Transgenderism

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think gender dysphoria is considered a mental disorder. The best treatment by far and away is transitioning.

Beat me to it. Used to be called 'Gender Identity Disorder' before changed to Gender Dysphoria. In terms of what should be done to treat I tend to agree with 'transitioning' although I have massive issues with this being 'allowed' for young children who may well just be going through a phase where they find 'acting' as the other sex fun. Pumping young kids full of hormones (or inhibitors) is the last thing that should be done. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I think gender dysphoria is considered a mental disorder. The best treatment by far and away is transitioning.

It is - in the USA at least. I'm curious about how @Dr_Pangloss formed his opinion. It's his use of the word "think" I'm curious about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I like how disgust is aimed for by specifying that the man is hairy, as if being hairy were in itself a form of sex crime. 

Within the logic of gender politics it is.

Body hair is a male secondary sexual characteristic, masculinity is toxic, all men are rapists, ergo even a man in a dress is a sexual predator and your child is at risk.

The issue of transgender is really a serious subject, and not least because it affects children, in that parents may respond to a child's claim to be other than they are inappropriately, and with suicide-rates amongst those who go through gender reassignment at around 40% it is not something to wish upon a child or a confused young adult.

Unfortunately in this age when feelings are considered to supersede science, combined with a medical-care industry driven substantially by profit, there are plenty of reasons to suspect the motives of those who promote it. 

But expressing such opinions will get a person banned from appearing on university campuses, like Germaine Greer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Within the logic of gender politics it is.

Body hair is a male secondary sexual characteristic, masculinity is toxic, all men are rapists, ergo even a man in a dress is a sexual predator and your child is at risk

I'm not trying to be dense, but you've completely lost me. I was commenting on the way it was used to provoke disgust in the reader. Are you trying to say that's a kind of moral disgust, because people are conditioned to think hair = men = rapists = sexual predators? I don't think that's it at all. It's a purely aesthetic disgust. Hair isn't 'the body beautiful'. 

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

The issue is a difficult one. I suspect the easiest answer is once you've transitioned fully you're legally a woman, and if you don't want to make that complete step you don't get the full 'privileges'.

What are full privileges and what would the guidelines of this be? Let's take a MTF, as an example, who identifies as a woman, but doesnt wish to go the whole way i.e. full on gender reassignment, but does have breast implants, long hair and are taking hormones. Would they get the "full privileges" or would they be made to change amongst men because they still have a cock and balls despite genuinely identifying as female?

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Thinking out loud; if gender is abstract and fluid then isn't gender just... personality?

I feel like society would be much better at coping with the idea of gender if we remove the idea of 'identifying' altogether. If the word and concept of gender ceased to exist, children would be born male, female, intersex based on their genetics - your sex is your sex and that doesn't change - and it is also entirely insignificant unless two people want to reproduce successfully. Anything they choose to do in their lives is up to them. 

It just seems to me that 'gender is fluid' and so on is a counterproductive approach as it still acknowledges the existence of personality traits and roles tied to being male or female. If everyone can be whoever they want to be, the concept of gender is entirely redundant and creates arguments and entire areas of study based on the semantics of one word.

Feel free to challenge any points as this is more a stream of consciousness than a put together argument and i'm more than happy to develop these ideas

24 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

What are full privileges and what would the guidelines of this be? Let's take a MTF, as an example, who identifies as a woman, but doesnt wish to go the whole way i.e. full on gender reassignment, but does have breast implants, long hair and are taking hormones. Would they get the "full privileges" or would they be made to change amongst men because they still have a cock and balls despite genuinely identifying as female?

Hence my saying the issue is a difficult one.

For absolute certainty I don't have any prejudices against transgender people and would like the law to enable and assist them as much as anyone else.

'Full privileges' is a very poor choice of words for being considered wholly and legally a woman. I suspect there would be a clamour for the law to draw the line at gender reassignment as a quick fix for the issue, and thus in your example they wouldn't be considered a woman, but as said it is a very difficult issue that doesn't fit law very well, because of the immense shades of grey in an issue the law is set up to deal in black and white when it comes to gender.

Â