Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Chindie

Picked it up again today with the dlc pass and played on it for about 3 hours tonight. It’s  good to jump back in to it again. Superb. My profile says 120 hours. Can see myself doubling it again.

If anyone wants my friend code just DM me.

Edited by Ingram85

Put a few hours into it now. Still not done a massive amount. Hit a few shrines and explored Kakariko village.

It's got a lovely feel to it. The graphics are spot on, the music, the atmosphere, everything is great. Not got into the meat of the game yet obviously but it seems so vast. I feel like I've walked for hours and I've explored a tiny part of the map.

I don't love everything though. The weapon degradation doesn't sit right with me. Seems annoying, but I'm sure as soon as I start picking up better swords then it'll be less and less noticeable. Plus the food seems like it might be a bit complicated. Seems like something I'll only use if absolutely necessary. Like the potions in Witcher 3. Again though that will probably improve the more I play it.

At my mom's for xmas now so I'll sink a good bit of time into this over the next few days.

• Like 1

I used the cooking stuff very rarely outside of quest specific recipes. The weapons thing is annoying initially but after a while it’s not bothersome at all really. Glad you are enjoying it :thumb:

What I’m seeing now that I didn’t before during my first play through is just how horny and sex starved a lot of the women in the towns are. There’s an entry by ‘lonely arrow lady’ in the village book in impa’s hut in kakariko that is just :blink: and Payas diary is just as bad, she wants link so bad :P

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Put a few hours into it now. Still not done a massive amount. Hit a few shrines and explored Kakariko village.

It's got a lovely feel to it. The graphics are spot on, the music, the atmosphere, everything is great. Not got into the meat of the game yet obviously but it seems so vast. I feel like I've walked for hours and I've explored a tiny part of the map.

I don't love everything though. The weapon degradation doesn't sit right with me. Seems annoying, but I'm sure as soon as I start picking up better swords then it'll be less and less noticeable. Plus the food seems like it might be a bit complicated. Seems like something I'll only use if absolutely necessary. Like the potions in Witcher 3. Again though that will probably improve the more I play it.

At my mom's for xmas now so I'll sink a good bit of time into this over the next few days.

And there's the systems that annoy everyone :)

The weapon degradation doesn't stop. What does start to happen is you find stuff that a bit lasts longer. You'll still be constantly switching up weapons but it might be every 10 hits rather than every 3. Eventually it clicks with you though. You approach weapons in this game completely differently to let games when you get your eye in.

The food you can't really ignore imo. You start to remember the recipes that give you most benefit though for the situations you need. I started to hoard ingredients I knew were useful and then do bulk cooking sessions to fill my inventory with the food I needed. You eventually will find yourself cooking stuff that 'overcharges' your health giving you bonus hearts and ones that give temporary stamina boosts, both of which can be very helpful.

As I said, it's a brilliant game that throws up annoying things at you to put you off, and it's up to you to go with it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is there any benefit to holding on to Ore? or is it purely just to be sold for rupees?

They have use beyond selling. But you can farm them so you can sell them if you want.

Probably a good idea to hold onto diamonds. Try to remember where good spots for deposits are.

There's a few things that hold me back from tubing it's the best ever. But **** me is it some game.

Nintendo take ideas from all over the place and mash then into Zelda, and it's brilliant. Open world, survival, some Skyrim, a touch of Souls, arguably a hint of Minecraft... It's excellent. 

I still feel like it's a game that will inspire the industry. Not like Nintendo have done before, but developers will look at Zelda and nick the way it approaches an open world. The freedom it offers hasn't been seen in games like this often. 

48 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I still feel like it's a game that will inspire the industry. Not like Nintendo have done before, but developers will look at Zelda and nick the way it approaches an open world. The freedom it offers hasn't been seen in games like this often. 

I don't think many games will have to change much to be more like Breath of the Wild. 

The thing I took away from Breath of the Wild is it didn't really litter the map with icons. The magic of discovery was in that game and other games have that to, but some to a lesser extent though they are all built to be played perfectly without map markers.

So I don't think it will take any effort at all if a developer likes what Breath of the Wild did, I mean hell play The Witcher 3 with the onscreen map, compass and all map markers turned off, the game gets even better.

The rest of Breath of the Wild isn't anything new it's all stuff other games have done, but some games choose not to do it because it's obnoxious like the overbearing weapon durability.

So I agree some devs may opt to tone down map markers and stuff to enhance the feeling of discovery, but many games already give players the option to play without them anyway. 

• Like 1

What’s the definition of open world?

BotW seems different to previous games in terms of the cooking and weapon system etc. But the set up of the world seems pretty similar. 

Wouldnt Ocarina of Time be classed as open world?

genuine question. That part of the game doesn’t seem much different to me. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What’s the definition of open world?

BotW seems different to previous games in terms of the cooking and weapon system etc. But the set up of the world seems pretty similar. 

Wouldnt Ocarina of Time be classed as open world?

genuine question. That part of the game doesn’t seem much different to me. 

An open world in the modern sense is a map that is expansive and vast.

The easiest example is Call of Duty which is a linear experience, you can only go one path and that's it. Meanwhile Far Cry 5 is still a shooter, but you can go anywhere, at anytime and do anything you want within the confines of the games mechanics. 

Ocarina of Time is in between. The game itself is linear, but unlike Call of Duty you are not confined to quest order. So I wouldn't consider Ocarina of Time an open world because its areas are very confined, but it's less linear than a lot modern corridor shooters are.

Breath of the Wild is their first true "open world" in that they give the player a 23 square mile map and let them go free to do whatever they want. 

For comparison sake;

Spoiler

jtaxfcajj4krz.jpg

That's the map of Ocarina of Time. There is at least one vast area in that game if a field filled with nothing counts as an area, but as you can see its centralised "hub" with branches and those branches are the linear aspect. They take you to your "trials" to get new items to make the rest of the game easier, or to get to areas you couldn't get to before. Ocarina of Time was typically a linear experience, but where it differed was in allowing the player to do any dungeon in any order which gave the feeling of the game being "huge".

Spoiler

MJTskdL.jpg

Breath of the Wild's map is organic. They aren't using any tricks to make the game seem more open like Ocarina of Time was. If you see that mountain in the distance in Breath of the Wild you can go there and explore it, you don't need to find the branching path to load you into "Mountain Zone", you just get on your horse and ride there and on the way you'll find caves, ruins, loot, dungeons and who knows what else. That's the main difference between open world games of today and games that "faked" it to some success like Ocarina of Time. 

• Like 2

There isn’t really anything you should be doing tbh, just do a few side quests, have an explore, do a few shrines, open a tower, find some korok seeds and level up a bit. Once you get a decent number of hearts and stamina try taking on a divine beast. I like the ‘piddle about’ nature of games like this.

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

There isn’t really anything you should be doing tbh, just do a few side quests, have an explore, do a few shrines, open a tower, find some korok seeds and level up a bit. Once you get a decent number of hearts and stamina try taking on a divine beast. I like the ‘piddle about’ nature of games like this.

That’s pretty much what I’m doing. It’s loads of fun. 

I got this for Crimbo too.  Enjoying it so far, but the weapons wearing out is really spoiling my enjoyment of what looks a brilliant game so far.  The graphics are brilliant.  So far I've found the four initial shrines and now I'm setting off for Kakariko village.  I can't stress how shit the weapons thing is though, they always have to put something in a Zelda game to make it less than perfect *Cough - Water temple*.

9 minutes ago, Risso said:

I got this for Crimbo too.  Enjoying it so far, but the weapons wearing out is really spoiling my enjoyment of what looks a brilliant game so far.  The graphics are brilliant.  So far I've found the four initial shrines and now I'm setting off for Kakariko village.  I can't stress how shit the weapons thing is though, they always have to put something in a Zelda game to make it less than perfect *Cough - Water temple*.

Yep. The weapon thing is really annoying. I'm hoping as we progress further you'll end up with weapons that take ages and ages to wear out. So it's almost not noticeable.

But that is definitely the thing I dislike most so far. I've started just using my bombs for almost every encounter.

I've wandered off to the Zoras but most of the baddies I'm encountering seem to be kicking my arse so I think I'll abandon it and go back to the story for a bit until I'm a bit better equipped.

I won’t spoil it too much but it doesn’t really change to be honest but literally everyone who starts it initially has the same exact criticism (myself included) and then the further you play you just adapt to it and it just becomes part of the game and really not that bothersome.

Spoiler

Speak to Hestu and you can expand your weapons slots by handing over your korok plops then you can get a good collection of weapons stashed in your inventory. Weapons are literally all over the shop and you never really need to worry too much.

Once you get the master sword you don’t need to worry ever again.

Without getting into spoiler territory, you start to get weapons that take longer to break but it never really completely goes away. And by longer I mean double figures really.

What happens to most people is you start to collect loads of weapons you like and just rotate through them as they break. The game pretty much coaches you into accepting the mechanic of weapons breaking by saying to you 'it largely doesn't matter what weapon you have, it's just a case of adapting to each one as you need to use it'. Increase your carry capacity and pick up everything (unless it's really shit, and you aren't desperate).

But it's definitely one of the things that puts people off. You get used to it though. It's at it's worst right at the start with everything breaking after 3 hits.

Â