Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers

Keener window-cleaner

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

I actually think you are under cooking him somewhat.

yes Macca would put it in Row Z if needed too - however he could pass the ball if required, don't forget he did play midfield also.

i think that people who matter do regard him as world class to be honest with you. I certainly do - not that I matter though.

He was certainly highly regarded by Italians after World Cup game and them lads know about defenders. 

If honest Ferguson would have never got rid of him at United only for his off field issues

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Agree, I don't think McGrath played with Southgate and Ehiogu. I had forgotten about Carl Tiler! He was fun, mostly just very tall and good at heading the ball wasn't he?

Thats the one. Also remember a young lad David Hughes? Maybe played one game centre half. Think that was his name. Also Riccy Scimeca of course.

Yes the three regularly played together.

McGrath made 29 league starts, 8 starts in the cups.

Southgate made 31 league starts, 12 cup starts.

Ehiogu made 36 league starts, 13 cup starts.

For completion Charles 34 and 13, Wright 38 and 13.

(Insert wistful sigh)

For years after that season I was a big advocate of playing a three at the back, wingback formation. It wasn’t until later that I realised it was more down to the personnel that made them such a good side.

(Insert another wistful sigh)

• Like 2

On 22/02/2017 at 22:52, TheAuthority said:

Paul Merson seemed to be on a downward spiral (playing for Middlesborough in the old 2nd division,) before coming to us which revived his career somewhat.

Merse said in his book Boro actually gave him a pay rise from what Arsenal were offering which shows football finances were bonkers in 1997 given Arsenal finished 2nd and Boro went down.

He admitted he made the move just to pay off gambling debts. He was still a key player for Arsenal at the time.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 07:15, sidcow said:

In what universe were Steve Simms and Mark Lillis great players? I hope this is tongue in cheek! 

Not our greatest players in terms of quality but both were very important that season.  Lillis scoring against Spurs in League Cup gave us renewed belief we could get back

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Were you watching Peaky Blinders or Black Mirror?

League Cup, but he was wearing a time period cap, not sure if he had any razors attached.

• Like 1

Â