17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again, why? 

I'm not asking for any other reason than I'm interested. 

I saw your squad as a collection of good individuals, which can be bettered by a less talented group who work well as a team (i.e. Iceland against England).

Also some doubts about whether Bruce would be the manager to challenge for autos.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i didnt want the sheff united game televised as you know now they will highlight the mistakes jedinak made and try ramp up the pressure on us 

Lets hope they can handle the pressure of a wet Tuesday night in Sheffield then :)

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I agree with your re second. However your point about ppg doesn't really stack up because that is not how football works. We are not the same proposition we were back in December. We may have spent 4 months closing the gap by 2 points but that does not mean that will play out for the next part of the season. We have momentum and players coming back. The fixture list is also kinder to us.

If we continue the way we are currently I don’t see why we can’t get up to what’s Wolves achieved in the first half of the season. On paper we’ve only got 2/3 tough away games and with our home form we’d fancy beating anyone. It’s nice the players are starting to talk about acheiving this year. Let’s build some momentum on and off the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yeah but our players won't be watching that?

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i didnt want the sheff united game televised as you know now they will highlight the mistakes jedinak made and try ramp up the pressure on us 

I’m sure all at Villa are aware of the mistakes in that game. It should spur them on really. 

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was going to say I'd be surprised if you finished second, but looking at the table I probably wouldnt.

Derby bottle it every season, it's what they do.

Cardiff will drop away.

We wont come second.

So that leaves you or teams from Shef UTD down, who need to catch up more points than we do.

Villa are finishing second, congratulations.

Its much too early for any team to get too carried away.....there will be many surprising twists and turns.

• Like 1

Beat the Blades and it's well and truly on. That would be maximum points from 5 teams with an average placing of 10th including outlier that is 19th place Barnsley. 

It would be 3 wins against playoff teams/hopefuls out of 3 as well. Our fixtures after that are much kinder and I expect us to be putting a huge run together after that.

Of course, Villa are known to kill our optimism with one swift blow. Every time. But I have a feeling now it will be different.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I saw your squad as a collection of good individuals, which can be bettered by a less talented group who work well as a team (i.e. Iceland against England).

Also some doubts about whether Bruce would be the manager to challenge for autos.

And your thoughts are feasible.....however i think we are now emeging as a "team"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Beat the Blades and it's well and truly on. That would be maximum points from 5 teams with an average placing of 10th including outlier that is 19th place Barnsley. 

It would be 3 wins against playoff teams/hopefuls out of 3 as well. Our fixtures after that are much kinder and I expect us to be putting a huge run together after that.

Of course, Villa are known to kill our optimism with one swift blow. Every time. But I have a feeling now it will be different.

I accept your sentiment, but we are just over half way.....its a marathon.

We are well positioned now.

We no doubt strengthen our position by winning every game, but we all know that is a big ask.....just the aim.

just take it game by game......its easier on the nerves.

There are no easy games and the ones we doubt, we can win.....and the ones we expect to win,can be banana skins.

its sadly ,in reality ,all so unpredictable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I accept your sentiment, but we are just over half way.....its a marathon.

We are well positioned now.

We no doubt strengthen our position by winning every game, but we all know that is a big ask.....just the aim.

just take it game by game......its easier on the nerves.

There are no easy games and the ones we doubt, we can win.....and the ones we expect to win,can be banana skins.

its sadly ,in reality ,all so unpredictable.

Closer to two thirds into the season than we are to halfway - it’s time  to see who handles the pressure best on the run in and we have many players who have been there and done it and have big game experience - I’d fancy villa from here .

21 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Closer to two thirds into the season than we are to halfway - it’s time  to see who handles the pressure best on the run in and we have many players who have been there and done it and have big game experience - I’d fancy villa from here .

Manager too.

Of the others, only Cardiff can claim the same and honestly, I'd say they're the most likely to fall away (of the current top 5).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Manager too.

Of the others, only Cardiff can claim the same and honestly, I'd say they're the most likely to fall away (of the current top 5).

Of the current top 5 I don’t see Cardiff or Bristol city being around come may - fulham , boro and maybe Leeds will be close though.

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our team ethic and work rate is off the charts. I've not seen a Villa team as close knit as these appear to be in almost a decade and no silly gimmicks were required to achieve it either.

I can certainly understand that opinion regarding Bruce, though perhaps 4 promotions would argue otherwise. 

We haven't actually hit anything like our potential up until very recently. Yet here we are, 3 points off automatic promotion. If we stave off the injuries it is all on Steve now. 

• Like 3