Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers

Keener window-cleaner

48 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

McGrath, Regis, Merson and Keane.  Really enjoyed watching them play for us. 

Agree that all were great to watch but McGrath was hardly at the end of his career being 29 and going on to play 7 seasons for us.

My 7 favourite seasons as a Villa fan I might add :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Agree that all were great to watch but McGrath was hardly at the end of his career being 29 and going on to play 7 seasons for us.

My 7 favourite seasons as a Villa fan I might add :)

Maybe because of the nature of his departure from old Trafford is why some might see it this way ? Boy how lucky were we? 

The best player ever to wear the claret and blue in my eyes - truthfully world class 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

The best player ever to wear the claret and blue in my eyes - truthfully world class 

He's definitely up there.

Honestly think if McGrath had been born Italian, and therefore maybe had a bit more culture to his game, he'd be regarded as one of the best of all time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's definitely up there.

Honestly think if McGrath had been born Italian, and therefore maybe had a bit more culture to his game, he'd be regarded as one of the best of all time.

I actually think you are under cooking him somewhat.

yes Macca would put it in Row Z if needed too - however he could pass the ball if required, don't forget he did play midfield also.

i think that people who matter do regard him as world class to be honest with you. I certainly do - not that I matter though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I actually think you are under cooking him somewhat.

yes Macca would put it in Row Z if needed too - however he could pass the ball if required, don't forget he did play midfield also.

i think that people who matter do regard him as world class to be honest with you. I certainly do - not that I matter though.

No, I agree with you.

I mean it more as perception than anything else. An irish CB called Mcgrath doesn't have the same reputation as an italian CB called Magranio, or something. Even if he deserves it.

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did we really once have a back 3 of Southgate, McGrath and Ehiogu!

I dont think we did. Maybe Mcgrath left the season before Southgate and Ehiogu.

Southgate and Ehiogu definately played with Carl Tiler though, and Colin Calderwood. Good times.

23 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont think we did. Maybe Mcgrath left the season before Southgate and Ehiogu.

Southgate and Ehiogu definately played with Carl Tiler though, and Colin Calderwood. Good times.

Agree, I don't think McGrath played with Southgate and Ehiogu. I had forgotten about Carl Tiler! He was fun, mostly just very tall and good at heading the ball wasn't he?

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes.

League Cup final of 1996 when we beat Leeds 3-0.

Gary Charles also played right back that day we last lifted a cup.  :hooray:

We finished fourth and semi finals that year. My favourite season in my lifetime. 5th a year later. Then it was time to really push on with a big signing . Unfortunately it turned out to be Stan Collymore. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We finished fourth and semi finals that year. My favourite season in my lifetime. 5th a year later. Then it was time to really push on with a big signing . Unfortunately it turned out to be Stan Collymore. 

Yeah FA Cup vs Liverpool where we got knocked out at Old Trafford I think? rocket polishers!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â