U23 Development League 2016/2017

BOF

I was kind of hoping this would be a dead rubber for Swansea as they're strolling through this campaign. It seems they're just a couple of classes above anything else in this league. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I was kind of hoping this would be a dead rubber for Swansea as they're strolling through this campaign. It seems they're just a couple of classes above anything else in this league. 

I find it strange that virtually none of their first team has come through their academy. We are leading the way in that respect which I think is the main aim of the academy

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I find it strange that virtually none of their first team has come through their academy. We are leading the way in that respect which I think is the main aim of the academy

If they get relegated then they might have some useful options in that u23 squad. 

Just now, BOF said:

If they get relegated then they might have some useful options in that u23 squad. 

True but I don't think they will get relegated, they have too much quality in their squad and an excellent young manager. Do you think they will get relegated?

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

True but I don't think they will get relegated, they have too much quality in their squad and an excellent young manager. Do you think they will get relegated?

I think it's probably between them and Hull to come 18th, and I think Hull have shown more ability and fight of late. So I think yes, I'd back Swansea for the drop. I do like Clement but that's not enough. 

• Like 1

I tried to find this game today - I was sure we were playing tonight - it's not on the OS list of fixtures, the live coverage they suggested earlier in the week didn't happen and their facebook page didn't mention it. I'm someone who is actively interested in the reserves and I couldn't find the game - it doesn't say much for the way the club covers stuff does it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I tried to find this game today - I was sure we were playing tonight - it's not on the OS list of fixtures, the live coverage they suggested earlier in the week didn't happen and their facebook page didn't mention it. I'm someone who is actively interested in the reserves and I couldn't find the game - it doesn't say much for the way the club covers stuff does it?

No it doesn't, and to be honest their tweets were lacking too. They didn't even bother tweeting about one of their own substitutions during the game. Poor show. 

The table has been updated.  We've now got a slim chance of making the playoffs.  Our final game is against playoff rivals Blackburn Rovers and it is a must win.  They play their game in hand at home to Fulham on the 18th of April so we'll know the story with them by the time our fixture comes around on the 24th.  West Ham's key game away to West Brom kicks off at the same time as ours, so it should be an exciting enough evening.

REMAINING FIXTURES
------------------
Mon 17/04 @ 13:00 - Middlesbrough v Wolves
Mon 17/04 @ 15:00 - Stoke City    v West Brom

Tue 18/04 @ 19:00 - Blackburn     v Fulham

Fri 21/04 @ 19:00 - Middlesbrough v Newcastle

Sat 22/04 @ 14:00 - Stoke City    v Swansea

Mon 24/04 @ 19:00 - Blackburn     v Aston Villa
Mon 24/04 @ 19:00 - Fulham        v Wolves
Mon 24/04 @ 19:00 - Norwich City  v Brighton
Mon 24/04 @ 19:00 - West Brom     v West Ham

Well the bad news is that Blackburn Rovers won their game in hand 3-2 versus Fulham and have jumped above Villa and West Ham into the final playoff spot.  We can still guarantee ourselves a place above Blackburn if we can beat them in our final game.  But we now need to do that and hope West Ham fail to win away at the Boggies too.

• Like 1

Table updated.  There were 2 games played over the weekend.  Neither game had an affect on our own situation.  Newcastle won 2-1 away at Boro and Swansea completed their fine season in typical fashion with a thumping 4-1 win at Stoke.

Well it wasn't to be.  A 0-0 with Blackburn wasn't enough in any circumstances, but West Ham's 4-0 hiding of West Brom means they take the final playoff spot.  Elsewhere. Norwich and Brighton also drew 0-0 and Wolves went to Flum and won 4-1.

Interestingly, we gave a debut at right back to 16 year old Jake Walker.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Well it wasn't to be.  A 0-0 with Blackburn wasn't enough in any circumstances, but West Ham's 4-0 hiding of West Brom means they take the final playoff spot.  Elsewhere. Norwich and Brighton also drew 0-0 and Wolves went to Flum and won 4-1.

Interestingly, we gave a debut at right back to 16 year old Jake Walker.

He's only an u16 player, very good indeed

• Like 1

And just thinking about it, given that Jake Walker is probably 16, he must therefore be the first Y2K player we've ever had playing for Aston Villa's U23 team :hooray:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday, 3rd placed Newcastle played 4th placed Fulham at St. James' Park and beat them 2-0 with goals from Jamie Holmes (6') and Stuart Findlay (35').

Elsewhere, 6th placed West Ham came from behind away to 3rd placed Wolves in Molyneux to win 2-1.  Jahmal Hector-Ingram (80') cancelled out a Sylvain Deslandes (25') opener before a 91st minute penalty sealed it for the Hammers, scored by Martin Samuelsen.

The final will be played next Tuesday 16/05/17 in St. James' Park at 7pm.

• Like 1