Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Chindie

I just watched the IGN review and I have to say, it looks incredible and right up my 'open world' street.

Not incredible enough for me to consider buying a Switch or Wii U though :)

@PieFacE

Supposedly runs pretty well on the Wii U, some frame rate drops in scenarios with lots going on (fighting a bunch of enemies in a forest in the rain for example) but otherwise fine seems to be the common experience.

• Like 1

Yeah, I read it runs ever so slightly better at an ever so slightly higher resolution on the Switch. Which is hardly surprising seeing as BotW was developed for Wii U, not Switch.

Despite never having played a Zelda game, I am really looking forward to this tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, darrenm said:

:o

I was always a Sega and Sony man. First Nintendo console was the Wii and only played MK and Wii sports on that.

Really looking forward to the switch having missed out on all those classic games.

So yeah, this is pretty good. It's Zelda, and it isn't Zelda. It's what Zelda should be in a world that moved on from Ocarina of Time. Truly open world, pinching ideas from various other series, but... Nintendo-ing them.

I have got the feeling I had playing Ocarina as a kid.

• Like 2

I'll also say that even with an hour or so played there's things here people, and I count myself in that, might hate. The weapon durability, the importance of the stamina bar, the scarcity of health (no more chopping some grass to get hearts if you're in trouble) and the unforgiving (certainly for Nintendo) nature of it will turn people off I think.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'll also say that even with an hour or so played there's things here people, and I count myself in that, might hate. The weapon durability, the importance of the stamina bar, the scarcity of health (no more chopping some grass to get hearts if you're in trouble) and the unforgiving (certainly for Nintendo) nature of it will turn people off I think.

I look forward to your full report once you've got your teeth into it :)

I just stumbled on a couple of enemies around a fire by some crates. As I was fighting my axe broke, and with the enemies dead I discovered my sword couldn't break open the boxes. Next best thing? Let's see if boxes burn...

Wait. The boxes don't line up with the fire. I can't just push them into the fire in a straight line like every Zelda ever. In real life if I needed to turn the box I'd push it off centre so it span a little... It works! Awesome. And the boxes burn! Yes!.. Hang on, does everything burn? Shit... No wait, it cooked the apples inside! Great, extra health recovery too!

9 hours ago, darrenm said:

If this is that good on the Wii U I'll be getting it

It runs well, I've not had any noticeable frame rate drops, though I've not come across many intensive scenarios yet admittedly. Looks gorgeous. Only thing I've noticed is some middle distance draw and pop in. I can't see the Switch being that much better and frankly for me the resolution bump doesn't matter.

• Like 3

Probably pick this up in a few months time for the Wii U. Not sure I can justify getting this right now, whilst putting hours into Overwatch, Horizon Zero Dawn and ME Andromeda over the next few months. This is a good time to be a gamer!

On 3/2/2017 at 12:56, Chindie said:

So this is being considered Greatest of All Time stuff...

Whoever's saying that must be beyond retarded. We seem to be living in an age where people are extremely quick to call things 'the great of all time'. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â