17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

39 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think the last few weeks show you how a putting winning run together of 4 or 5 games can change everything. Even if we lose the odd game we need to make sure we follow up with a run of wins to get back in the frame. I still have us finishing on around 86 points which I think will be enough for 2nd. I hope anyway. 

God i hope so.

Don't think my heart will cope with the playoffs

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's funny. To be clear I don't actually think this will happen BUT.

Let's say we win next week and Wolves lose again. 

Assuming we beat them at home there is only 6 other points to make up with plenty more to play for. 

It seems like they are miles ahead but it's still not beyond the realm of possibility. 

Some of our ludicrous dropped points at the start of the season and over Christmas really put this into perspective. 

I will be very happy with second.

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I wonder if that is luck, or alternatively a well-structured squad designed to be resilient to the gruelling slog that the Championship represents.

Agreed. Took a little longer than I anticipated, and I certainly have not agreed with a lot of Bruce's decisions, but kudos to him, he has the team playing well now and looking likely to go up automatically.

I know wolves are miles ahead and unlikely but have you seen wolves remaining fixtures? They have to go away to us boro cardiff fulham and Leeds.

Still have derby at home. That is not a easy run at all for them. Once we have sheff united out the way. We have fulham away which will be tough. But then have Cardiff Leeds, wolves  and derby at home

I know wolves are miles ahead and unlikely but have you seen wolves remaining fixtures? They have to go away to us boro cardiff fulham and Leeds.

Still have derby at home. That is not a easy run at all for them. Once we have sheff united out the way. We have fulham away which will be tough. But then have Cardiff Leeds, wolves  and derby at home

Lets not carried away. 
We haven't been in second position even once this season, and its going to need a big improvement from Villa for the rest of the season to even scrape second.

Forget about 1st. There is probably more chance of us finishing 7th than finishing 1st. 

Edited by ender4

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Lets not carried away. 
We haven't been in second position even once this season, and its going to need a big improvement from Villa for the rest of the season to even scrape second.

Forget about 1st. There is probably more chance of us finishing 7th than finishing 1st. 

Not sure it needs a big improvement - beat derby 2-0 at home and we would be above them so we are not far off - just need to keep playing as we have in recent weeks and things will take care of themselves - derby have bottled it twice in this position in the last 3 years , let them have all the pressure - we have a huge;y ecperiencedcsode amd that will bode well in the run in .

Let’s see how the other cope with the pressure - we are perfectly poised to strike with players coming into form and most injuries behind us - looking at the squads of the top 6 I would strongly fancy villa from here onwards .

21 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Lets not carried away. 

Not really. If we can manage 2 points per game we end up on 86 points which I think will be enough. That is achievable. The key is to keep winning 3/4/5 games in a row. Even if we lose one those little runs of winning games propel you up the table. The key for us are the Derby, Wolves and Cardiff games at home. They will define our season I feel. 

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Not really. If we can manage 2 points per game we end up on 86 points which I think will be enough. That is achievable. The key is to keep winning 3/4/5 games in a row. Even if we lose one those little runs of winning games propel you up the table. The key for us are the Derby, Wolves and Cardiff games at home. They will define our season I feel. 

you think 86 points will get us first?  
i think that would barely scrape us into second.

Sounds daft with them being 12 points ahead but Wolves must now be the target - just getting to and then staying in 2nd place isn't really a target as such. As others have said, if we beat them at home that's only 9 points we need to make on them. They need to lose some, for sure, but it's about blumin time....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Lets not carried away. 

This mad me laugh yet it unashamedly true :(

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Lets not carried away. 

Or, to be factual just 3 points currently?

To be even more specific, if we beaten Derby 2-0 instead of losing 2-0 we'd be in 2nd place right now.

But why let facts get in the way of a good story eh, big improvement needed guys............apparently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Lets not carried away. 

We just won 4 in a row so we've seen the improvement from a poor December. We just need to maintain it now. As for Wolves it's very unlikely they will drop such a lead so Id rather they be practically promoted by the time they play us so not 100% up for it. 

I think 1st place is absolutely achievable, like @Jareth said, Wolves has to be the target, they aren’t really even that far ahead of us, what is there 19 games left? They lost to forest at home! They can very easily lose many more games yet, they haven’t had their wobble yet but odds are they will. 

We should be excited and optimistic, let’s go for the title! 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if taking the soft-centred, don't-like-it-up-em, forrins of Wolves away for winter sun this week helps them or makes it worse when they come back.  Let's hope the arctic winds are blowing through Portman Road next week.

• Haha 1