Prematch Thread

Grasshopper

1 hour ago, striker said:

Probably right mate. Absolute madness to replace an inexperienced keeper with another one. I wonder is there any decent keepers available on a free? Someone said here that Kirkland was available. Yes I know the record of injuries he has but bringing him in until the end of the season on a pay as you play deal wouldn't do any harm?

Last I heard Kirkland was doing some coaching at Port Vale. He was class in the past but injuries have taken their toll on him it seems. It is a pity Steer is still out with injury because Johnstone has nobody really pressing for his place. I cannot say too much about going for a young keeper as I suggested we sign Daniel Bentley from Southend in the summer myself who is now at Brentford. I think all in all we have no alternative than to go again with Johnstone and to hope that he finds his confidence soon because I think he does have some ability.   

We last beat Newcastle at St James Park in 2005 (3-0). Since then we have drawn 4 and lost the other 6 at their place. Newcastle fans will relish the prospect of winning this one because they have grown to rather dislike us of late (I almost look forward to seeing their banners).

I would like to say that we tend to play better against the better teams, that Newcastle will not be as up for beating us as some teams in this division have been and that neither team has won one of the last 3 games between the two teams. Current form and the fact that we have gone 11 games since we last beat Newcastle suggest a win is highly unlikely for us. A fourth draw on the trot between the two teams would do nicely but is I fear only slightly less unlikely than a win without say a three goal start for us. It looks like another sorry defeat then but I hope this prediction is as wide of the mark as have been my recent predictions of Villa wins.          

• Like 1

Obviously we badly need points, but the sheer hilarity factor of beating them, or at least stopping them from winning, would be brilliant.  They really hate us, and no matter how shit we've been (and boy have we been shit), and no matter how badly they've needed the win, they can't seem to beat us.  Whether that's to stop themselves from going down or whether it's getting one back on us for either sending them down or then bringing them down with us.  They so badly want to beat us it's untrue.

Almost as much for that reason as for our own, please come on Villa.

But it's on Sky.

And away from home.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I think we'll lose here and probably by a couple of goals, but here goes based on who's likely to be it:

--------------------Johnstone------------------

Hutton-----Chester-------Elphick-------Taylor

---------------------Jedinak------------------

-----Lansbury---Hourihane----Bjarnason---

----------------Hogan----Kodjia-------------

Subs: Bunn, Baker, Amavi, Bacuna, Grealish, Adomah, Green

Don't really like the team above, but it's set up with the hope of not conceding, frustrating the opposition and then perhaps nicking a goal.  It's my birthday on Monday and will no doubt be ruined by a depressing defeat.  

I'd be tempted to try a diamond:

--------------------Johnstone------------------

Hutton-----Chester-------Elphick-------Taylor

---------------------Jedinak------------------

--------Hourihane-----------Bjarnason---

---------------------Lansbury----------------

----------------Hogan----Kodjia-------------

Lacking width, would be better having Bree or Amavi providing some, but you have a runner beside Hourihane and Lansbury can actually play the advanced role he was good at for Forest, hopefully he can get Shelvey sent off again aswell.

Edited by JNortonAVFC

Pressure off on the players as most are expecting Newcastle to hammer Villa. With that in mind and still maintaining that player for player I really don't think there's the chasm between the teams that the league position suggests I think there could be a surprise victory on the cards.

It all depends though on how Bruce sets the team up and that's still the most worrying aspect for me. The manager.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

We'll either play really well and look like we've turned a corner only to concede a last minute winner to them or get fingered from the first minute and lose by 4 or 5.

either way if we get anything from this game I'll suck off a horse 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Johnstone

Hutton - Chester - Baker - Amavi

Lansbury - Jedinak - Hourihane

Adomah - Hogan - Kodjia

I'm dreading this, they'll rip us to shreds. 4-0 Newcastle. 

I reckon it will be more like the Spurs cup game with the lads putting up a brave fight to keep the score down with the game finishing 2-0.