Pre Match Thread

pacbuddies

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I think Bruces tactics and decisions have cost us, his style only takes clubs so far. DrT (me too) aims higher. For these heights, I think Bruce is the wrong man and has failed this season and will fail us next.

I dont see the point of keeping him if we are going for Gold, might as well just go with/find someone for the long run

Just as they gained us 24 points from his first 12 games and 9 from the last 3. 

You can either hang your hat on that, or the disastrous middle period. But in either case you shouldn't ignore the circumstances. 

Personally, they put me on the fence. I can't see why anyone so pro Steve Bruce isn't willing to give him some leeway for a horrid couple of months. We all go through periods in our life where we don't perform to our optimum best, managers included. 

If our performances outside of that haven't at least bought him time with you, then you've already made your mind up eh. IIRC you'd have sacked him after Cardiff?

Tough game away. Hopefully some momentum will mean we come out of the traps for an early lead. 

Good yard stick. A result here and we may actually be on the up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Huddersfield are good, but hopefully we have finally "clicked" and can give them a tough match. 

We have definitely NOT finally clicked. Not yet. But we can go there with the pressure off now that we are practically safe.

Hoping its as good an away day as Rotherham cos that was a great day! Love these Yorkshire aways. 

0-1 (Kodjia)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well he was crap at our place, so bring it on!

I thought he was ok. Looked dangerous a couple of times but the injury put an end to it

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

As a Villa fan did you ever in your life imagine that one day you would be uttering those words?

Why does it matter? 

I notice a lot of people are still hung up on this name business. Perhaps you're unaware that at one time we were in the 3rd division. Shit happens. 

• Like 1

Kinda hope this ends in a draw because I can't really muster any enthusiasm for another round of the Bruce vs Wagner debate and a draw would not give either side any real fuel.

It's moot now, for better or worse we're stuck with Bruce.

And Wagner will never come here now

The result in this game will neither prove Bruce was the right or wrong choice, nor will it give any real indicator of if Wagner would have been a success had we managed to persuade him to come her.

Honestly past the point of caring about this season now. We won't get relegated and we won't go back up.

Awful horrible season, yet again.

UTV...

Its amazing how you dumb down when you have been in the mire for so long - I mean Huddersfield?? We really should win, no question, and for lots of reasons, we should have the confidence and mentality to win, if we don't then we really are nowhere near ready for the PL (which incidentally I doth think we are). 

I think we will nick a win, despite our struggle at converting chances. I think we are gelling and our poor finishing surely cannot continue, also despite being away, and our poor away form, Huddersfield have struggled of late so will be concerned about us, especially with 3 straight wins in the bag.

Hopefully, we kick on from here.

Incidentally, I don't believe SB is the future, but I think we have to persevere as the club and playing staff need stability. I think logic suggests he will get us promoted. I would also like to see McGatestuck, Tshibola and Veretout return next season after lobotomies, Hutton to extend his stay (yes I know) and us to sign Johnstone (as a long term prospect).  

Interesting that it seems some people think we have a divine right to win. We've done nothing consistently this season to suggest we can just turn up at Huddersfield and expect to win. They on the other hand have been consistently good at this level all season.

Not getting beat will be a good result.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

As a Villa fan did you ever in your life imagine that one day you would be uttering those words?

I said that back in 1969 and we beat them 4-1. I'm sure a few Villa fans said the same in the 1920's as well! ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Its amazing how you dumb down when you have been in the mire for so long - I mean Huddersfield?? We really should win, no question, and for lots of reasons, we should have the confidence and mentality to win, if we don't then we really are nowhere near ready for the PL (which incidentally I doth think we are). 

If Huddersfield don't get up this season I would expect them to be in the top 6 again next season. Our aim would be automatic promotion next season but we will not win every game and I would take a draw at Huddersfield next season (along with a win at Villa Park). For me, anything other than a defeat tomorrow will demonstrate our continued progress but a win would be my result of choice. ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Why do we always play aways back to back? Thought this was at home. We'll be losing this for sure. Doesn't matter how much of a shitty little club they are, their team is infinitely better.

? We played two home games back to back last week.