• Kodjia
    • Hutton (Baker 25)
    • Elphick (Adaomah 82)
    • Davis (Kodjia 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Back to the game glad to see we got our revenge on Wednesday after what happened first game of the season

Another clean sheet and I have it as 1 goal conceded in 5 games. The tide is turning guys...we are back

I still think there is a fair way to go......and SB says so too.....but the important thing is we are on the road to recovery of that I am sure.

we will get the odd set back, but overall I think we are back on the rails.

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

......where's the post to say......it was only against 10 men?

just waiting for it.:)

@TRO they are locked in the match thread....along with the ones saying Bruce does not know what he's doing bringing on a full back when there's 2 centre backs on the bench and why are we playing 442 and we are trying our hardest to throw this away and and and......

as a few have said on here...its all about building for next season....bring it on!!!! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, imavillan said:

@TRO they are locked in the match thread....along with the ones saying Bruce does not know what he's doing bringing on a full back when there's 2 centre backs on the bench and why are we playing 442 and we are trying our hardest to throw this away and and and......

as a few have said on here...its all about building for next season....bring it on!!!! 

I never went today.....but my brother-in law just called me and give me a run down.

said Bruce knows what he is doing, just needs time to do it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

just back. We were never under an real threat tbh. Think we got much better after Baker went off. Should have scored more,but missed a few decent chances.

We did what was needed without risking the win. Happy with it. Few players had very good games, Jedinak was very good and looked decent when moved to centre back.

Agree with all that. Our finishing is really poor. One match I would really like to see us bury a side. I also can't believe SW are in the play offs either. They are a piss poor side.

Oh and a final thought Bannan is as bang average as he always was in a Villa shirt.

SW have some of the dreadful fans. When we were walking back to the past the coach park it was all kicking off. I suspect that was a bit of goading from Villa fans but there was bunch of their fans foaming at the mouth, swearing, rattling the fence and trying climb over it. One SW fan threw a traffic cone that hit an old guy on the head and they some started throwing stones and what looked like bits of brick at the Villa fans. Usually the police are all along that fence but nowhere in sight today until the noise was such that they came down and tried to restore order.  

Further along we passed about 10-15 SW fans who had obviously spent the afternoon in the Yewtree. Blokes in their 30s at a guess, all pissed up looking for trouble. Mind you there were a bunch of police following them filming them so I suspect they were 'known'.

1 hour ago, NottingVilla said:

Meh, was hoping we would lose to speed up the exit of Bruce.

*Shakes head in despair*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well that was just silly. 

We've won, kept a clean sheet, played all the defenders, looked rubbish at times and ordained a Scotsman as a superhero.

I figured we might manage a point if we played well and of course, so long as we didn't get any more injuries - five minutes in I noticed Gary Gardner was playing - who's missing? Lansbury - bugger - that's our chances gone. We looked sort of half switched on, half switched off without him, keeping Wednesday pretty much where we wanted them but not creating anything. Anything at all. In fact, struggling to pass the ball out of our own half quite a lot. A strange game in which not much of anything was happening.

And then obviously, if we're going to have a load of players injured, Nathan Baker isn't going to miss out - he found someone to bang into and off he went...but...there was a thing...a strange light...a peculiar moment; special you might say - because as Alan Hutton stood up off the bench a noise went around the ground, an excitement, something magical - the ground came to life, the players found some sort of spirit - picture if you will the statue of liberty only with Alan Hutton's face.

That happened.

Honestly.

Galvanised, we started to get at them - the fact that we had a midfielder at centre half, a right back at right wing, a left back at left wing and a winger playing up front didn't seem to matter - the spirit of Hutton was upon us - and emboldened we pressed forward. Inspired by Alan's example, we still couldn't pass, but we did manage to look a bit more dangerous - and from a clever corner the Kodj rose like a Scottish salmon and nodded past the bloke in a hi-vis jacket to put us ahead.

We had about seven added minutes because of the injuries and because the ref was a clown and off we went for half time. 

Second half opened with more oddness - a nasty challenge on Hourihane - definite yellow - and under this ref an unsurprising red - I didn't see it very clearly, but I think it could have been either - a tequila sunrise of a challenge. It upset their manager who joined his player in the naughty corner - eventually, once everyone on the bench had helped to steer him in the right direction.

Against ten men - passing teams take charge and dominate - so it was never going to make it much easier for us - and the game remained pretty even. What's strange is that for the second home game running, I felt fairly comfortable about our defence (even though it was a different defence) - we looked relaxed about things - we weren't so much solid as comfortable.

And so we nurdled along until Adomah managed to do something subtle and slid in Kodjia for what I think might be his 15th Villa goal - fair play to him. He also managed to stay on his feet after light contact from the keeper - good for him, although I think they'd used all of their subs and I'd have loved to see an outfield player in goal for the penalty and remaining fifteen minutes.

They should have had a penalty, Bannan looked neat, Davis came on and looked quite bright for us and we were done. Winning again. I like it.

Only one thing remained - the official coronation of King Al - the players came to the Holte End to generous applause - Alan came last and got the kind of ovation usually reserved for the truly great and good - I'm not sure when it happened, I'm not sure how it happened, I'm not sure why it happened - but it has happened - Alan Hutton; Holte End hero. I hope he loved it.

it was a strange day. Silly. Let's have more of these.

Some ratings:

Johnstone (7) - he's not done anything daft for a couple of weeks and he looks much more confident for it - in fact, the team look a bit more confident for it. It's making me happy too. Solid today.

Bree (7) - solid sensible full back play - he looks like an experienced, capable player- and he's only nineteen. 

Chester (7) - a leader, a tough character and a very decent defender - I never feel like I say enough good things about him - he never does more than his job and absolutely never does less than it.

Baker (6) - looked a bit uncomfortable before he came off - but we could do with him fit. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Taylor (7) - solid sensible full back play - he looks like an experienced, capable player - he's twenty eight.

Jedinak (7) - decent in midfield and decent at centre half too - he makes everyone else happier - like playing with your big brother. One poor pass put us in trouble in the second half, but he was otherwise excellent.

Hourihane (7) - buzzed about and created and poked and harried - needs to find his shooting boots and maybe missed Lansbury a bit, but he looks settled and he's helping.

Gardner (6) - I dunno - he didn't do much of anything that influenced the game, he  didn't create or threaten - but he always seemed to be where you'd expect him to be, he was always chasing the right things and he was always available and supporting - in short, I'm not sure if he was crap or if he did a really good job of something.

Adomah (7) - just keeps going - looked a bit confused at times with his responsibilities when he was the support striker, but that's to be expected - I like his energy and I like that if he loses it this time, he'll come back at you exactly the same next time.

Amavi (6) - he'll never be a left winger, but you can't fault his effort and his workrate - he's doing a job for the team - not something you associate with 22 year old French players - in the long term, this period of his career will serve him well I think.

Kodjia (7) - he can sometimes look disinterested, but he's excellent on his own, he doesn't mind taking on a whole defence and he has the legs and the strength to be a threat - he's scored pretty much every type of goal this season and he's scored lots. Long may it continue.

Subs

Hutton ( 8 ) - he changed the game, not just by playing well, but just by being in it - right now he can do no wrong. The Scottish Cafu indeed. 

Davis (7) - looked quick and bright if not quite a threat.

Elphick (6) - no errors - that's enough.

We didn't play great, we look disjointed still, we can't pass the ball - but we've got something, even it's not immediately apparent what it is. This isn't the eleven that will get us promoted, there are players that will come back into this team. it's not the finished squad, there will be reinforcements in the summer - but there's an attitude building that we haven't had for a while - every player worked today - not necessarily together, but they worked - everyone had dirty shorts - everyone put a tackle in - that's something we can keep, we should keep, that's something to build on.

Loved the Scottish Kafu song for Hutton along with 'Are you Tuesday in disguise'

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

I never went today.....but my brother-in law just called me and give me a run down.

said Bruce knows what he is doing, just needs time to do it.

you have much more confidence in your brother in law than I have in mine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

SW have some of the dreadful fans. When we were walking back to the past the coach park it was all kicking off. I suspect that was a bit of goading from Villa fans but there was bunch of their fans foaming at the mouth, swearing, rattling the fence and trying climb over it. One SW fan threw a traffic cone that hit an old guy on the head and they some started throwing stones and what looked like bits of brick at the Villa fans. Usually the police are all along that fence but nowhere in sight today until the noise was such that they came down and tried to restore order.  

Further along we passed about 10-15 SW fans who had obviously spent the afternoon in the Yewtree. Blokes in their 30s at a guess, all pissed up looking for trouble. Mind you there were a bunch of police following them filming them so I suspect they were 'known'.

I think there will be a lot more Poilce next time they play here .

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well that was just silly. 

We've won, kept a clean sheet, played all the defenders, looked rubbish at times and ordained a Scotsman as a superhero.

:snip:

Thanks for that, OBE. Much appreciated. Great to get a report when unable to watch the match.

• Like 3

Â