NieR: Automata

hogso

C6Qca_lVUAEbmtH.jpg

Action RPG-er from PlatinumGames & Square Enix released 10/03/17 on PS4 and 17/03/17 on Windows. Rather incredibly this is the fifth game in the Drakengard series - one that even the most seasoned JRPG fans would be forgiven for having passed them by. 2010's NieR is a spin off of the parent series, and this the sequel to that - although is only a very loose sequel, so knowledge of the first is not required (indeed, the storyline of this is set after a specific ending you could obtain in NieR)

It's mostly not required, as you can probably guess, as a result of the story being completely bonkers - this is a game from the parent companies of Bayonetta and Final Fantasy, lest we forget. It's so bonkers I find the premise pretty rivetting, so in short; there is a war raging on Earth between the last of humanity and the robot army of an invading unknown alien race. It's too dangerous for Humanity to live on Earth, so they live on the moon, and have their own robot army fighting their battles on the planet's surface. This is where the player comes in - you take control of one of three androids whom the story appears to follow.

It has reviewed very well. Even in the current climate (and 2017 is turning in to something of a classic year already) it's being touted as a potential GOTY. Platinum appear to have nailed the gameplay with this one, and anyone who has played any of their best games will know that when they get it right, they get it really right. And although NieR was derided for being boring in gameplay terms, it's story, characters, and tone were celebrated - and SE have ensured those parts have been retained here.

There's a demo, it's good, play it if you want. At the time of writing I would rather play this over Yakuza 0, Nioh, Horizon, Danganronpa Reload or Mass Effect - and that's just the stuff on my radar, for PS4, for release up to the end of this month. Phew.

Hooray, NieR love!...yet I myself won't even give it the time at the moment :lol: Simply too much to play as it is, and with P5 just around the corner, this isn't even getting a look in, regrettably...

Edited by hogso

Haha. Oh my, this game is absolutely bonkers :D

First hour or so I was wondering what the **** I'd bought and then it all suddenly starts to click beautifully into place. 

I can understand the excellent reviews now. It's very good indeed.

• Like 1

Â