Top Gear 2017

Czechlad

I really liked the new episode. I thought the 3 of them worked well. The trip around Kazakhstan was fun and entertaining. I am glad we now get two motoring shows to watch. Hopefully Top Gear keeps this up because it was promising. 

They didn't do Kazakhstan justice to be honest , so much more they could have shown , but then again it isn't a travel show and the launch site is in the arse end of nowhere so it's understandable .

Rory has clearly decided to take the annoying one  role , says it all when your role is to be the poor mans Hammond .

Harris comes across as a bit of a cock and not a nice one at that 

But it wasn't terrible and on the whole I enjoyed it ....not as good as Grand Tour but miles better than the Evans era TG and that's about as good as they could have expected tbh 

I originally posted this in the generic TV thread but as TG has it's own thread now I'll move it here ....

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I originally posted this in the generic TV thread but as TG has it's own thread now I'll move it here ....

"Now"? It's had it's own threads for years. I split this as someone had posted it in the 2016 thread. :) 

I really enjoyed it.  Admittedly the studio segments are still a little bit dull but I think they'll grow into it (and it's a nice new slick studio / hangar design too).  Some people (not just on here) thought that Harris was trying too hard but I thought he was really quite good and made me laugh a few times.  It all seems promising and I would be interested to see how the Beeb money vs Amazon mega money (Grand Tour) for their shows compare against each other. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, trekka said:

I really enjoyed it.  Admittedly the studio segments are still a little bit dull but I think they'll grow into it (and it's a nice new slick studio / hangar design too).  Some people (not just on here) thought that Harris was trying too hard but I thought he was really quite good and made me laugh a few times.  It all seems promising and I would be interested to see how the Beeb money vs Amazon mega money (Grand Tour) for their shows compare against each other. 

Well for starters the Beeb are on minus £500k after the Kaz segment got aborted in the last series due to various issues with Aeroflot( no idea why seeing as you can fly direct to Almaty with BA )

I enjoyed it too, I even put up with LeBlanc this time around (never been a fan). 

It was good to see a decent driver's car for the "Star In" segment, should provide some fun moments.

Thought it was good. Enjoyed it more than the grand tour to be honest, which bordered on unwatchable at times.

I think the three presenters will only get better. I really like Chris Harris - I find his enthusiasm for the cars infectious, but I worry that he could become a caricature of himself very quickly.

• Like 1

I strangely think they didn't have the balance right between interesting places and interesting cars

you can go to an exciting place in shit cars, you can go to a dull place in supercars, what you can't do is go somewhere bland in 3 shit cars and not really do anything 

I've been trying to work out why I enjoyed it so much, and I think it's basically because I was interested in Kazakhstan. I got offered a couple of jobs there a few years ago but went to Hanoi instead, and I've wondered what it's like ever since. I've never been to the region but I find Central Asia pretty interesting. 

I probably won't enjoy the rest of the series anywhere near as much, but I'll watch on catch up and fast forward through all the studio bits. 

I preferred to it to The Grand Tour. Still think they're way behind the times with lots of stuff. Basically needs all the cool future tech stuff of the Fully Charged show to be incorporated in. Bob Lewellyn is a great presenter.

Chris Harris made my blood boil. I'd be resisting the urge to punch him after about 5 minutes.

I watched it for the first time in a very long time. I’d stopped watching the Clarkson era Top Gear as it was just too painfully try hard. I don’t recall watching any of the Chris Evans episodes. I certainly haven’t bothered watching an episode of the new Clarkson car programme.

So yeah, I watched this week’s TG and thought it was perfectly ok. 

But then, I’m currently driving an old automatic Merc that has indeed been to the moon and is now on the way back. When I bought it, it had just under 20K on the clock. It now has 250K on the clock. If you discount regular servicing at a competent garage, and if you discount damage caused by an idiot driver ignoring his reversing beeps and lights, then the total cost of breakdowns and mechanical failure in the 230,000 miles I’ve owned it currently totals: £728.00  I’m constantly told they aren’t made as well as they used to be. So I guess Mercedes’ slack modern standards have cost me that seven hundred quid.

Edited by chrisp65
to too two
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 10:38, tonyh29 said:

Harris comes across as a bit of a cock and not a nice one at that 

What would you consider to be a nice cock?

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

What would you consider to be a nice cock?

mine's quite nice

like a family sized flask with a german helmet* on top and gloss painted man pink

*WW2, not those WW1 one's with a spike on top

Â