t really there. 

Clearly we’re promotion rivals but that’s as far as it goes for me. 

At various parts of the season the noise from Villa Park has felt like it’s believed that it’s just a matter of time before you catch us, the ‘mind the gap’ chant is more a celebration that we really don’t think we’ll be caught. 

Its a catchy song, but I don’t think we’ll be singing anything about Villa after this season as we do about Albion regardless of the division we’re in. 

I can’t think of a team playing 4-1-4-1 against us off the top of my head to be honest, so that will be interesting. You were playing 442 in the first fixture. 

I’ve been tempted to go to Fulham to watch you today, do you know if it’s sold out?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

The mind the gap thing has been blown up, the media, especially the Birmingham Mail seems to be trying to manufacture a rivalry between Wolves and Villa that isn’t really there. 

At various parts of the season the noise from Villa Park has felt like it’s believed that it’s just a matter of time before you catch us, the ‘mind the gap’ chant is more a celebration that we really don’t think we’ll be caught. 

Its a catchy song, but I don’t think we’ll be singing anything about Villa after this season as we do about Albion regardless of the division we’re in. 

I can’t think of a team playing 4-1-4-1 against us off the top of my head to be honest, so that will be interesting. You were playing 442 in the first fixture. 

I’ve been tempted to go to Fulham to watch you today, do you know if it’s sold out?

Yep sold out mate - thanks for the kind words .

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yep sold out mate - thanks for the kind words .

Absolute pleasure.  Have a good day.  I'm kinda worried about Preston away for us to be honest.

Just now, Andy81 said:

Absolute pleasure.  Have a good day.  I'm kinda worried about Preston away for us to be honest.

Preston are a good side on their day , we played a very good game up there and beat them - I think wolves will win 

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

Well, I enjoyed it. 

I hope we both go up, and I don't necessary care in which order. I just want to get promoted. Hell, I'd even take going up through the playoff lottery.

I don't really think we can catch you either, but could be fun, though, Andy, if we could make a decent attempt at trying to chase you down. :D

I think Wolves will lose tonight... unfortunately i think we will too. Tough game which we have not done well historically of late. 

Be great to close the gap and if we beat them in afew weeks have a 6 point gap with 10-12 games to go. Put some real pressure.. as Bruce calls it squeeky bum time. 

Nonetheless.. i hope both sides go up. I am not from the area but id like more midlands clubs to go up

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Preston are a good side on their day , we played a very good game up there and beat them - I think wolves will win 

Yeah I think I saw that game. 2-0 to villa on TV?

preston had loads of injuries at the time I think. 

I saw them play well against us at home, but I’m happy Hugill won’t be playing. 

Our sold out following should help. 

How are you feeling about Villa today?

Edited by Andy81

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Well, I enjoyed it. 

I hope we both go up, and I don't necessary care in which order. I just want to get promoted. Hell, I'd even take going up through the playoff lottery.

I don't really think we can catch you either, but could be fun, though, Andy, if we could make a decent attempt at trying to chase you down. :D

Me too mate, as I’ve said elsewhere I really do like and respect Villa. 

I have to be honest though, I want us to win the league, it’d feel like a bit of a failure at this point to not take the title. 

You are right too, this challenge from Villa will make the rest of the season interesting. I don’t think we’ll reach Reading’s 106. 

We do have four tough games in Villa, Fulham, Cardiff, and Derby too. Three of those are away from home, so there potentially is your 12 points. 

It’s unlikely we’ll lose all four, but we probably won’t win them all either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Yeah I think I saw that game. 2-0 to villa on TV?

preston had loads of injuries at the time I think. 

I saw them play well against us at home, but I’m happy Hugill won’t be playing. 

Our sold out following should help. 

How are you feeling about Villa today?

To be honest all 3 results are as likely as each other , really could go any of those 3 ways and too close to call - I think it will be a low scoring game and one goal could nick it either way - a villa win would be massive today but it will be tight.

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Me too mate, as I’ve said elsewhere I really do like and respect Villa. 

I have to be honest though, I want us to win the league, it’d feel like a bit of a failure at this point to not take the title. 

You are right too, this challenge from Villa will make the rest of the season interesting. I don’t think we’ll reach Reading’s 106. 

We do have four tough games in Villa, Fulham, Cardiff, and Derby too. Three of those are away from home, so there potentially is your 12 points. 

It’s unlikely we’ll lose all four, but we probably won’t win them all either. 

I’d be happy to see you win against Fulham derby and Cardiff to be honest - promotion is the objective for us and a title shot would be a bonus . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

It’s not really funny as it’s not original as teams have been using this for years to taunt their rivals.

this is the first time in what twenty years they have finished above us? I fancy us to do better than them in premier league as we have experienced player league manager and players. Also we won’t have ffp blocking us like this year

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s not really funny as it’s not original as teams have been using this for years to taunt their rivals.

this is the first time in what twenty years they have finished above us? I fancy us to do better than them in premier league as we have experienced player league manager and players. Also we won’t have ffp blocking us like this year

I think wolves have huge finances and will be looking for comfortable mid table in the premier league .

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think wolves have huge finances and will be looking for comfortable mid table in the premier league .

I think we do as well though mate, just mendes  is better connected. I think Tony is trying to improve revenue streams here so club can rely on its self. Wolves way relies on mendes pulling rabbits out a hat hoping the6 perform well and sell them for big profits

similar to Watford. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

When were wolves ever great like us? 

• Like 1

Ive watched Wolves twice this season at home to and at home to Sheffield Utd. Cant praise those two performances enough, looked a class above, played like a top 6 prem side on both occassions. Think they will be comfortably mid table at worst when they go up. Sort of pleased for them too never had issues with Wolves. Obviously there's a Midland rivalry there, but dont despise them like the drips down the road or to a lesser extent the tesco bags.

• Like 1