17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

It's simples, if our destiny is promotion then tomorrow we will see Barnsley put to the sword convincingly. Honestly think it'll be a comfortable 2-0, possibly more. Our lot have had a steep learning curve and I sense they have a desire to win now, next time we lose it will be because a better team beat us, but that won't be often as the standard in this league is quite poor. 

OR - Whelan spoons it past Johnstone and we lose 0-1 triggering a spectacular loss of confidence and SHA overtake us in the final week. 

56 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's simples, if our destiny is promotion then tomorrow we will see Barnsley put to the sword convincingly. Honestly think it'll be a comfortable 2-0, possibly more. Our lot have had a steep learning curve and I sense they have a desire to win now, next time we lose it will be because a better team beat us, but that won't be often as the standard in this league is quite poor. 

OR - Whelan spoons it past Johnstone and we lose 0-1 triggering a spectacular loss of confidence and SHA overtake us in the final week. 

I much prefer option 1.

• Like 1

Barnsley won't come at us like Bristol City did so it will be a different game I'm sure.

Can see it being tight, we do struggle to break teams down sometimes when they sit in, assuming of course that's their plan (which I'm sure it will be after watching what we did to Bristol City).

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Barnsley won't come at us like Bristol City did so it will be a different game I'm sure.

Can see it being tight, we do struggle to break teams down sometimes when they sit in, assuming of course that's their plan (which I'm sure it will be after watching what we did to Bristol City).

Wolves didnt manage a shot on target against them, this is not going to be easy!

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wolves didnt manage a shot on target against them, this is not going to be easy!

Agreed.

But different game, different set up, different atmosphere and we pose our own unique threat when in form.

If we click we can smash them.

We need to be attacking these team until they are overwhelmed.

Wolves could have also been having a slight off day.

Cardiff and Derby deserved to beat us as did Wolves. We can cling on to the hope of a better showing when they all visit Villa Park in the second half of the season. The Cardiff and Derby games in particular look huge. The Wednesday defeat was a bad night out - they scored a worldy after a few seconds and Terry and Snodgrass went off injured. I totally missed the Reading game to be fair so unfair of me to comment. Brentford probably deserved to do the double over us in fairness to them.

As for the other teams near the top - We've taken 4 points off Bristol City and Middlesbrough this season. We beat Fulham at home and Preston away. drew with Leeds away and Sheff Utd at home (courtesy of that Jedinak howler). We've shown we can compete with them.

But there's 7/8/9 games there of the 19 to come that may prove tricky. Sheff Utd [a] (Jan), Fulham [a], Preston, Sheff Weds [a] (Feb), Wolves (Mar), Reading, Cardiff, Leeds, Derby, (Apr)

Of the other 10 we need to do the double over Barnsley, Norwich, QPR, Ipswich, Sunderland, Burton, Bolton and turn the draws against Millwall, Hull and SHA into wins.

Point made the other night was if we want to be in the race for second we'll need at least another 11/12 wins from somewhere and can probably only afford another 2/3 losses. Too many slip ups and we'll be left fighting it out for a play off place.

A win tomorrow would be a great start.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Cardiff and Derby deserved to beat us as did Wolves. We can cling on to the hope of a better showing when they all visit Villa Park in the second half of the season. The Cardiff and Derby games in particular look huge. The Wednesday defeat was a bad night out - they scored a worldy after a few seconds and Terry and Snodgrass went off injured. I totally missed the Reading game to be fair so unfair of me to comment. Brentford probably deserved to do the double over us in fairness to them.

As for the other teams near the top - We've taken 4 points off Bristol City and Middlesbrough this season. We beat Fulham at home and Preston away. drew with Leeds away and Sheff Utd at home (courtesy of that Jedinak howler). We've shown we can compete with them.

But there's 7/8/9 games there of the 19 to come that may prove tricky. Sheff Utd [a] (Jan), Fulham [a], Preston, Sheff Weds [a] (Feb), Wolves (Mar), Reading, Cardiff, Leeds, Derby, (Apr)

Of the other 10 we need to do the double over Barnsley, Norwich, QPR, Ipswich, Sunderland, Burton, Bolton and turn the draws against Millwall, Hull and SHA into wins.

Point made the other night was if we want to be in the race for second we'll need at least another 11/12 wins from somewhere and can probably only afford another 2/3 losses. Too many slip ups and we'll be left fighting it out for a play off place.

If it was a distance race.....the trick would be stay in touch until striking your final run in.

We are doing that.....

We just need to keep winning.....draws are as bad as defeats......I honestly don't see us losing many at all, draws are my biggest concern.

we've had a bad run of it over the last few years @TRO. We need to find a ruthless streak. My point is we should have more confidence in the boys. They've proven they are up for the fight. I'm not suggesting arrogance in expecting the wins. You and I in particular have banged on in the past about earning what we get enough! But just because we fell apart last year and have had the stuffing knocked out of us basically since Milner left doesn't mean we shouldn't have a bit of swagger about us. The margins are SO fine. But we aren't 4th by mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Aston Villa managed 3 goals against them away from home.

Edited by Brumerican

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

It could also be important how those points come. If we batter all the scrubs yet lose to our rivals it will be very bad. 

This is the first time I think we have actually stepped up a gear and showing our potential. Even on the last run you could see we hadn't really been playing well but we're still wining.

The last three league games there has been significant improvement (two good sides, two new managers also)

Also snodgrass looks on a different level at the moment and Hogan is starting to look classy. Big jts back hopefully if he remains fit who knows it might get better and better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is the first time I think we have actually stepped up a gear and showing our potential. Even on the last run you could see we hadn't really been playing well but we're still wining.

The last three league games there has been significant improvement (two good sides, two new managers also)

Also snodgrass looks on a different level at the moment and Hogan is starting to look classy. Big jts back hopefully if he remains fit who knows it might get better and better.

It's almost like we've started Agnew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

we've had a bad run of it over the last few years @TRO. We need to find a ruthless streak. My point is we should have more confidence in the boys. They've proven they are up for the fight. I'm not suggesting arrogance in expecting the wins. You and I in particular have banged on in the past about earning what we get enough! But just because we fell apart last year and have had the stuffing knocked out of us basically since Milner left doesn't mean we shouldn't have a bit of swagger about us. The margins are SO fine. But we aren't 4th by mistake.

No we are not.....and we would all do well to look at why we are......as to why we are not 2nd or third.

glass half full ;)

We are improving steadily if inchoate at the same time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Everytime we gain momentum we stumble across games like this where we are all too confident. I get nervous that this game will be another Brentford or Millwall. I hope the players aren't going into this game too complacent. 

A win tomorrow is so so crucial. I hope we're fired up for it

I know what you mean.....this is where the "killer instinct" needs to kick in.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Arent Barnsley all out attack home and away?

They were very impressive I thought at Villa Park although half of that team have since left.

Most important thing to deal with tomorrow is complacency as the game will be harder than the 4-0 up there. We'll also have to sleep on whether Derby drop points or move eight points clear.

I can't see us finishing outside the top 6, but I'm not confident of finishing top 2. 

I think if we go up it will be via playoffs.