What's wrong at Villa?

turvontour

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We appointed a good manager (at this level at least) and he's turned to shit.

He's out of his depth imo. He's already admitted this is his biggest club and despite all the baggage that comes with being Villa manager I'm afraid he's failing miserably at it.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

The only thing wrong at Villa are the constant poor decisions from top to bottom. 

Signing all the players was not the answer. We are now paying for our arrogance.

Edited by jim

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what we said about Lambert, and then Sherwood, and then garde, and then Di Matteo.

Most of this occurred in the premier league though.

When you take into account the drop in leagues and the amount of money that has been spent Bruce is arguable failing more than anyone else in recent times.

• Like 2

Pressure .The players can't cope .Over the last few windows we have signed players that Villa is the biggest club they have played for in some cases by a distance and they are struggling with the expectation .The only way that changes is we have to start making winning a habit which is easier said than done .

5 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Pressure .The players can't cope .Over the last few windows we have signed players that Villa is the biggest club they have played for in some cases by a distance and they are struggling with the expectation .The only way that changes is we have to start making winning a habit which is easier said than done .

What pressure? There's been zero pressure. We're not a Newcastle who you just know were going to be at the top for most of the season and have put in team performances week in week out. We as a fanbase/club have been seemingly happy to accept midtable mediocrity this year, with the expectation that we make a push for promotion next year (understandably given the wholesale changes across the last nine months). Unfortunately, with us having not won for about 12 games the pressure will really start to build now, the results will start to matter.

Changing the whole team has been an issue. From last night I think only Hutton was in the team last year.

We needed to do it, but never the less its hard to integrate a whole new team.

For me the manager is too negative, as have been most in the recent past.

And when the pressure builds you need a huge character to motivate the team and deflect the pressure.

Someone like Mon could do this,  or Harry redknapp, or big Ron etc..

Not so much garde, lambert, Bruce etc...

We need someone with a big enough ego to handle the job, I don't think that's Bruce.

58 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i firmly believe, just one win will improve our fortunes. the pressure has gotten to the players, and each defeat just adds to that

I don't think it will. We are so far away from playing well.

Is not like you can see us playing a system every week, creating lots of chances and just being slightly unlucky, just close to it 'clicking'.

We literally look like we have no idea what we are doing, or trying to do.

Bruce goes on about all these 40 or 50 chances we've had and we just need to be more clinical in front of goal.  This is nonsense,  I havent seen these chances. He's just playing the stats..  Barley any of them are real, solid, well constructed chances.

They are mostly hopeful long shots etc..

• Like 1

I could be talking nonsense here but could we have signed too many "leaders" in the last couple of windows? I welcomed it and I'm still not sure that it is a problem but the thought came to me last night watching the game. Footballers have big egos and maybe some of these guys need the armband and that status. We have several players who were captain at their previous club i.e. Lansbury, Hourihane, Elphick, RMC, Jedi  which should be a positive but would only be so if these strong willed players are all pulling in the same direction. Chester is captain so these guys would have to dampen the ego a bit and be more of a follower than maybe they are used to.

Again I have no hard evidence to back this point up and it's just a thought that struck me but I thought it might make for an interesting discussion as to the harmony of a group of players and getting the balance right.

No team ethos- its just been a endless list of random players and managers since O'Neill. I don't think many of the players really 'get' Villa yet.

They need to spend some time with former players, shown them some of the old matches. That is not to make them feel daunted at all, hopefully to make them realise that this is a special club and it can be great for their CV if they can contribute to our revival. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

No team ethos- its just been a endless list of random players and managers since O'Neill. I don't think many of the players really 'get' Villa yet.

They need to spend some time with former players, shown them some of the old matches. That is not to make them feel daunted at all, hopefully to make them realise that this is a special club and it can be great for their CV if they can contribute to our revival. 

I think you've nailed it.  They're all strangers in a new club.  Gabby is the figurehead, and even if he's turned a corner they'll all know about last season.

We've got nobody who new players can look at and say "he's Aston Villa".  From the owner to the youth team manager, pretty much everybody is new.  There's no Gareth Barry, or Milner, or Southgate, or Petrov.  There's no example who everybody looks up to, who's revered throughout the club.

Of all the players we've signed, I do wonder if Petrov is the one we really should have brought in.  He knows the club inside out, he's played at a high level, and his story is inspirational.  Even if he rarely played, or was player-coach, or whatever, he'd have been someone to guide the club.

Continuity really is key, but it's difficult when it'll seemingly be a continuation of rubbish.  At some point though, we'll have a group of people who have been through this, come out the other side, and are part of the fabric of Aston Villa.

Right now, nobody is the torch bearer during these dark times.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think you've nailed it.  They're all strangers in a new club.  Gabby is the figurehead, and even if he's turned a corner they'll all know about last season.

We've got nobody who new players can look at and say "he's Aston Villa".  From the owner to the youth team manager, pretty much everybody is new.  There's no Gareth Barry, or Milner, or Southgate, or Petrov.  There's no example who everybody looks up to, who's revered throughout the club.

Of all the players we've signed, I do wonder if Petrov is the one we really should have brought in.  He knows the club inside out, he's played at a high level, and his story is inspirational.  Even if he rarely played, or was player-coach, or whatever, he'd have been someone to guide the club.

Continuity really is key, but it's difficult when it'll seemingly be a continuation of rubbish.  At some point though, we'll have a group of people who have been through this, come out the other side, and are part of the fabric of Aston Villa.

Right now, nobody is the torch bearer during these dark times.

I don't disagree with any of that, i just find it strange given that we have 5/6 players that captained their previous clubs. You would have hoped a couple of them would assume the leaders roles. 

Villa are a club that need euthanasia. No other thing for it. I love this club with all my heart but the pain it goes through every day just isn't worth it. We've tried little tweaks, we've tried major surgery and yet we're still on life support with incredibly poor quality of life and the outlook is only bleak. There are no breakthroughs on the horizon, no greater power that is listening and no fight left in the withered club.

There's no other thing for it, put us to sleep and let us all move on with our lives. We can then remember AVFC with fondness and great memories rather than having to watch what we have become; a frail, weak club battling for every breath yet only slipping day by day further down...

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't disagree with any of that, i just find it strange given that we have 5/6 players that captained their previous clubs. You would have hoped a couple of them would assume the leaders roles. 

The problem is, when you have too many who were used to being the figurehead, even if a group naturally gravitate to one 'leader' there is resentment and subconscious defiance from the others. I think having too many captains is a bad thing.

I really honestly think Bruce needs to take them to some remote island for a few weeks and bond them through some survival challenge. Until these guys start getting to know each other better, they won't gel.

3 minutes ago, perchman said:

I really honestly think Bruce needs to take them to some remote island for a few weeks and bond them through some survival challenge. Until these guys start getting to know each other better, they won't gel.

'I ordered steak boss'

grylls_120.jpg

1 hour ago, av1 said:

It's not really a case of not having leaders, it's more people who are part of the culture of the place.

Even within a business environment, if the place lacks leaders who have been around the company for a while there's no real culture or togetherness.

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Newcastle spent money and brought quality game changers who have done it in the PL and shown desire to work their way up and hit the top

. We bought clowns from Bristol and Fulham just here for the lolz.

The difference is they had a better base to work with. Gestede and Ayew had a better scoring rate in the Premier League than that Gayle.

• Like 1

Â