Nioh

Phumfeinz

2 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Anyone picking up Nioh? Reviews are pretty great so I think I'll trade in Resi 7 for it on Wednesday.

I have it pre-ordered.

I adore the game already after putting about 40 hours into it over the Closed Alpha and Beta it's incredible.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2017 at 16:04, Czechlad said:

Can anyone give a quick summary of what they like/dislike? 

There is so much to like;

I personally adore the gameplay. This game compared to something like Dark Souls is incredibly complex. Dark Souls you can beat just by learning dodge and parry, Nioh is not quite the same...

In Nioh there is;

• High Stance
  • Mid Stance
  • Low Stance
  • Sheathed Stance

Each stance has unique attacks, moves, skills, dodges, dodge timing, attack timing and more. You have to learn how to link not just between attacks, moves and dodges, but to link between stances.

Though you can't hit any button and hope for the best as for one timing is integral, but two stamina is more important in this game than your health. Your health is just a bar to tell you you're okay, but the health bar can go from 100% full to 100% empty in one hit so it's just for looks almost. Stamina on the other hand, if you run out of stamina you can't move for several seconds which is instant death in this game.

So how do you mitigate that? You have to manage another mechanic. While doing all of the above you have to time between attacks a thing called Ki Pulse. Ki Pulse is the ability to regain back Stamina fast, but you have to hit R1 at the perfect point after a strike to initiate it. So you have to learn stances, attacks, timing, dodging, moves, links between moves, links between stances and ki pulse while not getting killed in the process lol.

I adore this... 

I also like how each run of a mission can be different because loot is randomised. There is a Diablo flavour to this game and loot drops are plenty. It never feels like a chore to go through a previously completed Mission because you always wind up with some cool shit at the end of it.

Though this loot mechanic also ties into the crafting mechanic. There is a blacksmith and crafting materials in this game, so any redundant loot you either sell for Gold to buy new weapons/armour, or you break it down for crafting parts to build new weapons/armour. This game has so much depth to it, so more lore, so much story and so much more to give as I am only half-way through the game after like 40-50 hours played.

As for things I dislike?

I personally dislike how it tells the story.

I love the way Dark Souls does story, it does it in a very organic way through the world itself. The more you talk to NPC's and read item descriptions the more you learn about the games story and the Souls universe as a whole. It feels rewarding to play through Dark Souls numerous times searching for every item just to squeeze the last few drops of lore out of the game.

Nioh though is standard here. Yes it has item descriptions and lots of lore to read, but the core story is told in a very traditional way as this game has cut-scenes and I personally don't like that too much these days. I prefer my Souls-like experience to not have cut-scenes before each mission, before each boss and after each mission, but that's just me and likely isn't an opinion many share.

The other thing I dislike and it's a minor gripe. It's that the Side Missions seem to just rotate between the same few quest types. It may just be a pacing issue and too many of the same were clumped together, but doing the same objective in a different location is just a bit dull. If that carries on then Side Missions may become the biggest things I dislike about this game, but too early to truly say.

All in all though I love this game. 90% of it I adore. The 10% that I don't are minor issues at this point. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 3

Thank you. I read your whole write up and appreciate it. 

I am very glad to hear that the combat is great. That was my biggest concern, but it seems I should get the game. I do like how dark souls is a fighting game, but it was more than just a hack and slash. I was worried Nioh would get too monotonous with their combat system. 

• Like 1

I got the game yesterday and played quite a bit.

The game definitely has a major learning curve. It's similar to the dark souls leveling, gear gathering, and killing monsters gameplay. I read online that you should try to keep your gear limit under 30% so I was doing that early game, but one word of advice, DON'T DO THAT. At least for early game, just put on the best armor you find, and use the best weapons you can. I was trying to use light armor with quick weapons, but I was getting 1-2 hit. Game was so frustrating. 

I now have my armor under 70% weight and I use a heavy axe weapon. I attack slower, but I can take a lot of hits. Once I level up more, and find much better gear, I will go back to the light armor sets. 

Game is fun though. It does take time to learn core game mechanics which imo is dumb. 1-2 game mechanics is fine, but learning 3 separate stances, balancing ki, figuring out magic, figuring out spirits, the scroll charts, restoring ki while fighting demons, etc. It's just a lot for a new player. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fun game. I am playing it pretty slowly, but I am enjoying it. It's really give me my souls fix. Some of the bosses in this game are really difficult and give you such a sense of accomplishment when you defeat them. 

• 3 months later...

Started this yesterday, lots of fun even though I'm terrible. Steamrolling the boss in the prologue gave me a false sense of security. Those yokai fiend words removed are quite difficult and I keep forgetting to use kids pulse. 

Rocking dual swords and kusarigama, seems like a pseudo hard mode. 

• 1 month later...

Completed this tonight, just in time for the new DLC.

Tonfa's introduced as a new weapon, they are so much fun to use. I've paired them with a spear as a more practical weapon, fun times.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Having picked this up last year, hitting the third boss and a huge roadblock to the extent I sacked it off, I've gone back to it in the last week and found myself enjoying it more.

You kinda have to approach it as not Dark Souls. It's got the basic Souls-like structure, the risk reward run, the punishing difficulty, etc, but it's also got a lot of Ninja Gaiden and loot game aspects going on. I'm not very good at it. Over time with the Souls games I've gotten more aggressive in my style, overwhelming enemies with speed and strength. You can't really do that here, as the 'stamina' system is far, far, far more punishing.

But it's good fun. I hear the new one is a bit easier, which isn't a bad thing, so I might get round to that in a couple of years...

Â