Pre-match thread

JamesBCFC

Whilst Hutton played okay he didn't half go missing a lot. The amount of times he gets caught out of position is staggering.  If Derby had a better left winger they would have destroyed us with the way Hutton was playing in the first half. 

• Like 3

I'd go

Bunn

Bree Chester Baker Taylor

Jedi

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane

Grealish

Kodjia

Back 4-1 sit doing their jobs. Bree & Taylor need to support the wings not take over

Front 3-1-1 Having a go taking it to their bank of 4-5

Can only see a goal from Kodjia's magic or a Baker/Chester/Jedi headed set piece

Bruce will go

SJ (madness)

AH (UtterMadness) Chester Baker Taylor

Jedi

Gardner Lansbury Hourihane Thor

Kodjia

We'll sit too deep, be too narrow and hoof it

• Like 1

We have the best defensive record in the bottom half of the league which is a plus point. The negative is that only Wigan have scored less than us this season. So it is not going to be a high scoring game. I would be very pleased with another 1 nil and we actually try to play some football during the 90 minutes. 

Hate the phrase but it's a must win game for Bruce. Not only that but he needs something resembling a performance and some even remote suggestion that the players are starting to have some understanding, perhaps even something remotely resembling a system.

• Like 3

Hourihane for Bacuna and keep the rest the same. If Jedi is not yet up to 2 games in three days then bring Gardner in unless we want to go really positive then Grealish. Going 4-3-3 might not be the way Bruce ultimately wants to go but with only one fit centre forward it is the way he has to go for now and he needs to stick with it and keep as much of a settled side as possible.

I’d like to get to the last half hour of a game relaxed for the first time since Rotherham at home so am looking for us to be a couple of goals to the good by then. I’ll go with 2-0 or 3-1 to us.

• Like 1

As above Hourihane for Bacuna and that would be the only forced change I'd make unless you experiment with Amavi left midfield.

If Bruce wants any validity to his excuse of too much change at the club then he must stop tinkering and stick as much as possible to his best team.

Been impressed with Taylor so far. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, striker said:

Been impressed with Taylor so far. 

Positionally Taylor and Hutton were awful in the last game, although Adomah was all over the place and offered Hutton absolutely no cover.

However Amavi has been so poor lately that Taylor looks a slight step up defensively.

It almost seems that Bruce is asking the team to play narrow and so the full backs are pulling in instead of getting tight to the wingers. Cross field balls are just going straight to the wingers and we are then giving ourselves more work to do defending crosses.

As I have said before though I would keep the back 4 the same as we have a clean sheet to build on.

• Like 1

We simply have to start scoring more goals. We cant keep getting results by scoring 1 goal a game.

The best way to do this is a simple tactical change in that Id like to see more players in the box during attacks.  

This is up to the wingers and Lansbury for me. 

This is the main problem that needs dealing with and tonight is a perfect opportunity to implement!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Positionally Taylor and Hutton were awful in the last game, although Adomah was all over the place and offered Hutton absolutely no cover.

If it wasn't for Chester we would have lost on Saturday. He covers up a lot of mistakes at the back. As for tonight we need to boss the game- we can't expect to have less than 30% of the ball and win regularly. 

• Like 1