Pre Match Thread

villa89

Three wins in a row? Hard to see any other outcome given the quality of the opposition and the tender shoots of some signs of recovery. A chance to get a few goals too which would really boost confidence. Hopefully we play well, keep the ball on the deck, and score three or four. 

They ship goals at an alarming rate.  77 in 34 games.  The next worst are Forest on 58.  So you'd like to think our front 6 which is starting to look more and more threatening can continue where they left off against Bristol City.  Rotherham have scored in 3 of their last 4 games and gave Brentford a right scare the other day.  Brentford needed a 90th minute goal to avoid the draw.  Although generous Rotherham gave them two 90th minute goals just for good measure.

I'm nowhere near being cocky enough to expect to give anyone a hiding so I'll just say - get it done.  Preferably with minimum fuss or scare.  But even that might be too much to ask for.  As Villa fans we've seen these 'bankers' go awry so often in the past.  Shirley not this time?

We last lost in the league at Rotherham in 1959 (2-1). The two teams contested the first League Cup Final with us lifting the trophy in 1961 having won 3-0 at Villa Park following a 2-0 defeat at Millmoor. This will be the first time we have played at The New York Stadium since their move from Millmoor in 2008.

We last played at Rotherham in 1972 when we were both in the old Division 3 and we won 2-0 back then. The Millers look doomed to relegation in the same way as we did last season and we all know how bad that feels.

A win would give us three league wins on the trot for the first time since 2008 and would all but ensure that we are not relegated alongside them. I would like a clean sheet and another win. I doubt there will be more than an odd goal in it. This will be a game they will really be up for but we should take some confidence from our last two games. We have lost games like this already this season but I really hope we can edge this one by say the odd goal in three.        

I want us to win so badly, I wouldn't care if we won badly.

Just do it, you wonderful lions.

Edited by AJ

No excuse for not winning this.

45 points, safe from the always unlikely scenario of relegation, and the pressure off to carry on the improvement for the rest of the season.

Victory here gives Bruce his job until the Summer. Then we'll be able to make a real assessment of if he's done enough to have us challenging next year.

I'm optimistic.

• Like 2

Aside from Green who is almost certainly out I’d go with the side that played most of the game against Bristol so Hourihane in for Gardner. I would put Grealish on the left as we need to maintain a more attack minded balance and you start putting Bjanrnason or Amavi out there and it goes more defence minded. It is unfortunate we have so many forwards out with Hogan, Gabby, RHM and Green meaning limited options.

We have to win this and three wins on the spin will set us up nicely for a couple of tough games against Huddersfield and Sheff Wednesday.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Aside from Green who is almost certainly out I’d go with the side that played most of the game against Bristol so Hourihane in for Gardner. I would put Grealish on the left as we need to maintain a more attack minded balance and you start putting Bjanrnason or Amavi out there and it goes more defence minded. It is unfortunate we have so many forwards out with Hogan, Gabby, RHM and Green meaning limited options.

We have to win this and three wins on the spin will set us up nicely for a couple of tough games against Huddersfield and Sheff Wednesday.

Agree with your lineup completely

Bunn

Hutton      Chester     Baker        Taylor

Lansbury Jedinak Hourihane

Bree                  Kodjia              Grealish

An ocean of red, and 23rd/24th in most areas.  I'm actually more amazed that they only have a -5 goal difference at home.

0c0b1e0d8fd1950d659fcb4fc1c528f5.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BOF said:

They ship goals at an alarming rate.  77 in 34 games.  The next worst are Forest on 58.  So you'd like to think our front 6 which is starting to look more and more threatening can continue where they left off against Bristol City.  Rotherham have scored in 3 of their last 4 games and gave Brentford a right scare the other day.  Brentford needed a 90th minute goal to avoid the draw.  Although generous Rotherham gave them two 90th minute goals just for good measure.

I'm nowhere near being cocky enough to expect to give anyone a hiding so I'll just say - get it done.  Preferably with minimum fuss or scare.  But even that might be too much to ask for.  As Villa fans we've seen these 'bankers' go awry so often in the past.  Shirley not this time?

Aye we'll do it. And don't call me Surely.