Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

Bearing in mind injury doubts etc, I'd go

Any Keeper

Hutton Chester Baker Taylor

Adomah Lansbury Bjarnason Hourihane

Kodjia Hogan

Subs: The other keeper, Amavi, Grealish, Green, Gardner, Bacuna and anyone but Elphick...

HOWEVER, if Bruce plays five at the back again I'll be fuming, however much he wants to dress it up as a back three. I hate going every other week, it's been years since the experience felt anything other than a chore - but once again I'll be there freezing my ass off in the soaking rain trying to convince the gf (a fellow ST holder) tgat this was better than a romantic meal out somewhere warm. If Villa was my girlfriend, I'd have dumped them... 10 years ago given the crap we've been through with such little joy.

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not easy to look forward to games at the moment, I'll give you that!

I do think though that if we can get an early goal against someone, that bit of confidence could see us win a game reasonably comfortably - it'd be so useful to fluke something early in terms of confidence and letting players settle into a pattern of play.

yes, but i think weve scored first before , and still gone on to lose....

we have done better with chester and baker as 2CB , even with hutton and amavi misfiring .

so i'd go for bree chester baker taylor at the back .

lansbury is the only new CMF to impress me so far , but i suppose hourihane has to be given more time .

grealish is our ONLY creative skilful no10 and we should persevere.

adohma and kodjia are WMF so its hogan CF .

ps.

how long will it take bruce to find his best team with all these new arrivals?

Edited by jackdaww
more
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, chappy said:

---------------Johnstone--------------

Bree-----Chester-----Baker-----Amavi

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane Bjarnason

------------Kodjia-----Hogan-------------

No more 5 at the back.

Agreed on the team above but I suspect Bree may be out again so we will be looking for another right back. I wonder who?

We lost our last home game with Barnsley 1-0 in 1998. That is the only time in 18 league and cup meetings between the two sides that we have lost. We have won 13 of these matches (the last of our 4 drawn games was our league meeting at Oakwell earlier this season). So to look on the negative side we have now gone 2 games against them without a win and we last won at Villa Park or anywhere else come to think of it on Boxing Day.

We really need to score a goal and start another unbeaten record. Our target now is another 14 points and the safety that will bring. This will be a tough one as Barnsley like Brentford and Forest before them will be up for it having lost top players to us recently. No doubt about it then 85-0 to us!   

Edited by John

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 23:35, The Fun Factory said:

Unless you are a Barnsley fan or have got a season ticket, you have to be a lunatic to bother to go to this one.

What about neither of those but given a free hospitality ticket with free bar?

Still not sure if worth it mind you...

Bunn

Hutton         Chester           Baker           Amavi

Hourihane   Lansbury  Bjarnason              

Adomah                                      Kodjia

Hogan

21 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm up for this one , was either that or have to take Mrsh29 out for valentines dinner so an easy choice really 

I'm expecting another tinker from Bruce and another inept performance 

anything else will be a bonus 

Am taking wife out tonight as it's cheaper anyway and will be down with Aston, might see you there as I think it will be our lowest crowd of season so far

With no Jedi I think it'll be 352 again so I'd like to see same as Saturday with Amavi in for Taylor. If we constantly make changes we wil not get anywhere and the players will not have a clue.  If it isn't working we can take off a CB and stick Jack on for a little more creativity. 

Should we want to stick a 442 in then, and only then, would I pick Taylor who looked like a player asked to play a comepletely new game on Saturday. And without Lansbury holding as he is too slow to turn and is easily beaten one on one, hence the numer of times he gets booked or gives away free kicks pulling the opposition player back

These are our options:

309a4d826591e5ddbd172f9f205b6790.png

ad823be9488b22400bec34787352c765.png

We have been creating chances with the 5-3-2 formation, but we can't finish them. It's frustrating, but I think we should stick with the 5 at the back formation, but it's absolutely useless playing Hutton as a right wingback. If we play the 5 at the back role and Bree is injured, played Bacuna there. Bacuna actually is suited to that role and he is the best crosser we have. 

1 hour ago, LancsVillan said:

Am taking wife out tonight as it's cheaper anyway and will be down with Aston, might see you there as I think it will be our lowest crowd of season so far

you heading to a pub before the game  ? I'll swing on by if you are