Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers

Keener window-cleaner

5 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

not sure why people are listing luc nillis.  he was at his peak when we signed him and was playing well until the injury that ended his career

I think it's because the thread is called "Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers"

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think it's because the thread is called "Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers"

my understanding of the thread title was people who were good before they arrived here and came here because they were past it or a has been.

i had thought luc nillis was in his late 20s when we signed him (but have been corrected on that).

but when he arrived he was in the best form of his career club level and was a regular starter at international level.

the only thing that placed him at the end of his career was a freak accident.

On 22/02/2017 at 21:53, Keener window-cleaner said:

Ok, Samba may perhaps not qualify for this list as it can be questioned if he was a quality player...but nevertheless he made me think of how many really good quality players we have signed towards the end of their careers, 5-7 years too late.

The first player I can remember was Luc Nilis. We have then had so many really good players who we have signed too late, like David Ginola, Robert Pires, Chris Sutton, Robbie Keane, Joe Cole, didn't we even have Peter Schmeichel at some time?

Would be fun to try to list how many of these really good quality players we have had who has signed for us too late...

see the bits in bold above.

we didnt sign nilis too late, he was in the form of his life coming here.  injury stopped him rather than age and decline, which seems to be what the op was getting at

Edited by flashingqwerty
typo

Beeing the op and trying to remember what I thought about a year ago, I think I meant players we signed that were past it :-)

Luc Nilis was perhaps not the best example, the goal he scored on his debut(?) was a classic. But still, he was 33 or something when he came here wasn't he, even if he still was good I'd say he had peaked quite long before and was coming here towards the end of his career.

Perhaps it's the same with many other clubs, but I got the impression that we ofte sign quite high profile players, but when they are past it or at the very end of their careers. With Terry we certainly keep that tradition up! 

On 08/01/2018 at 10:27, AvfcRigo82 said:

The legend Martin Laursen!

People forget what a duffer he was when he first came to us, and that we had completly blown 3 million quid he was so injured, but he slowly got better and better.... how old was he when he finally repaid the faith 29..... 30, fabulous player

• 2 weeks later...
Â