Goals

turvontour

Goals

We haven’t scored enough goals this season, simple as. I mentioned elsewhere that the team we fielded at Newcastle on Monday night contained just one player that had scored for us this season! Irrespective of the number of new signings, to me that’s a terrifying statistic.

It was seeing Chris Samba’s goal scoring stats at his recent clubs – something like 8 goals in 50 games and It struck me, I can’t remember us having even one goal scoring defender (centre half or full back) in recent times. And, I’d even extend that to midfielders.

So, who were our last proper 6-7 goal a season defenders? Lescott bundled a few home last season I recall?

And our last proper 10 goal a season midfielders? I honestly can’t remember that, can only presume it was from the Barry, Milner, Young era .

And I guess most importantly, why don’t we have them anymore? Few obvious reasons linked to recent demise of club be we still have a lot of corners for our defenders to attack, right?

Hmm

The reason why we lack so many goals is because we don't have any continuity with our players and backroom staff.  Because we continue to change things theres no fluidity or pattern in our play.  

We need a settled starting 11. When Bruce arrived we began to score and win a few games but for whatever reason we have had a drastic change with players and now we're back to the drawing board. We also got rid of Ayew and Gestede & McCormack..  Gestede and Ayew should not have went. 

The positive note is that if we stay up and bruce stays, we would be better prepared for next season that we was for this season.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Hmm

The reason why we lack so many goals is because we don't have any continuity with our players and backroom staff.  Because we continue to change things theres no fluidity or pattern in our play.  

We need a settled starting 11. When Bruce arrived we began to score and win a few games but for whatever reason we have had a drastic change with players and now we're back to the drawing board. We also got rid of Ayew and Gestede & McCormack..  Gestede and Ayew should not have went. 

The positive note is that if we stay up and bruce stays, we would be better prepared for next season that we was for this season.

I completely get the continuity argument. But I’m interested specifically as to why our defenders don’t score goals, is it because the team is bad and therefore only forward type players score the goals, or is the team bad because of symptoms like the defenders/midfielders not scoring goals, bit chicken or egg I suppose.

Do Hutton, Amavi, Cissokho (mention him because he scored on his debut for his new club I believe) type fullbacks suddenly start crashing screamers in from range when we’re winning Alan Wright style, or are they simply not that type of full back? Do Chester, Elphick etc start scoring headers from corners, Southgate and Ehiogu style (I know harping back to happy times)? But what’s different, we still get 200 corners a season to attack? Have we just had a non-goal scoring group, or is it the training? The Bacuna example suggests it’s partly the training to me, as he was more or less free scoring when he arrived but has clearly lost that in the last few years.

Laursen was our last goalscoring defender, we looked dangerous at time with Clark, Collins and Dunne but never really enough to seriously threaten opposition 

as for goalscoring midfielder, from open play its been a long time. maybe since Hitzlsperger or Hendrie was in the team. I know Milner, Young and Barry got a good few goals but seemed like a good few was penalties or set-pieces

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Laursen was our last goalscoring defender, we looked dangerous at time with Clark, Collins and Dunne but never really enough to seriously threaten opposition 

as for goalscoring midfielder, from open play its been a long time. maybe since Hitzlsperger or Hendrie was in the team. I know Milner, Young and Barry got a good few goals but seemed like a good few was penalties or set-pieces

Id forgotten James Collins, he always went up for corners with purpose. Went on to score a load for West Ham too.

Â