17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Best way to play against Fulham is to press them high when they take their goal kicks. We did it at home and it worked well. Then we had Kodjia and now we have Hogan who arguably is better at harassing defenders from the front. 

I am wary of Cardiff because they have had terrible injuries also but are still up there. You just know a Warnock side will do whatever it takes to win, including getting a player injured. 

20 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Best way to play against Fulham is to press them high when they take their goal kicks. We did it at home and it worked well. Then we had Kodjia and now we have Hogan who arguably is better at harassing defenders from the front. 

I am wary of Cardiff because they have had terrible injuries also but are still up there. You just know a Warnock side will do whatever it takes to win, including getting a player injured. 

Don't be daft, a Warnock side cheat? He is always moaning about other teams who 'cheat' so I doubt his teams do.

Edited by Dick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Eastie said:

At villa park we shouldn’t be looking to play for a draw against anyone in this division - wolves are very beatable .

I honestly hope Villa approach the game in the manner you suggest.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Just like we did against Bristol city but 6-0 instead of 5 ;)

We softened em up for you :P

Actually, about Bristol City, everyone said January would kill them and so it proved.

The Villa v Wolves game promises to be a classic.  I mean no disrespect, the Villa away and Fulham away games for us will probably be our toughest of the games left and we could very well come away from those games with zero points.

I just think back to the game at Molineux and at the time Villa were on a great run and very confident of the three points from what I remember.  You set up to play a high back line and it was your undoing.

I really do think our best chance will be if Villa come at us, as you know, the pace of our forwards on the break will cause problems if there is space to run into.

Our one issue may be if Neves is suspended for that game as I believe he is only one booking away from a two match ban.

Have fun tomorrow!  Great away day, I have my tickets for Fulham away the following week.

• Like 3

Just now, Andy81 said:

Will make for a good game!

Thought about you lot earlier, was on the train and saw a Small Heath fan, said "Bad luck last weekend" (wasn't bad luck, they were shite, but you know) anyway, he just gave a goofy smile, think he was a spanner short of a full toolbox.

You would think Cotterill would be able to afford a car?

• Haha 1

On 15/02/2018 at 20:24, Eastie said:

I think Cardiff are all fur coat and no knickers - can’t see them lasting the pace when we get to the tickly  bit as Bruce calls it .

Thank you Gene Hunt. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Andy81 said:

We softened em up for you :P

Actually, about Bristol City, everyone said January would kill them and so it proved.

The Villa v Wolves game promises to be a classic.  I mean no disrespect, the Villa away and Fulham away games for us will probably be our toughest of the games left and we could very well come away from those games with zero points.

I just think back to the game at Molineux and at the time Villa were on a great run and very confident of the three points from what I remember.  You set up to play a high back line and it was your undoing.

I really do think our best chance will be if Villa come at us, as you know, the pace of our forwards on the break will cause problems if there is space to run into.

Our one issue may be if Neves is suspended for that game as I believe he is only one booking away from a two match ban.

Have fun tomorrow!  Great away day, I have my tickets for Fulham away the following week.

Honestly I feel the opposite. You lot are a good side but I think if a team wants to beat you they absolutely cannot give your back line/wingbacks time on the ball. So high pressure is the best way to beat you. The worst position is to go a goal down against you, because then you can just drop those wing backs deep and voila, we are facing a back 5 or six with an extra bank in front of that which is almost impossible to break down.

So yeah up and at ya I say :) But it should be a cracking game when it comes.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

I thought the way to beat Wolves was the Warnock kick them  way as they don’t seem to like physical teams ? 

trouble is we don’t really play that way 

that said we look a far better team at the moment than we did in the fixture earlier this season 

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Honestly I feel the opposite. You lot are a good side but I think if a team wants to beat you they absolutely cannot give your back line/wingbacks time on the ball. So high pressure is the best way to beat you. The worst position is to go a goal down against you, because then you can just drop those wing backs deep and voila, we are facing a back 5 or six with an extra bank in front of that which is almost impossible to break down.

So yeah up and at ya I say :) But it should be a cracking game when it comes.

That's a fair point, some teams have done well by pressuring our full backs.  Forest beat us by packing their box and getting a bit of fortune at the other end, which I don't think a home team could really do.

Last weekend however QPR first half tried to put pressure on as you suggest and we were getting in behind them at will.

Villa are clearly a better side than QPR however.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

That's a fair point, some teams have done well by pressuring our full backs.  Forest beat us by packing their box and getting a bit of fortune at the other end, which I don't think a home team could really do.

Last weekend however QPR first half tried to put pressure on as you suggest and we were getting in behind them at will.

Villa are clearly a better side than QPR however.

Should be a fascinating clash of styles! Has anyone played our new  "Pep at Bayern" style 4-1-4-1 against you yet? I seem to recall we were still on 4-4-2 when you beat us at your place?

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Should be a fascinating clash of styles! Has anyone played our new  "Pep at Bayern" style 4-1-4-1 against you yet? I seem to recall we were still on 4-4-2 when you beat us at your place?

Yes we played 4-4-2 as we had beaten Forest, Burton & Bolton in the previous 3 games with that formation.

Wolves walked through the middle of our center mid pairing of Whelan and Hourihane though.

We had Davis and Kodjia as the 2 upfront - We are a a completely different team these days though and I think we will beat Wolves.

• Like 2