Horizon Zero Dawn

hogso

You left the first zone yet? I found it picks up when you get really challenged by some of the dinos, the t-Rex, the stealthy ones, the bulls etc there was a bit in the middle where the game was genuinely challenging, not just luring them in to bushes and not having some of the super gear near the end

hard thing to achieve in games recently, I find them repeatitive or frustrating rather than challenging, the only frustrating enemy in this was the smaller Dino birds

Edited by villa4europe

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You left the first zone yet? I found it picks up when you get really challenged by some of the dinos, the t-Rex, the stealthy ones, the bulls etc there was a bit in the middle where the game was genuinely challenging, not just luring them in to bushes and not having some of the super gear near the end

hard thing to achieve in games recently, I find them repeatitive or frustrating rather than challenging, the only frustrating enemy in this was the smaller Dino birds

I don't think I've left the first zone yet, I've just been exploring and completing all the side quests and errands before I carry on with the main story and head to Meridian.

I have to admit, the more I play it, the funner it's getting. I think I need a better understanding about the weapons and fighting the machines though, I've just been chucking a few arrows before walking up to them and smashing them with my spear whilst munching on loads of medicine. I'm guessing that's not going to go down too well when I get to bigger machines.

Edited by Paddywhack

For the most part I loved the combat but I thought the Thunderjaws were quite underwhelming. My first fight must have lasted about 20 minutes but once you figure out how to kill them they're really straight forward. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Went back to this today, took down a thunder jaw on my first attempt. I felt a bit sneaky so I planted 10 blast wires next to each other then lit it up with a firecaster I'd picked up off a bandit heavy. Queue lots of rolling and running away like a little girl when it took a little over half its health off. Threw out some tea arrows and it dropped a disc launcher. It melted quite quickly once I picked it up. 

• 1 month later...

Absolutely love this game, one of those titles that's great on launch, doesn't need dlc to make it feel like a full game and is visually stunning. Something that can't be said about 98% of games released in the modern market. 

This was only my 3rd platinum trophy, went back on just to complete the trophies and get another look at the game. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just started this game.  

Wow, great start, the story looks like it’s going to be really good, the open world feels like a mix between Witcher and some futuristic game, a little bit of Lara Croft thrown in, and really good graphics.

Anyone else played it and any early tips without spoilers?

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Just started this game.  

Wow, great start, the story looks like it’s going to be really good, the open world feels like a mix between Witcher and some futuristic game, a little bit of Lara Croft thrown in, and really good graphics.

Anyone else played it and any early tips without spoilers?

I really enjoyed the story in this one, it's not a short game, but it is concise enough to draw you in and maintain your attention from start to finish, I found. Very doable plat if trophies are your thing too. 

As for tips, it's been that long since I played it I don't really remember anything specific, other than do the trials to get to grips with the various weapon types, and don't be afraid to experiment a little during encounters with some of the bigger mobs. I barely used the trip wire thing for large parts of the game, before realising just how useful it was. 

• Like 1

From memory get the perk that let's you pick your unused traps back up, then when you take on something big set loads of them in a circle around you so when the enemy charges a trap will go off 

Also get the critical knockdown one and stealth kill one and then just kill everything, it'll be around 20 hours in until you can kill the big boys so don't rush, the first one you come across the sawtooth or whatever it's called isn't as hard as it looks 

Edited by villa4europe

On 09/01/2021 at 07:03, hogso said:

I really enjoyed the story in this one, it's not a short game, but it is concise enough to draw you in and maintain your attention from start to finish, I found. Very doable plat if trophies are your thing too. 

As for tips, it's been that long since I played it I don't really remember anything specific, other than do the trials to get to grips with the various weapon types, and don't be afraid to experiment a little during encounters with some of the bigger mobs. I barely used the trip wire thing for large parts of the game, before realising just how useful it was. 

Echoing this, get on the trip-wire ASAP.  Absolutely fantastic for bringing down, well, anything but particularly the biggest and baddest robo-game.

Got this for 8 quid today on the psn store

wow what a game. Agreed with what someone said on here a couple of years ago. One of the best intros I’ve done since last of us one 

L26, finished the Meridian quest with the sister which was a decent questline.

Done 2 bandit camps, 2 tall trees, 3 corrupted zones.

Fought my second Deathbringer as part of the main quest and found out some very interesting information about the past.

The bigger monsters are each so hard in their own way, love that you have to use different tactics with each monster

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2021 at 17:13, ender4 said:

L26, finished the Meridian quest with the sister which was a decent questline.

Done 2 bandit camps, 2 tall trees, 3 corrupted zones.

Fought my second Deathbringer as part of the main quest and found out some very interesting information about the past.

The bigger monsters are each so hard in their own way, love that you have to use different tactics with each monster

and finished it!  everything done that can be done (expect for the useless find flowers/mugs for no reason).

What a great game.  8.5/10

onto Frozen Wilds DLC now.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Forbidden West out today

Couple of DF videos worth watching, with the headlines being, this is a game which actually looks better than it's initial reveal / trailers rather than worse, and they've used a couple of smart tricks to get it running without any issues on PS4 / PS4 Pro. I'm posting this after reading @Ingram85's post about the new 'next gen' patch for Cyberpunk, which I think draws an interesting comparison, but also shows the incredible job that Guerrilla Games have done with Horizon 2. 

Reviews in general agreement that there are improvements in the quest structure - specifically side quests - and character interaction and animations are better too. The story is terribly well written, so that may live and die on how well you're invested in to the story, and Aloy herself. Fortunately, I found the first game to be a really refreshing take on the post-apocalypse theme, and really enjoyed the various reveals and back story as to what exactly went on back then, and who you are in the current world. So, hopefully, I will let any negatives in the story slide a bit. 

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but for PS5 owners, it is cheaper to buy the PS4 version, and then make use of the free PS5 upgrade. It does mean you can't pre-load it, so will have a hefty wait when you first try and play, but you may think that's worth saving £10-15. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â