The magical imaginarium

lapal_fan

48 minutes ago, useless said:

I probably should have said that I don't consider myself to have a good imagination, I don't get much in the way of interesting or original thoughts.

I was making a funny. Can't imagine. Aphantasia. I can't. Imagine... 😁😂 

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

...and is therefore a witch?

Well, let's see if we can work it out:

The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law

Therefore: True

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Well, let's see if we can work it out:

The mad kid had 4 lights, the average is 2.5 lights The mediocre has 2 lights, the sign of genius is three lights. There's one light left, that's the one light. That's the science law

Therefore: True

four lights GIF

• Like 2

This has got me thinking all sorts of deep stuff about the nature of 'personal reality'. It's pretty much accepted that much of our memory is 'created' from an amalgam of real events, photographs, things we've been told, family legends, mistakes and plain old imagination. We constantly rebuild our memories as a form of semi-fiction. 

And it struck me how little difference there is between apparent reality and conscious fantasy. I was talking in one of the music threads the other day about how I like to immerse myself in interrelated media - so if I'm reading a novel about (say) 1950s Los Angeles, I'll probably also read related nonfiction, watch movies set in that milieu, listen to music of the period, and so on. The result is that I have a simulated experience of that time and place, that is in many ways as 'real' to me as memories of things I've actually experienced. Is my memory of (say) drinking in a bar in Paris in the 1980s (which I've done) really much different in my perception, to my imagined experience of drinking in a bar in L.A. in 1951 (which I haven't, but I may as well have done). Both sensations contribute - fairly vividly, and arguably equally - to 'who I am'. Does it matter that one is 'real' and one isn't? 

Matrix territory, perhaps. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Last night before falling asleep I thought I'd invented a new art form where you think of a good idea for a painting but instead of painting it you describe it with words instead. When I woke up it didn't seem such a good idea.

Edited by useless

On 28/01/2021 at 23:16, mjmooney said:

This has got me thinking all sorts of deep stuff about the nature of 'personal reality'. It's pretty much accepted that much of our memory is 'created' from an amalgam of real events, photographs, things we've been told, family legends, mistakes and plain old imagination. We constantly rebuild our memories as a form of semi-fiction. 

And it struck me how little difference there is between apparent reality and conscious fantasy. I was talking in one of the music threads the other day about how I like to immerse myself in interrelated media - so if I'm reading a novel about (say) 1950s Los Angeles, I'll probably also read related nonfiction, watch movies set in that milieu, listen to music of the period, and so on. The result is that I have a simulated experience of that time and place, that is in many ways as 'real' to me as memories of things I've actually experienced. Is my memory of (say) drinking in a bar in Paris in the 1980s (which I've done) really much different in my perception, to my imagined experience of drinking in a bar in L.A. in 1951 (which I haven't, but I may as well have done). Both sensations contribute - fairly vividly, and arguably equally - to 'who I am'. Does it matter that one is 'real' and one isn't? 

Matrix territory, perhaps. 

Whilst only slightly related to your post, I have noticed lately at how different people experience the same shared experience. 

Large crowds are good for this.  At Villa, something happens, and you get lots of conflicting expressions at what's just happened "That's never a yellow card!" whereas, to me, it definitely was. 

But I've also come to realise that personalities experience the same experience differently.  My wife is definitely a glass half empty kind of person, and I'm almost definitely a glass half full.  

It's crazy at just how similar we all are at certain things, and polar opposites in others. 

I suppose all these overlapping interests AND non-shared interests keep life interesting.  

47 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Whilst only slightly related to your post, I have noticed lately at how different people experience the same shared experience. 

Large crowds are good for this.  At Villa, something happens, and you get lots of conflicting expressions at what's just happened "That's never a yellow card!" whereas, to me, it definitely was. 

But I've also come to realise that personalities experience the same experience differently.  My wife is definitely a glass half empty kind of person, and I'm almost definitely a glass half full.  

It's crazy at just how similar we all are at certain things, and polar opposites in others. 

I suppose all these overlapping interests AND non-shared interests keep life interesting.  

Yeah, footy is mad. There is a group of people who will never ever accept that our player committed a foul no matter how obvious. No tackle from the opposition is fair no matter how obvious it was fair. Every throw in is our ball etc. So partisan that they cant look at anything objectively. 

Same when a player they don't like for example gets tackled when he's been given a hospital pass.  Or delivers a perfectly good pass the recipient didn't move for or failed to control. They'll always blame the player they don't like regardless. I think the official term for this is The Mings Effect. 

• Like 1

Â