limpid

Match Polls  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I don't think we can arrange for Amazon's AWS (Eastern US) to be offline just for the match.

Well not with that attitude we can't! Sort it out :P:lol:

Early days, but those screaming for the managers head were wrong - being patient is beginning to show its rewards. By no means has he put everything right and he has (by his own admission) made plenty of mistakes, but there are signs of continued improvement and that is all you can ask. Well done Steve Bruce and Aston Villa football club.

• Like 3

In the squealing words of Keith Lemon, whilst swinging from a suspended mobile phone advertising board... 'Ha-haaaaaa... that's more like it!'

I didn't the think the first half was that bad - I guess I'm just used to seeing us play like that. Both teams were kind of figuring each other out - and we had an early warning across our bow. Shame we missed the penalty - their goalie got booked for that foul on Gardner, no? More about that shortly.

I was surprised to hear boos at half time. We weren't losing, we weren't abject... It was just... NIL.

Second half proved that there was a team in there... there was a performance. Even with one fit striker, and some midfield faces of possible potential, we were able to create chances. Two goals at the Holte! Correction... two VILLA goals at the Holte!!! The first, an epic looping header over the keeper from Kodjia. For a player who normally shies from headers (watch Burton at home as an example), that was as majestic a header as you'll see. If headers could be 'chipped over a keeper,' that was one. Well done Kodge... you could see how much it meant to him. I'll be honest, it's been a long time since a Villa goal has made me race down forty rows of seats to the front with my arms in the air. I did it last night :)

Second goal came from presence of numbers and some nice intent from the Villa. Neat finish after an almost air shot from Albert. Hourihane, finally getting a chance to shine. We need a better chant than that though folks. Now you've all had chance to sleep on it, I'm sure you'll agree ;)

The usual last ten minute 'defensive panic' notwithstanding, we managed a second consecutive win, and a second consecutive clean sheet. I don't think Johnstone is a 'keeper' for us. He doesn't seem to command his box or communicate effectively with the defence. His distribution is consistently suspect though.

I'd give Villa 7.9 out of 10 for all that last night. They made it count in the second half. Honourable mention for Hutton, Green (another great scoring chance, looped over the keeper and hit the bar - his time will come soon), and Hourihane.

Now... Andre Green got a booking for some altercation with their keeper 'Giefer.' Referee (Voldemort) had a very questionable game. I've not seen a replay of that incident, but Giefer physically assaulted Green in the box... Giefer, already on a yellow remember. Despite having his arm all round Green's neck (an actual Half Nelson), it was Green who was deemed to have fouled, despite Green being the one ending up on the floor. It was Green, by crikey's incredulity, that got booked. I mean, wtf?

Wet pitch, wet ball, some tough challenges went unpunished. I thought the ref was a male chicken frankly and started to lose control of the game late on. He should stick to terrorising schools of witchcraft and wizardry. Word removing word removed.

But hey, three points... GTF In :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Surely the keeper should've had a red card for that pen? Last man?

If not, he should have received a second yellow for the physical assault on Green at the Holte End. He had Green in a half nelson, an actual half nelson, and yet it was Green who got booked! Referee was an intercourse-pig.

Edited by Raver50032
no such thing as a word removed-pig...

Tbf to Bruce first thing he said was the first half was poor and the players got sucked into playing long ball, so I'm guessing it wasn't part of his game plan just the players not getting into the game quick enough.

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

Wasn't at the game but from what I've heard the fans need to stop jumping on the players backs at 0-0 

Helps No One! 

Don't want to sound harsh here but you can hardly criticize the fans who have made the effort to go to the game if you didn't go yourself...

I was there and the booing came from a minority, the first half performance pretty much justified it though as it was poor. It was good to see them come out and change it up second half.

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

e missed the penalty - their goalie got booked for that foul on Gardner, no?

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Surely the keeper should've had a red card for that pen? Last man?

I believe its to do with the double jeopardy rule where you don't get the double punishment of conceding a penalty and receiving a red card.

At least thats what people on twitter were banging on about last night...

• Like 1

What was our performance like?

On the radio from commentary it sounded like an even first half (our commentary suggested we shaded it, but could be down to bias) but that you were the better side in the second half.

My reaction- Gutted at yet another loss.

Edited by JamesBCFC

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

I believe its to do with the double jeopardy rule where you don't get the double punishment of conceding a penalty and receiving a red card.

At least thats what people on twitter were banging on about last night...

What an odd rule it is.

Had the keeper fouled Gardner a foot further out we'd have had a free kick and they'd have been down to 10 men !!

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

What an odd rule it is.

Had the keeper fouled Gardner a foot further out we'd have had a free kick and they'd have been down to 10 men !!

I don't think it was that "rule" at all. Had gardner managed to knock it round the keeper the other way and actually looked like he might get on the end of it to score, the keeper would have been off .

As it was, Gardner knocked it wide, away from goal, and even if he'd not been tackled, he wouldn't have been in a goalscoring position.

There is no rule about being "the last man" for red cards. The rule is "denying a goalscoring opportunity", which the goalkeeper didn't.

47 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

On the radio from commentary it sounded like an even first half (our commentary suggested we shaded it, but could be down to bias) but that you were the better side in the second half.

First half was fairly even, but to be completely honest it was two teams being as dreadful as each other.

You hit the bar early on and had a few dangerous crosses, although they were never really in any danger of being finished.

Second half we were comfortably the better side tbh.

Fair play to your following. Noisy and there were loads of them! For a Tuesday evening it was impressive.

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

one thing I will say about your side is that they are physically imposing. First half you bullied us a bit. I don't know if you play as hard as that every week but you were well prepared for kodjias physical game...which was understandable. I can't say either team edged it that first half but I'd say your game plan to keep it tight worked well. The second started the same way untill green decided not to pass it along the back anymore and run at your defence...that changed the game. Your heads dropped for a half hour ...we know what that's like due to constant negative results. The last 15 you got back in it, pushing forward...but in truth never really looked like scoring.

tbh I think your tactics would have worked had you met us 2 games ago...the crowd would have turned quicker and you could have stole a goal like Barnsley and a few others.

we are a different animal with a bit of confidence.

First 10 minutes you were by far the better side, but we gradually grew in to the game and second half was all one way. 

Echo above the credit to your support. It's a couple of hours journey and I was somewhat surprised to see the away end packed out. Pretty good noise too, put Derby to shame. 

Those declaring this a turn around for Bruce is slightly premature for me.

So far we have beaten two average teams both in horrible form, so far he's just keeping the wolves off his back . The football is still poor but we'll see where we are at the end of the season. Hopefully more wins, more confidence and a more settled team will give us a better picture once the season has ended.

If we can beat Rotherham and make it 3 in a row I will give him the credit he deserves, its not easy to win 3 in a row against any teams but its something we'll have to do on a regular basis next season if we want to even reach the playoffs - this is the benchmark he needs to be judged against

Edited by AVFCDAN

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Those declaring this a turn around for Bruce is slightly premature for me.

So far we have beaten two average teams both in horrible form, so far he's just keeping the wolves off his back . The football is still poor but we'll see where we are at the end of the season. Hopefully more wins, more confidence and a more settled team will give us a better picture once the season has ended.

If we can beat Rotherham and make it 3 in a row I will give him the credit he deserves, its not easy to win 3 in a row against any teams but its something we'll have to do on a regular basis next season if we want to even reach the playoffs - this is the benchmark he needs to be judged against

Huh?

You think the turn around is 'premature', beating 2 of the normal teams this division seems to produce week in week out....yet if we beat the worst team in the league (in the worst form of the lot), only then will you give him credit? 

Strange!

Edited by Nigel

Â