17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

One thing we certainly have in our favour is that we have the big game players who have played in high pressure games before. Fulham have some, but not as many. That should give us the edge, just based on that I think we would be able to keep calm heads and come back from a goal down more easily than Fulham would.

I am so nervous about this one, but quietly confident at the same time. 

One of the people I am working with on a project at work is a Fulham fan, we had a good chat about the final and the upshot is - both sets of fans are bricking it. We didn't want Fulham in the final, and they did not want us.

Here's to a great game tomorrow. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

One thing we certainly have in our favour is that we have the big game players who have played in high pressure games before. Fulham have some, but not as many. That should give us the edge, just based on that I think we would be able to keep calm heads and come back from a goal down more easily than Fulham would.

I am so nervous about this one, but quietly confident at the same time. 

One of the people I am working with on a project at work is a Fulham fan, we had a good chat about the final and the upshot is - both sets of fans are bricking it. We didn't want Fulham in the final, and they did not want us.

Here's to a great game tomorrow. 

I agree.

The team that will win.....is the one who wants it most.

• Like 1

I am fine if we stay in the Championship (personal opinion) so I am pretty calm.

But my inner panic today is zero, I just think we will win comfortably. Just my gut, I have no evidence to back it up. Maybe feel different when the game starts :)

Small feature in the Guardian about SB:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/25/aston-villa-steve-bruce-solace-torrid-few-months

When Steve Bruce is asked whether work on strengthening the team will start immediately if Aston Villa win promotion to the Premier League on Saturday, the first thought that comes into his head has nothing to do with new signings. “The one thing I need this year, more than any other year, is a holiday,” he says.

The Championship can be a grind at the best of times with all those Saturday-Tuesday fixtures and all the more so when a 46-game season is extended by another three weeks because of the play-offs, but Bruce is looking forward to a break for reasons that transcend football.

More at the link.

It's been an enjoyable season. 2 years ago we were a shambles heading the same way as Sunderland and Man City before them. It's great to have a TEAM again, players who obviously give a damn. In the space of 90 minutes it could be sheer euphoria for everyone or utter despair. Nervous as hell.

• Like 1

Pretty much. I’ve really enjoyed this season promotion will seal it as a great season for me. I’m not entirely convinced by the premier league these days, genuinely think the championship was more exciting of a league this season but for sake of the club we need to be in the PL for the finances etc I get that so obviously hope we go up but in terms of entertainment I’m not sure the PL is great these days. 

I don't understand the people saying they are fine to stay in the championship.

For the financial well being of the club we need to get promoted this season.

We won't have a better chance than this to go up, it's make or break time.

• Like 1

It's nice to play a final at Wembley where we will have a really decent chance of winning, without playing one of the Premier League elite. 

I can't wait to have watched the first 10 minutes of the game. I think that will tell us just how much, if any, the occasion is getting to the young Fulham "stars". If they run a ball out or cross a bad ball etc, then start laying it off rather than taking on people, that'll tell me the stagefright kicked in and that will help us greatly. But, if they just keep running at us and taking us on, it'll be a tough day for our defence. 

The Fulham manager has already said this week that they need to run at us and use their pace. If they do that I think Fulham will win. But, if there is any sign of nerves from them, I think Villa will win it. I can imagine a scenario where Villa take the lead after 35 minutes then hold tight for the rest of the game with about 40,000 Villa fans chewing the tips of their fingers until the final whistle goes and the biggest piss up in recent history starts :flag:

• Like 1

It's mind-boggling how high the stakes are in this single match. Champions league final is just peanuts in comparison!

Wembley hosts the English Football League play-off finals this weekend, with the winner of the Championship play-off final on Saturday set to receive at least £160m in revenue.

That figure, which has been calculated by Deloitte and is spread over three years, could rise to £280m if either Aston Villa or Fulham manage to survive one season after reaching the top flight.

"Whilst in football terms the Champions League final (between Liverpool and Real Madrid) is the bigger game, the financial rewards on offer in Kiev are dwarfed by those at stake in north London," said Dan Jones, head of the Sports Business Group at Deloitte.

That's probably the key to winning as well. Our players should handle the pressure best, even thrive on it.

If they don't...we go again!?

Edited by Gompedyret
boggling, not bogging

The stakes are just unreal.

Ascension or oblivion,

£200m or £15m for the reconstruction of the squad.

Starting to get nervous now, will be a total wreck in a few hours.

And by the end of the night I will be either a euphoric or a unstrung drunk.

At least it's nice to again finally feel some emotions when watching Villa.

UTV!