17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

If in the summer we knew Kodija would miss the whole season there is not a chance we would have expected promotion. I think the fact we did so well without him made us think we can cope. But now the goals have dried up it's shows how crucial he is to us. 

Without a decent striker signed in January we can forget about promotion. 

• Like 2

I'm not so depressed, the second spot race is intense and nervewracking. I'll be glad just to stay in the races for play-offs - I have a feeling we might be ready for them at the end of the season, with everyone back and players like Grealish with half a season under their belt. 

• Like 1

On 3. desember 2017 at 14:14, villa82 said:

If todays table was the final table at the end of the season I would say a big yes. Playoff semi final vs SheffieldU and a final vs Derby/BristolC. 

The chance of getting 2. are less than us finish outside top 6.

I stand by this.

Good omen? The Play-Off Final is the 26th of may. 

11 hours ago, lp_villa830 said:

Next year is going to be depressing. 

I disagree.  If we are still in this perfectly pleasant league next year it will be with a different manager and we may be enjoying this perfectly pleasant league with some entertaining and enterprising football with more of the youth like Green and Grealish and O'Hare taking their chance. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just looked at the table first time, how the hell are we still 5th? We are going to be out of the play offs come Sheffield united game more pressure that these losers can't handle

We had a run of about 9 wins in 12 or something from middle of September to November.

I fancy us to have another run like that in the second half of the season. Next few weeks won't be pretty though.

We have frustratingly hit a run just as we were threatening to do something as has seemed the way the last seven years.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We had a run of about 9 wins in 12 or something from middle of September to November.

I fancy us to have another run like that in the second half of the season. Next few weeks won't be pretty though.

We have frustratingly hit a run just as we were threatening to do something as has seemed the way the last seven years.

I think once terry is back we will have that leadership back on the pitch. I like chester but i dont see him screaming and organising the team like terry does.

We probably will go on a run but if we are so far behind we will have to put the pressure on. 

If we had a fit kodjia with this squad we would be in top 3 i have no doubt about that. We just need to be around the top 5 by the bristol game

On 11/20/2017 at 09:03, omariqy said:

I think we will see Sheff Utd fall away at some stage. Not so sure on Cardiff. 

Next 6 games for us - I reckon 11 points.

Sunderland (H) - W

Ipswich (H) - D

Leeds (A) - L

Millwall (H) - W

Derby County (A) - D

Sheff Utd (H) - W

We need to be within 3 points of Sheff United come the game against Derby County. They then have Preston away and then us.  

So far we have 8 points with a game to go. It was a pretty pessimistic guess but unfortunately looking quite likely now or maybe even slightly less.

Next 6 games after Sheff United I am going for 9 points. Again not enough and we may be well adrift off 2nd and maybe in the chasing pack for playoffs come February. 

Brentford (a) - L
Boro (a) - D
Bristol (h) - D
Forest (a) - W
Barnsley (h) - W
Sheff Utd (a) - D

On 11/29/2017 at 22:32, omariqy said:

So December - how do we see it going?

Leeds (a) - D

Millwall - W

Derby (a) - W

Sheff United - D

Brentford (a) - D

Boro (a) - L

So 9 points from 6 games. 

On 11/29/2017 at 22:34, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you really think we will go three games without winning? I'd be shocked. 

Yes

• Like 1

Millwall was the only game I think we messed up seriously in. I was happy enough with a point at Leeds and sadly for where we are as a club Derby away is one of our toughest fixtures of the season so a loss was always likely in that game given our lack of goals.

I agree Sheffield United is a must win for many reasons as in our current state I wouldn't be holding your breath on away wins at either Brentford or Boro.