Quality players signed for Villa at the end of their careers

Keener window-cleaner

10 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

Pires?! :lol: Cole and Given were terrible as well. As was Heskey.

I couldn't stand Pires either (he just turned up for a final payday) but he was an unbelievable player for Arsenal at his peak. Won POTY in 2002.

Yeah people like Joe Cole and Heskey. Robbie Keane was good in his short spell for us but again we could've signed him 10 years before we finally did.

I'd add Houllier as manager.

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Do you mean Colin Calderwood?

Err yeah I also had Garry Thompson in my head but I dont think Gary was that old when he signed for us, not sure where the Caldwell came from.

Brain fart moment

A completely pointless couple of years from Kieron Richardson, other than that header off the line from Gerrard!

As usual, I remember Richardson scoring a screamer against us at Villa park probably weeks before we signed him. Needless to say, I don't think he had a short for us.

I'll add Steve Stone, although not sure he was at the end, just looked old. Another player that terrorised us in a league game the week before.

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

Cant remember the year, but I seem to remember that we had a horror side at one stage that contained about 4 or 5 of this type of player, might have been when Blues first came up.

The likes of Leonhardsen, Kinsella, Allback, Ronny Johnson etc.

Oh God.... THAT side... The days of Graham Taylors second reign wasnt it?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I agree this signing has beens, never wases and never will bes probably gave us a rep amongst players of being a overpaying a easy ride club where you can see out your last year or 2 on more money than you're worth as you were decent sometimes literally 10 years ago. Mcgrath, Laursen and Schmeichel the exceptions as could still play to a high level, although as we saw Laursen eventually bought it and we were probably lucky to get as much football as we did out of him.

On 2/22/2017 at 22:37, Tommo_b said:

Yep Schmeichel was still decent if I recall when he was here. 

On 2/23/2017 at 11:39, Raver50032 said:

Yep - he even scored for us :)

He wasn't as decent as people like to remember.

He left us because he'd fallen behind Enckleman. Apparently he had it in his contract that he could leave if he was no longer number 1 or something.

Anyone who fell behind Enckleman can't have been that good!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 12:54, turvontour said:

Cant remember the year, but I seem to remember that we had a horror side at one stage that contained about 4 or 5 of this type of player, might have been when Blues first came up.

The likes of Leonhardsen, Kinsella, Allback, Ronny Johnson etc.

Not sure Allback counts. He was 29 (I think) when he signed for us and played for another 5 or 6 seasons after he left.

Â