Honeymoon (Mexico, Aruba, Zanzibar, Sri Lanka or elsewhere?)

Troglodyte

Not a honeymoon, but got back from Cancun, stayed at the riu cancun for 4 nights 5 days. Staff and facilities were amazing, food was good, rooms were average, but what got me was so much noise! When we stayed in the Dominican we had this little villa and was so much more peaceful. Would recommend for young couples or singles as its 5 mins walk from all the action. But prob wont be back.

Not been in Travel for a while but saw this thread up there - we went to Mexico in the end and stayed at the Iberostar Tucan in Playacar, just outisde of Playa del Carmen.  Had an awesome time.

Our biggest worry was the weather but it was glorious for the first week and a bit of a mixed bag for the second as we got towards the end of August.  Most of our pre-booked activities took place in the first week anyway (Tulum, swimming with turtles, Chichén Itzá, horse riding, Xcaret - all great!)so we got relatively lucky with that.  The hotel itself was fantastic in some respects, for example the wildlife - there were monkeys, flamingos, peacocks etc. all within the grounds.  Food was pretty good - not spectacular but a good range and different restaurants to visit.  Rooms were a little plain but didn't spend much time there!  We wanted somewhere with nightly entertainment but that was also a mixed bag.  The main guy from the entertainment team was pretty annoying (although quite funny to laugh at!) and the acts they had on were sometimes decent, sometimes awful.  Headed into PDC a couple of nights as a livelier alternative.  Did Coco Bongo one night and enjoyed it immensely, although there were a lot of miserable people there considering the price they'd paid!  Also watched the Cirque du Soleil show (Joyà) at its purpose-built venue, and it was more entertaining than watching it in an arena as we did in Sheffield a couple of years ago.

• 1 year later...
On 19/07/2017 at 18:50, Dom_Wren said:

Just got back from Dominican, grand palladium bavaro in punta cana, any questions ask! loved it but the reps that sell timeshares killed it for me. so rude and arrogant/pushy, i **** em off and disconnected the phone to my room and put the do not disturb sign up. rocket polishers. other staff were fantastic and plenty of pools/places to eat and drink. place is gorgeous!

Went back last week to celebrate anniversary. Was Class! had a concierge that set up reservations and what not. Reps nowhere near as pushy, just sat by the pool all day, siesta and then dinner at night, was amazing. Staff are so friendly. 24 hour sports bar. Massive complex so things weren't busy, never felt unsafe. Will deffo go back. Cheap as well, not sure if its 5 star like they advertise, but they really look after guests.

• 10 months later...
On 15/07/2018 at 17:34, Dom_Wren said:

Not a honeymoon, but got back from Cancun, stayed at the riu cancun for 4 nights 5 days. Staff and facilities were amazing, food was good, rooms were average, but what got me was so much noise! When we stayed in the Dominican we had this little villa and was so much more peaceful. Would recommend for young couples or singles as its 5 mins walk from all the action. But prob wont be back.

Going back for 4 nights in late july for a stag do......

I'm looking at going for 2 weeks all inclusive in December, got the baby so something between 25 - 30° is perfect for me

Looking at riveria maya as the option flying from brum at sirenis Hotel or the royalton Hotel in cancun from frankfurt, the brum option is about £1500 cheaper 

Anyone been to both areas (or even better the hotels?) 

On 10/06/2020 at 17:28, villa4europe said:

I'm looking at going for 2 weeks all inclusive in December, got the baby so something between 25 - 30° is perfect for me

Looking at riveria maya as the option flying from brum at sirenis Hotel or the royalton Hotel in cancun from frankfurt, the brum option is about £1500 cheaper 

I've been to Cancun in November and the weather was perfect.  Not been to the other place but as both places seem a similar distance to Chitchen Itza and the weather would be the same then £1500 cheaper would make my decision easier.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 16:11, Dom_Wren said:

Going back for 4 nights in late july for a stag do......

I take that back, the groom didn't have a passport, and wait lines are months, so now heading to Nashville.

On 10/06/2020 at 12:28, villa4europe said:

Riu Palace, Rivera Maya, Absolute class!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

complete change of plan...

went in to a travel agent and did something I've never done before, wheeled off a 8 item checklist I wanted, the main thing being a swim up pool because we think its a better set up with our 10 month old, anywhere in the world...the lady emailed us back 10 options and we picked one

if we can get the right seats on the plane (hammock for the litte un) then I should be booking the royalton in punta cana for December 

Â