Formula One - 2017

BOF

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

F1 bottled it today not giving vettell a black flag for dangerous driving.

It wasn't pretty.

hamilton, like him or loathe him, has the right to back the field up as he wants with a safety car finishing.

vettel should have been paying more attention.

however what he did afterwards was shocking and shitty sportsmanship 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

It wasn't pretty.

hamilton, like him or loathe him, has the right to back the field up as he wants with a safety car finishing.

vettel should have been paying more attention.

however what he did afterwards was shocking and shitty sportsmanship

if vettell doesn't get deduced points for what he did today I won't bother watching the rest of the season, disgraceful what he did 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

if vettell doesn't get deduced points for what he did today I won't bother watching the rest of the season, disgraceful what he did 

If you are being serious, you won't be watching the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

If you are being serious, you won't be watching the rest of the season.

Watching a 4 time f1 championship winner deliberately crash into another driver and only get a a 10 second stop go penalty is enough for me to think f1 wants Ferrari to win and with that action I won't bother watching

45 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Watching a 4 time f1 championship winner deliberately crash into another driver and only get a a 10 second stop go penalty is enough for me to think f1 wants Ferrari to win and with that action I won't bother watching

I understand your sentiment but, as I understand it, the penalty has been given, (10 second stop-go and 3 penalty points) so he won't be banned for this instance.

Would have been interesting to see what the penalty would have been if he had given Lewis a puncture or caused some damage to his car, Think the only option would have been to black flag him but the stop-go (effectively a 30 second penalty) and 3 points on his licence seems fair enough as no damage was caused.

Looked like Arrivabene was telling him not to say anything about it & calm down when he got out of the car during the red flag stoppage.

He now has 9 points, 12 points = 1 race ban but he will be back down to 7 points after the next race in Austria so unlikely to be too much of a hindrance to him for the rest of the season

I didn't watch the race but watched the replays of the Vettel / Hamilton shunt. When Vettel wnet into the back of him he talks both hands off the wheel to give the international driving symbol of "WTF". Then when he comes alongside the car mounted camera shows his left hand come off the wheel to do it again but can't see the right hand... did he steer into Lewis with the right hand or did he take both hands off again and get an unexpected steering to the right?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I didn't watch the race but watched the replays of the Vettel / Hamilton shunt. When Vettel wnet into the back of him he talks both hands off the wheel to give the international driving symbol of "WTF". Then when he comes alongside the car mounted camera shows his left hand come off the wheel to do it again but can't see the right hand... did he steer into Lewis with the right hand or did he take both hands off again and get an unexpected steering to the right?

As the track is not a pothole ridden muddy lane and his steering wasn't broken, I don't think his car would have unexpected steered in any direction.

I'm not familiar with any previous indiscretions that were similar so I don't know whether Vettel's punishments for this instance are typical or not. I think the 10 second stop-go penalty (in reality about 25 seconds delay) was chosen by the stewards at that race, having viewed the videos and car data and FIA have no retrospective ability, hence their post race award of 3 penalty points.

26 minutes ago, brommy said:

As the track is not a pothole ridden muddy lane and his steering wasn't broken, I don't think his car would have unexpected steered in any direction.

Its completely viable that the vehicle 'torque steered' into Lewis' car if he had let go with both hands again. Still a major and dangerous error of Sebastian if it was the case.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its completely viable that the vehicle 'torque steered' into Lewis' car if he had let go with both hands again. Still a major and dangerous error of Sebastian if it was the case.

That much torque steer under little acceleration would make the rest of race under race conditions intolerable. I think it is highly unlikely that the second collision was anything but deliberate. It was also very stupid as Vettel would have comfortably won the race given Mercedes' issue with Hamilton's head rest.

I just had a look on some more replays and it looks like Sebastian still had 1 hand on the wheel anyway so supports to claim he steered into Hamilton rather than the car moved across under acceleration with no hands on the steering wheel. Just a potential theory I had when I watched a clip last night but clearly not the case.

SV is coming out of this quite badly in the PR side of things.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just had a look on some more replays and it looks like Sebastian still had 1 hand on the wheel anyway so supports to claim he steered into Hamilton rather than the car moved across under acceleration with no hands on the steering wheel. Just a potential theory I had when I watched a clip last night but clearly not the case.

SV is coming out of this quite badly in the PR side of things.

I think SV and a few other drivers, including LH, already have so much money that they don't concern themselves with their PR and are just focussed on winning or the frustrations of not winning.

Well i **** love it. Good on ya Seb. I feel like it is something MS would have done and adds some flavour to the very bland recent F1 seasons.

I also might be biased as i hate that little cockwomble Hamilton. IMO he has always acted like a spoilt brat.

BTW iv just read some things briefly, does hamilton talk/incur about being the bigger man, then also say "Lets take this outside"?

• Like 2

If Vettell deliberately steered into Hamilton then it was very stupid as he could have ended his race there and then. The trouble is it difficult to see if the change of direction was a deliberate hand movement or was caused by torque or in the action of turning to gesticulate at Hamilton.

F1 needs the Hamilton Mercedez / Vettell Ferrari battle as the last thing it needs at the moment is one team to carry on domination as has happened over the last 5 -6 years with Red Bull and mercs so it is unlikely any retrospective action will be taken against Vettell although I would imagine Charlie wiil be having a little chat at some point in Austria.

General concensus is that Vettel should have been banned, and it's hard to disagree with that.  Hamilton's telemetry proved he didn't brake test.  He merely didn't accelerate out of the corner, as is his right as leader in controlling the group.  Vettel's was a double brainfart.  Rear-ending the leader and then drawing alongside and angling to drive straight into him.  I hope we haven't heard the end of it.  No doubt the rest of the season will be very spicy now and that's great.  But you cannot let that kind of behaviour go basically unchecked in a sport as dangerous as that.

Â