Pre Match Thread

villa89

Well Derby come to town and if they leave with 3 points that will be 1 point from the last 27 available. At least with Hogan's injury Kodjia should go up front and we might be able to play with some actual width on the wings, but god knows what formation will come out of the steve bruce mystery box. A draw might be enough to stem the bleeding.

We are without a win since Boxing Day and have only managed two points from the 9 games we have played since then. We welcome Derby County who sit 11 points ahead of us in the league table on Saturday at 15.00. Derby trail the play-off places by 11 points and we are just 6 points behind the relegation places. That gap could be down to 5 points should Wigan manage to get something from their game at QPR tonight. Having gone unbeaten at Villa Park until the 11th of this month we have now lost two home games on the trot. It is not looking promising, is it?

Derby last won at Villa Park in 1988 (2-1). Their last win at B6 prior to that had been in 1969 when Brian Clough’s team beat us 1-0 on their way to promotion to the top flight. Our visitors have lost on each of their last 9 visits to Villa Park and their 2 wins in 1969 and 1988 have been their only 2 league wins at Villa Park since 1938.

We really do need to get something from this one. Two home wins from this and from our 6-pointer with Bristol City next Tuesday would do much to banish those relegation concerns that have developed of late. Another win next weekend at bottom-placed Rotherham would put us on 45 points and would pretty much ensure our safety. We need the confidence that 3 wins would bring but it is asking a lot of a team that has not won a game this year and I would currently settle for 5 - 6 points from these 3 games.

It looks certain that we will start Saturday’s game without Hogan. Kodjia might well also be a doubt but our strikers have not been finding the back of the net for us very often when they are available. We need a battling performance on Saturday and a minimum of a point to show for it. Sadly, although I hope to be proved wrong I would not want to bet on us getting anything other than a third successive home defeat and a sixth loss on the trot on Saturday afternoon.

1-0 to you lot. We are also in a bad run of form and have some injuries to key players.

Me and the boy are coming up for this one, in the home end. 

My turn to squirm as we did the opposite at PP back when you had RdM and we had Pearson. No surprise it was a dull 0-0.

I quite like Czechlad's side. If Hogan was fit I'd go two up top with Grealish behind them in a diamond, but with only one striker available I think it's really suited to brining in Green to play wide.

Going on our current luck:

We'll lose 2-0, the first goal coming at the end of the first half when a throw in gets caught on the wind, hits Darren Bent on the back of the head and deceives our keeper from 30 yards, the second a more standard goal once all of the hope and belief has left us (usually on or around the hour mark). Lansbury to be sent off - a straight red for an accidental trip triggering a four match ban to include the one for a million yellows, Adomah to suffer a bout of gout late on due to an issue with the tightness of his socks putting him on the sidelines for a month. Grealish to miss a penalty after pausing in his run up to adjust his hair.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

1-0 to you lot. We are also in a bad run of form and have some injuries to key players.

Ipswich, Forest, Cardiff, Wolves and Brentford were also not setting the league alight before they beat us. We are just the team to play if you cannot see where your next win is coming from. Given that I hope that you are right and that us lot win this one.    

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

7a8917f68dbb7f8b1b6bad89f7e83164.png

Gotta be this if Kodjia is fit. If Kodjia is out, Davis it is. 

Then we have have Grealish for Green, Birkir for Adomah, and Bacuna for Lansbury. 

Definately this apart from Baker in for Elphick. Always useful to have at least one centre back who can win a header and he is our most in form centre back ( not saying a lot).

• Like 4

My girlfriend is here from Germany to finally meet me mom, brother and the rest of the clan.

She wanted to see Villa live a long time ago but I have limited her to the torture on TV.

We are going to this one even though I promised her/myself I would never ever do anything to harm or disorientate her.

She use to play football and is used to her German national team winning world cups and european championships so I really dont know what she'll make of Bruce's Hoofball.

Anyway, I pray for a good performance and hope she at least enjoys the Villa experience.

Vtid

PS Whispered (SBout!)

• Like 2