Pre Match Thread

pacbuddies

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:16, OutByEaster? said:

This one will be altogether trickier. I think I could be persuaded to take a draw right now.

This is the worst injury situation I can remember the club having over the last 15-20 years and we're really down to the bare bones.

----------------------Johnstone-------------------

Hutton--------Chester-------Baker--------Taylor

------------------------Jedinak--------------------

-------------Lansbury-------Hourihane----------

Adomah------------------------------------Amavi

-------------------------Kodjia--------------------

Is how I think we'll line up, although I might be tempted into playing Keinan Davis up front with Kodjia on the left.

Subs

Bunn, Bree, Elphick, Richards, Davis and erm...........

It's astonishing to think we've spent a fortune on this squad over the last 18 months and we're unlikely to be able to fill the bench for a league game without starting to issue numbers to players most of us haven't heard of.

Worst was Houllier imo....we lost pretty much a central midfield and most of our strikers for a whole month that season.

I agree our bench is pretty weak but we still have a very competitive first 11 out there for championship football.

As ever with us first goal is all important. If we can get it I fancy we'll get a 1-1 in Huddersfield.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2017 at 10:09, Johnnyp said:

I still maintain we can beat any of these 24 teams in a one off game and Aston Villa should never have a complex about playing Huddersfield Town. Never. Let them worry about us.

Wasn't impressed with Huddersfield against Newcastle. I expected a lot more. Newcastle strangled the life out them in the same way they did against Villa and Huddersfield's much lauded manager also had no answer to it.

I think Bruce will have noted Rafa's tactics against Huddersfield and should have learned from it.

Agree with the post above that there is nothing to fear and expect a much improved Villa from the last game against Huddersfield to take all three points.

Edited by striker

21 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned

kryten+1.jpg

He'll definitely play I reckon.  The manager will know he'll be extra motivated against us :)

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well he was crap at our place, so bring it on!

If he reads these forums still and has a good game, im putting 100% of the blame on you. :P

seriously though, really tough game and certainly one we will learn more about this squad.

• Like 2

Huddersfield last beat us 2-0 in August 1969. That season they went up as Champions and we were relegated to Division 3 but we also beat them 4-1 at Villa Park in October with goals from Godfrey, Tiler, Hole & Martin.

They did their own three on the trot when they were League Champions in seasons 1923 -24, 1924 - 25 & 1925 - 26. We have won 3 of the last 6 games between the two clubs with the other 3 having been drawn. We also won the last game we played at Huddersfield in 1987 (1-0) during a season that we were promoted and they were relegated. They will expect to win this game as they did in 1969. They are 6 points behind Brighton with a game in hand and are 20 points ahead of us. That huge gap could be down to 17 points by Tuesday night.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That was before Andre Green was born.

Jesus ..I had just finished basic training and was waiting at Deepcut for my first posting (the barracks where everyone kept topping themselves) when Green was born , 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

So you already have this as Bruce's fault if we lose this?

There's nothing like a fair trial!

Well his trial began in October, I was 100% behind him whilst he was proving with points.

I said around the QPR/Burton games that its time to start playing football and build towards the playoffs because even at that time we were not showing any signs of being capable of beating a Leeds (note at that time) in a playoff.

He made 3 drastic mistakes which have cost us the playoffs

1) Gaby

2) SJ

3) no back up for Jedi

I wont go into Gestede/McC tactics and reasons for all those shamefull losses

Trial over for me as we nosedived and he f*** up the chance of doing what he was employed for. Getting us up.

The new evidence (3 wins) although welcome has not changed my opinion so please dont condescend.

Maybe I'm in a minority who think he's not the man for us.

But does being in the minority mean I'm automatically wrong?

Does the majority hold more creedence by simply being a majority?

Majorities vote in/out Governments, I think the last time a really good government was majority voted in was in 1936/8 or thereabouts.

Since then we've just had corrupt freeloaders who have made enough wrong decisions to be tried for treason.

We need correct decisions at this club not a reel of excuses why we fail.

Definately not a majority driven political correctness excersise.

We need leadership, Strong, a plan, a direction.

We are AVFC a club with history tradition and style.

We're NOT some **** United/City/Town who play in blue or red

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with not thinking the manager is the right man - it's good to ask questions and constantly evaluate - he might well not be the man to lead the club forward - but I think when you make decisions that firmly place the blame at the feet of the manager for a defeat that hasn't happened yet, then you're probably answering those questions before they've been asked and not seeing things objectively.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

1) Gaby

Just on this one - Gabby started two games and played reasonably in both of them - it's hardly cost us the playoffs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with not thinking the manager is the right man - it's good to ask questions and constantly evaluate - he might well not be the man to lead the club forward  

I believe he is not

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

- but I think when you make decisions that firmly place the blame at the feet of the manager for a defeat that hasn't happened yet, then you're probably answering those questions before they've been asked and not seeing things objectively.

I went back through my posts and couldnt find where I wrote

It's the managers fault when/if we lose to Hudds

But when someone comes to a conclusion that thats what I said, then the Chinese whispers just go on

26 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Well his trial began in October, I was 100% behind him whilst he was proving with points.

I said around the QPR/Burton games that its time to start playing football and build towards the playoffs because even at that time we were not showing any signs of being capable of beating a Leeds (note at that time) in a playoff.

1) Gaby

2) SJ

3) no back up for Jedi

I wont go into Gestede/McC tactics and reasons for all those shamefull losses

Trial over for me as we nosedived and he f*** up the chance of doing what he was employed for. Getting us up.

The new evidence (3 wins) although welcome has not changed my opinion so please dont condescend.

Maybe I'm in a minority who think he's not the man for us.

But does being in the minority mean I'm automatically wrong?

Does the majority hold more creedence by simply being a majority?

Majorities vote in/out Governments, I think the last time a really good government was majority voted in was in 1936/8 or thereabouts.

Since then we've just had corrupt freeloaders who have made enough wrong decisions to be tried for treason.

We need correct decisions at this club not a reel of excuses why we fail.

Definately not a majority driven political correctness excersise.

We need leadership, Strong, a plan, a direction.

We are AVFC a club with history tradition and style.

We're NOT some **** United/City/Town who play in blue or red

Wow! It's a Monday lunchtime, and we've won the last three without conceding. Optimism Hops, optimism.

23 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I went back through my posts and couldnt find where I wrote

It's the managers fault when/if we lose to Hudds

But when someone comes to a conclusion that thats what I said, then the Chinese whispers just go on

As I'm not a fan of Chinese whispers either, I'll clear this one up.

Here's where you wrote it.

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I think Huddersfield Town FC will show AVFC how wrong we are having SB as manager.

This post implies that we will lose to Huddersfield and that it will be Steve Bruce's fault.  So it is not Chinese whispers to say that you "place the blame at the feet of the manager for a defeat that hasn't happened yet".  You mightn't like it being put that way, but it is accurate nonetheless.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

As I'm not a fan of Chinese whispers either, I'll clear this one up.

Here's where you wrote it.

This post implies that we will lose to Huddersfield and that it will be Steve Bruce's fault.  So it is not Chinese whispers to say that you "place the blame at the feet of the manager for a defeat that hasn't happened yet".  You mightn't like it being put that way, but it is accurate nonetheless.

sorry

but no reference to the result there

what I was implying was a playing style

I would like to make my opinion clear.

I think Bruces tactics and decisions have cost us, his style only takes clubs so far. DrT (me too) aims higher. For these heights, I think Bruce is the wrong man and has failed this season and will fail us next.

I dont see the point of keeping him if we are going for Gold, might as well just go with/find someone for the long run

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

what I was implying was a playing style

I would like to make my opinion clear.

That is at least clearer now.  Although I still don't see how too much can be taken at this point in time from a Huddersfield performance, for 2 reasons.  Firstly, they are a settled side who have been playing that way for a season and a half whereas Bruce has had 1 window and half a season.  Secondly, at the moment it is the result that is more important.  If, for example, they play us off the park but we win the game, what will people deduce from that?