Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Chindie

It's great, but how the hell do people play games with the Wii U controller? I don't have the biggest hands, admittedly, but it feels so clumsy. Wish I could use my GameCube pad instead.

The only thing I particularly dislike about the Wii U gamepad is the stick layout. And that it looks like a Fisher Price toy. But I find it easy enough to use.

Something I would criticise Zelda for is the control scheme. It's slightly awkward and took forever to get used to, and even then I still make mistakes. I've lost count of the times I've hit R to bring up the telescope thing rather than R3, or fumbled switching bows etc. I can see the idea behind it, but it's awkward.

There's also an early shrine that forces motion control on you and whilst it looks simple, it's infuriating. Possibly because of my Gamepad or calibration or something, but made it far harder than it needed to be, and didn't need to be motion based either.

Edited by Chindie

Agreed, the controls are quite fiddly. That and when a weapon breaks you have to equip a new one rather than Link automatically doing so with the next in the list. I have a habit of drawing my sword when I just want to sprint or drawing my bow when I want to draw my sword. I also completely forgot how to switch between the special abilities (magnetism, stasis etc.) when I came to play it for the second time.

Got off the plateau last night and I think I might have missed a bit by exploring some nooks and crannies. The run to Kakariko is a bloody long one.

It's still amazing though :wub:

On 06/03/2017 at 13:16, jim said:

Really enjoying so far, I have only done the first objective though.

I wouldnt go as far to say it's the greatest game ever but it is very, very good.

The only annoying thing is the framerate drops and the poor draw distance/pop ins.

I am going to revise my previous comment, and say this is one of the best games I have ever played and I haven't even scratched the surface.

Any tips for hunting?

trying to 

Spoiler

Get the boar so I can make the recipe for the old man. I have seen one in 90mins of sneaking about, shot it and it charged at me and injured me.

The missus has been sneaking around for 20mins now and no luck.

Incredible. Just incredible. There's things wrong with this game, but it doesn't matter. It's just so good.

I just found an important item. But... 'how' you find it. I guess, is like nothing else. I could describe it now, and it won't sound like much. What I actually got made a brief flash of joy go through me. Not because off the item itself, but the presentation of that moment. It was like a piece of concept art come to life. Brilliant.

If this isn't GoTY, we've had an astounding year. And it's already pretty damn good year.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2017 at 01:20, Chindie said:

Incredible. Just incredible. There's things wrong with this game, but it doesn't matter. It's just so good.

I just found an important item. But... 'how' you find it. I guess, is like nothing else. I could describe it now, and it won't sound like much. What I actually got made a brief flash of joy go through me. Not because off the item itself, but the presentation of that moment. It was like a piece of concept art come to life. Brilliant.

If this isn't GoTY, we've had an astounding year. And it's already pretty damn good year.

Spot on.

A few things wrong for sure - but the game is so much fun with so much to do and offers so much, you forget the faults.

I had an issue where Hogs went missing, none at all - and I had to restart the game and finish a few other quests before I found them again - and then the blighters would run off and disappear into thin air! But the game is so much fun, it didn't bother me too much.

When you parry a Guardian, it's like you suddenly have testicles made of brass bowling balls.

One hit kill laser? Pfft. 

50d2599404838498d3b293ffdb638d93.jpg

Then the 3 other times you **** up and get your arse handed to you, you learn some humility and run away...

• 2 weeks later...

This game man. This bloody game.

I think FF9 might be getting replaced as my no.1 game of all time. Its sublime. So memorable. The little details. It stays with you. I genuinely believe its a masterpiece and despite the launch hype being a bit ott, now I've gotten deep into it I have to agree, it is IMO the greatest game made. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

This game man. This bloody game.

I think FF9 might be getting replaced as my no.1 game of all time. Its sublime. So memorable. The little details. It stays with you. I genuinely believe its a masterpiece and despite the launch hype being a bit ott, now I've gotten deep into it I have to agree, it is IMO the greatest game made. 

Same here with FF7

Wii U version is fine. It gets a slightly framey in busier moments, usually towns particularly if there's rain or lots of characters around, but actual impact of that is negligible. The Switch version does it as well I'm lead to believe. 

Otherwise, how much do you want to pay to play it, and how much is playing it on the go with to you?

I'm at the point now where i could finish it. But I don't want to. It's too good to finish. So I'm going to go round and clear the shrines and everything bar the Korok Seeds, and fully upgrade the armours I think before touching the end game. Literally the only thing i miss is a few true dungeons, the Divine Beasts aren't quite enough to fill the gap even with the shrines.

But it's still incredible.

• Like 1

Agreed, even the Divine Beasts are pretty short dungeons in themselves. If they were as long and detailed as the usual fare in Zelda games it'd be better. Also, they're all very similar in terms of aesthetics which is a little disappointing.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Wii U version is fine. It gets a slightly framey in busier moments, usually towns particularly if there's rain or lots of characters around, but actual impact of that is negligible. The Switch version does it as well I'm lead to believe. 

Otherwise, how much do you want to pay to play it, and how much is playing it on the go with to you?

I'm at the point now where i could finish it. But I don't want to. It's too good to finish. So I'm going to go round and clear the shrines and everything bar the Korok Seeds, and fully upgrade the armours I think before touching the end game. Literally the only thing i miss is a few true dungeons, the Divine Beasts aren't quite enough to fill the gap even with the shrines.

But it's still incredible.

The "on the go" bit doesn't interest me at all to be honest. I read that this was originally made for the Wii U so hoped that the graphical difference would be minimal between the 2 versions. Thanks for the info.

All shrines done, all memories done, some special kit discovered... A few side missions to clear and still some work to upgrade all the armours but tempted to take on Ganon and clear the rest afterwards.

I'm really put off doing the memories, seems a bit dull. They must be in some pretty well-hidden places though as I think I've explored a fair bit and only found maybe two or three.

Â