New Manager : 2017

darrenm

43 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Sadly I see it this way too.

IF we were to get rid of Bruce for me we need a manager with a track record of good coaching and organisation of a team.

See Hull with Silva or Clement at Swansea, Dyche at Burnley as examples of vast improvement in short amount of time due to coaching and work on the training ground. Managers that actually coach players and tactics rather than hoping it all comes together as seems to be case with our past few appointments.

Huddersfield in this league maybe as one example too.

One can argue Bruce is that guy but it is fast looking that isn't the case, let's hope he proves us all wrong.

Last real manager we had of that ilk was probably Martin O'Neil? Even if he had some flaws himself it was evident that team was "coached".

Martin  rarely took training during his time at villa although quite a few old school managers are the same - didn't calderwood say the attraction of this job would be he would be taking the training when he arrived ? 

If so maybe Bruce needs to look at changing that .

Edited by Eastie

36 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce is a dinosaur with out of date ideas tactically and looks like someone who doesn't really have the capacity to motivate his players. We need someone progressive, who understands that with our players at this level we should be attacking, pressing high and keeping the ball better.

I agree the longer he stays in charge the more damage he's going to do to these promising players.

He's going to take away their attacking intent completely and turn them into a bunch of cloggers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Take some random Portugese/Spanish manager that can at least make the team train passing during training. Las Palmas play awesome football, Quique Setien would be a nice catch. 

I don't follow enough other football to really pick an obscure manager, or know if this guy is good or not.  But a truly talented and intelligent manager, is just that whichever league they play football. I wish we had someone at the club with the depth of knowledge to find us that person, wherever they might be from.

Considering the Everton connection with wyness, round and Atkins it would be no surprise to see moyes finally pitch up here in the summer now he knows villa have money to spend .

There was a time I thought moyes  would be ideal but that time has gone and there are better options now.

How about we pick a manager (for arguments sake, let's say one of the best managers in the history of the division we play in, with a proven track record of getting teams promoted), give him a bit of time to sort us out (think a year is about fair?), and then judge? 

Everyone talks about "stability" and yet the first bad run instantly wants managers sacked. It's like some people understand that it's important, but don't quite realise what stability is. We have a new owner, whole new squad (again), a new manager (again). We are the opposite of stable.

I understand that people don't want to stick with someone that isn't up to the job, but we haven't brought in some unknown gamble like Garde or Sherwood or even Lambert to an extent, we've brought in a proven winner in this division, a man with multiple promotions on his CV as recently as last year (and that bit is important unless the Championship has "evolved" so dramatically in the last 9 months that he is now totally out of the loop). Bruce is not the problem here. Why not give him a little time and see what happens? Sacking managers every few months hasn't exactly worked out brilliantly, why not see how we do when we stick with one for a bit? Since we started our cycle of hire/fire/hire/fire we've gone from mid table (even top 6) Prem team, to being borderline relegation battle from the Championship, perhaps instant gratification is off the cards and we should try something else? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

We won't be going for Moyes.

Personally I hope Steve Bruce comes good even if it looks unlikely

Round and wyness have both waxed lyrical about moyes in the past and are big admirers - moyes reportedly was targeted ahead of RDM but didn't want to drop a division - I wouldn't want him now anyway - a progressive younger coach like Wagner would be better than the old school brigade .

• Like 2

TBH I couldnt care less who our current manager is I just want to stick by someone for a couple of years to stop this complete knee jerk reaction!

Bruce has proven himself a half decent manager in the past, and Im sure as hell glad we have someone like that rather than the next flash in the pan young inexperienced manager.

We need sorting out, plain and simple.

• Like 2

Bruce surely can pull off 4 or 5 wins from now till the end of the season. If that IS all he can manage the good doctor will get rid day after the end of the season and we'll get someone else in for a full pre season. He basically has from now till end of the season that he can turn this group of players into a team. If he doesn't then he'll gt the boot, if we got rid now we'd be even more of a joke than we are.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Bruce surely can pull off 4 or 5 wins from now till the end of the season. If that IS all he can manage the good doctor will get rid day after the end of the season and we'll get someone else in for a full pre season. He basically has from now till end of the season that he can turn this group of players into a team. If he doesn't then he'll gt the boot, if we got rid now we'd be even more of a joke than we are.

Where would you draw the line at acceptable to keep his job ? Top 10 , top 12 ? 

Certainly a top half finish should be the bare minimum to consider it .

personally I would say top 10 and I think that's more likely than being dragged into a relegation fight.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nigel said:

TBH I couldnt care less who our current manager is I just want to stick by someone for a couple of years to stop this complete knee jerk reaction!

Bruce has proven himself a half decent manager in the past, and Im sure as hell glad we have someone like that rather than the next flash in the pan young inexperienced manager.

We need sorting out, plain and simple.

"Half decent".  Right, that's settled then.  Why look for good when you can comfortably settle for "half decent."   Because inexperienced is the only other option.  

I'd look less at the final position and more at how we play, if we have a style and identity and look like a team. Even if that style and identity is a rough old bunch of bastards who are incredibly hard to beat but I'd prefer it to be a well oiled, slick pass and move creative claret and blue steam rolling goal machine. If we look like there IS something to us that has the potential to win a shitload of games next season, then that's enough for me. 

That said if we don't finish top half with the staff we have at this level then it'd be hard to justify unless we look like Cruyff's ajax or something!

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 20:36, jimbojustice said:

Literally if we sacked Bruce we start the same cycle that keeps putting us in this place. He needs way more time, we can't keep sacking managers, we need to give them real time to reshape the squad.

Were he not employing poor tactics, making questionable formation and starting xi choices and nonsensical and baffling substitutions id agree.

But these things point to a man out of his depth and/or completely clueless.

He needs trimming with the rest of the dead wood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

"Half decent".  Right, that's settled then.  Why look for good when you can comfortably settle for "half decent."   Because inexperienced is the only other option.  

Because we are in the championship....and due to the way we have gone though managers recently....not a particularly attractive championship club. Half decent is about our limit right now.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Were he not employing poor tactics, making questionable formation and starting xi choices and nonsensical and baffling substitutions id agree.

But these things point to a man out of his depth and/or completely clueless.

He needs trimming with the rest of the dead wood.

EVERY manager makes tactical choices that many fans are left baffled by, MON did all the time but got us up and challenging, Man Utd fans used to say the same about Fergie. Bruce's record throughout his career in this division prove he is not "out of his depth and/or completely useless"