Pre Match Thread

Condimentalist

He will almost certainly stick with the 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 whichever way you see it.

I’d imagine with Jedinak and Grealish out then Bjarnason will move into the middle alongside Lansbury and Hourihane will push further forward. Taylor will come in at left wing back.

On paper we should win but on paper we’d have won a lot more games this season.

• Like 1

I know nothing about Taylor.  Is he a more defensively-minded left back?

It'll be interesting to me where Kodjia lines up.  Will it be a front 2 or will he come in from the left?  I hope it's a front 2 because I reckon they could be a brilliant partnership.  I suspect Kodjia has taken McGrath's criticism in the positive way that it was intended, and he'll be all the better for it going forward (har har).

In the absence of Grealish & Jedinak, something like below ?

ec632fac2a2f5034ecf02caffc802595.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

I know nothing about Taylor.  Is he a more defensively-minded left back?

It'll be interesting to me where Kodjia lines up.  Will it be a front 2 or will he come in from the left?  I hope it's a front 2 because I reckon they could be a brilliant partnership.  I suspect Kodjia has taken McGrath's criticism in the positive way that it was intended, and he'll be all the better for it going forward (har har).

In the absence of Grealish & Jedinak, something like below ?

ec632fac2a2f5034ecf02caffc802595.png

Stevie                      ^ 

Would play a blinder

Edited by Grasshopper

It's likely gonna be the 5-3-2 again but with Adomah slotting in Grealish's spot. I also hope to see Amavi in Bjarnnson's spot. 

If Bruce goes back to the 4-3-3, then he better put Gardner in the DM spot or we will lose. 

26 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

If Bruce goes back to the 4-3-3, then [we will lose]

FTFY.  I don't think we have the players to play 4-3-3 in the absence of Jedinak.  Certainly not on a regular basis any way.  I suppose it depends on whether the front 6 lines up more as a 5-1 than as a 3-3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

FTFY.  I don't think we have the players to play 4-3-3 in the absence of Jedinak.  Certainly not on a regular basis any way.  I suppose it depends on whether the front 6 lines up more as a 5-1 than as a 3-3.

I definitely agree with you, but I am not sure what is going through Brucey's head. I hope we stick with the 5-3-2. It wasn't the best showing last against Forest with it, but a new formation takes time and I think that suits our players the best currently. 

With the five at the back, I think the absence of Grealish means that it's most likely be Kodjia on the left and Adomah on the right - I guess the only other thing he could do is drop Adomah, put Hourihane in behind the front two and bring in Bjarnason in a diamond with Jedinak behind Leadbury and Bjarnason with Hourihane in front of them - I'm not sure that mightn't get a bit congested though.

Despite his idiocy, it's a pity Grealish is suspended, we're playing a formation that suits him perfectly and looks a little unbalanced without him.

It's a shame about jedinak as im looking forward to watching hourihane and lansbury in front of him.  

However i still think we have to play either 433 or 442 at home.  532 is raising the white flag.  Granted amavi/taylor and bree might offer something going forward but not enough.

I'd go 433/451.  Kodja left adomah right when defending with kodja moving inside closer to hogan when we're going forward and Adomah offering width.    

Central 3 Hoirihane,  Lansbury and probably Bacuna.  With bjarnson coming off the bench for whoever is the worst out of those 3.

We are bottom of the form guide for a reason, its not by chance. At the moment we are the worst team in the league and most definitely playing like it. Void of any cohesion or creativity and lumping it at every chance..

Sadly I think this is the day we lose our unbeaten home record, and this is the first time this season I have actually backed us to lose.

I realise it takes time for practically a whole new team to learn each others way of playing, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Junxs said:

We are bottom of the form guide for a reason, its not by chance. At the moment we are the worst team in the league and most definitely playing like it. Void of any cohesion or creativity and lumping it at every chance..

Sadly I think this is the day we lose our unbeaten home record, and this is the first time this season I have actually backed us to lose.

I realise it takes time for practically a whole new team to learn each others way of playing, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

and there was me starting to think Saturdays nearly here, a week on with the new players to get to know one another playing a shit Ipswich team at home. It would be nice for a Villa win to give us all a boost and some confidence......then i read this and well thats my parade pissed on !!!!!

Ah well.

• Like 2

Johnstone

Chester - Elphick - Baker

Bree                                               Taylor

Hourihane - Lansbury - Bjarnason

Hogan - Kodjia

Fairly certain that'll be the side. I'm pleased Bruce has finally decided on a formation but he must stop being so negative. Stop the constant hoofing as well, we have good players its not necessary. 

These past few weeks I haven't been too optimistic but I actually think we'll win 2-0. 

12 hours ago, Farlz said:

Johnstone

Chester - Elphick - Baker

Bree                                               Taylor

Hourihane - Lansbury - Bjarnason

Hogan - Kodjia

Fairly certain that'll be the side. I'm pleased Bruce has finally decided on a formation but he must stop being so negative. Stop the constant hoofing as well, we have good players its not necessary. 

These past few weeks I haven't been too optimistic but I actually think we'll win 2-0. 

I think this is how SB will go.

However, if Ipswich have a go at a certain point in the game I hope that the midfield offer some kind of protection. When that MF drops deep I can imagine a lot of Hoofing.

I can also see Elphick getting in Bakers/Chester way and the ball dropping to an unmarked Ipswich player. (Elphick should be on the rght with Chester in the middle).