Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Derby

limpid

Match Polls  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

3 hours ago, KJT123 said:

I feel sorry for Derby. One of the most undeserved wins I've ever seen. But, much needed 3 points and hopefully we can get back-to-back wins on Tuesday. Credit to Gardner who halted Derby's momentum by running around like a mad man. 

Don't get this. 

We weren't very good, but we were good value for the win. 

For all derby's possession I can think of one good chance which was Bents header that was comfortably saved. And they possibly should have had a penalty. 

We created the better chances and never really looked like losing our lead, despite the nerves. 

A vintage performance it was not, but I still think we were the better team on the day. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

16/17: 39 points *

15/16: 17

14/15: 38

13/14: 38

12/13: 41

11/12: 38

10/11: 48

09/10: 64

This is shaping up to be our best points total since MON left... :ph34r:

For that to be the case we would need 10 points from the next 5 games. Unless you are going to be counting games 39-46 which we havent had in previous seasons.

• Like 1

Delighted with the win.  But able to have other thoughts too.  I hope that doesn't mean that I'm a negative whinger and should stop being a Villa fan....

Bacuna was right that the ball was clearly off the attacker, but he acted like an idiot and deserves both the ban and the fine.

Bruce, while he kept urging people forward, still started one true forward with none on the bench and replaced the entire front line with a defender and two midfielders.  Sometimes the team takes cues from the actions, more than the yelling.

The Referee was terrified of making any big calls in the box.  Today, that saved us.  We would not have gotten three points with a braver ref.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Happy with win, terrible performance. The squad is so imbalanced, we desperately need a number 9 so Kodjia can play wider, and also a Hughes type player who goes past someone in midfield. I thought that Grealish would be that player but.......

the defence would be good enough to get us promoted if we scored goals. If........

ah well, onto Tuesday.

How can the squad be imbalanced? We have spent a ruddy fortune in January and it is still a dogs breakfast! 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So having played pretty well for long periods of the last three and lost them all, we played badly and won. It's not the way forward, but it'll do for today.

The conditions today weren't great for playing football, so we decided not to test them too much. I thought we defended stoutly, but far too often, that we lacked a little cohesion coming forward and again proved we can't pass the ball, but the attitude was right and we carried a threat from set pieces. Derby looked a decent side going forward and we restricted them to (lots of) half chances and we battled and battled and battled - for a team on the run we're on, that shows a fair bit of mental fortitude.

Johnstone (6) - he made a couple of decent saves, his kicking isn't too bad, but he looks very nervous - he's not one that dominates his box and the incident in the first half where he went up for a ball with Bent and ended up taking his hands away from a catching position so that he could cover his face was a worry. Peter Schmeichal would have put Bent in hospital for daring to challenge him, never mind covering his face. Anyways, the saves were decent and the clean sheet will do him good.

Hutton (7) - when the team isn't playing with a great deal of artistry or belief, what shows is players with heart and determination and courage and that stuff - he had another very good game - if it's his last season for us, then he'll be remembered well if he keeps this up.

Chester (6) - he and Baker defended well and he managed to get a goal - he's been poor this month but looked a bit more solid today, possibly because he's got rid of that haircut. Decent game and good to see him (eventually) bundle the ball home for a winner.

Baker (6) - looks more and more solid, I think he's grown up a bit as a player this season - toward the end when they were launching long balls into our box, I felt strangely calm in that Baker would win every single one.

Taylor (5) - he's careful this boy - he's not going to get caught out up the pitch, that's for sure. With Ince against him, that worked out well and he defended reasonably - but he's not he best left back at the club.

Jedinak (6) - since I declared him finished and rubbish he's been nowt but solid. Passing was quite good today too. We look better with him in the side.

Lansbury (6) - I don't think he likes Derby much. He was aggressive today, a bit more of the crunchy than the smooth and he couldn't get a passing game going - I think he's better when he's calmer. His free kicks and corners are a real asset.

Bacuna (6) - a man of the match performance until he spoiled it - he was everywhere today, worked his socks off and chased all sorts of lost causes - he looked like a player desperate to take the chance of getting in the side and staying in the side. Which, as it turns out hasn't gone his way. I was 80 yards away and I could tell clearly it was a shocking decision to award the throw in to them - but it doesn't matter, you dust yourself off and get on with it - you simply can't go at a linesman like he did. He might have to work very hard to get another chance.

Adomah (5) - worked away down the right, played in the occasional ball, but what was noticeable today was that he couldn't run away from the defender, which meant he was always struggling to get to the byline and make a difference.

Green (5) - he's been excellent as a sub, but took a long time to get into this game. I don't know if Derby have just got very quick full backs, but he was another one who couldn't get away from a defender having beaten him. He was unlucky to hit the post with the header in the second half, but I don't really remember much in the way of decent balls into the box.

Kodjia (6) - worked very hard and has earned his WWE badge for wrestling with every member of Derby's back four - it's a thankless task on your own up front when we go so defensive so early, but he got on with it and did alright.

subs

Amavi (6) - we needed his energy and the potential of pace on the break, I thought he defended pretty well too.

Gardner (6) - one big crunching tackle and some good work in almost forcing the error out of Carson - he brought more than I thought he would to the last few minutes

Bjarnason (5) - didn't really touch the ball, he held his position well, kept the shape, but didn't particularly influence the game much.

Overall, it was what we've earned over the last few games - some sort of karmic reward for the results we should have got against Barnsley and Ipswich and might have got against Newcastle. It's our worst performance in a while and our best result. We had the luck that had deserted us in their two penalty claims and we got much more than we deserved - which makes a refreshing change from the rest of this month.

We were crap. I'll take the points cheers.

Great summary of the game as usual but a few things I disagree on. The challenge by bent on Johnstone was a blatant foul and Johnstone did nothing wrong in that instance. More worrying for me were the couple of times he didn't come for balls that he should have.

The decision before Bacuna's red card was possibly the worst decision I've seen live at a game. The linesman was directly on top of the incident and still couldn't see the most blatant of touches. Given that the long throw ins were looking fairly dangerous I can see why Bacuna got annoyed and if he's not back in the team when available I'd be concerned at the management.

i also don't think we were crap. We were dogged and did what needed to be done. Probably worth noting that other than the goal, Green's header was the closest either team came to scoring. 

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Bruce, while he kept urging people forward, still started one true forward with none on the bench and replaced the entire front line with a defender and two midfielders.  Sometimes the team takes cues from the actions, more than the yelling.

The rest of your points were spot on, however this one is stretching things. There is a reason why we played one striker today....and that we couldn't replace said striker with another one too, both of which can't be laid at Bruce's feet.

He did the best with his subs at his disposal....and it worked. We got the result no matter the what ifs. We deserve some luck too!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

16/17: 39 points *

15/16: 17

14/15: 38

13/14: 38

12/13: 41

11/12: 38

10/11: 48

09/10: 64

This is shaping up to be our best points total since MON left... :ph34r:

2 things,

1 - obvious - but we are playing far worse teams, and in the 2nd tier so points by default are easier to get. I'd rather be getting 40 points in the prem than 80 in the championship

2 - 38 games compared to 46. Mathematically each point is worth 0.82 - on that basis we are just shy of 32 points in comparison.

Sitting in a Plymouth pub with the other half and my lad & his girl, I checked my phone and was surprised to see us leading. I quaffed a few more El Cids before full time and we won. I might have to try this ploy again every match day (although I'll not go to the extent of a 400 mile round trip)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

The rest of your points were spot on, however this one is stretching things. There is a reason why we played one striker today....and that we couldn't replace said striker with another one too, both of which can't be laid at Bruce's feet.

He did the best with his subs at his disposal....and it worked. We got the result no matter the what ifs. We deserve some luck too!

So, you think we did not sit too deep and invite too much pressure?

or you think his actions did not contribute to that?  

Rushian? Any kid that plays forward? Anybody on the bench show less shell mentality than Amavi, Gardner, and birdie?

conpletely agree it worked (we got 3 points). And delighted that it did. But that doesn't mean that retreating into a shell for 15-20 minutes is a good strategy.  Especially when it appears to be the only one we have and we have conceded buckets of late goals trying it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

So, you think we did not sit too deep and invite too much pressure?

or you think his actions did not contribute to that?  

Rushian? Any kid that plays forward? Anybody on the bench show less shell mentality than Amavi, Gardner, and birdie?

conpletely agree it worked (we got 3 points). And delighted that it did. But that doesn't mean that retreating into a shell for 15-20 minutes is a good strategy.  Especially when it appears to be the only one we have and we have conceded buckets of late goals trying it 

Russian is still injured mate....along with every other forward bar kodjia!

There maybe some young striker further down the pecking order but you are getting unrealistic to what they could bring to a game atm. Further more there's a real possibility you would be harming them long term what with the way the natives are currently.

As for retreating into a shell I'd like to see the team that didn't try to protect a lead after the kind of run we have been on.

What do you expect when the players are on a low ebb and frightened to make a mistake....they are human after all.

The time for slating tactics is when we are playing well, with confidence.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

I appreciate your points but the season is more than one match.  We have bunkered into losses too many times to be above criticism when we bunker.  We let them come at us for 15-20 minutes.  You think it worked so it's ok.  I'm glad it worked but remember several others when it did not, so I'm critical. 

• Like 1

Popped in to say 'yay' for a win...... finally.

Won't say anything else, as we're at that stage in a manager's tenure where anything negative you say gets shouted down by the big dicks. And anything positive gets shouted down by the even bigger dicks.

Hooray for Chester, and the Villa fans for turning up to the tune of... what was the attendance again?

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 18:04, imavillan said:

so you are both happy and at the same time unhappy....gotcha

Sorry for posting something that was not either totally critical or totally happy ??

I see nothing wrong in saying the - few - good things I saw whilst still being mortified at what a hash Bruce has made of it all.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Sitting in a Plymouth pub with the other half and my lad & his girl, I checked my phone and was surprised to see us leading. I quaffed a few more El Cids before full time and we won. I might have to try this ploy again every match day (although I'll not go to the extent of a 400 mile round trip)

I spent Saturday climbing the highest peak in the Midlands, didn't find out the result till Sunday morning, I'm with you but I'm f**ked if I'm ascending mountains twice a week!

Fingers in ears la la la ing will suffice I think.

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

Sorry for posting something that was not either totally critical or totally happy ??

I see nothing wrong in saying the - few - good things I saw whilst still being mortified at what a hash Bruce has made of it all.

theres no need to apologise :) if you are on an emotional roller coaster, enjoy the ups

Â