Pre Match Thread

Condimentalist

All the talk about 'going on a massive run' has to start here. 99% of us have written off the playoffs this year but if the players and Bruce still think its possible then this has to be a big win. A 1-0 scrap will not do it. Players need a confidence boosting 3-0 dominant display. Over to you boys!

The thing is though, not only do we need this massive run, but we're also the least likely side to go on one at the moment.  We're 24th in the form guide.  We're playing worse now than at nearly any point this season.  The sides from 3rd to 8th/9th all seem to be winning more and more.  Every week the gap is widening.

Where I slightly disagree @Hairdo is that a 1-0 scrap WILL do.  It's all about stopping the rot.  The clean sheet would also be nice.  A turn in form can come from just getting what you deserve, and you go into the following game off the back of 3pts and all of a sudden everything happens more easily.  So for me it's about points, and the performances will come - particularly for such a newly-formed starting line-up.

• Like 2

The last time I saw Ipswich at Villa Park, was indeed that infamous night match where Ipswich beat us 2 -1. I think Gary Shaw was fouled in the penalty area but was not given and Ken McNaught had a nightmare of a game being caught in possession which led to their first goal.

Typical of Villa to do things the hard way!

I would like Villa to at least score a couple more goals than ITFC this Saturday. I am making the 2 hour journey from home to hopefully at least see us keep our unbeaten at home record intact for as long as possible.

All the best

Del

• Like 1

I'm in the minority who wants SB Sacked.

But I love AVFC and want us to win and in style.

Bunn

Bree Chester Baker Taylor/Amavi

Jedi

Adomah Lansbury Hourihane

Hogan Kodjia

A solid stay where you are back four with Jedi protecting

The MF & CF's passing it along the ground linking up well.

Ipswich are shit - We are shit but with the players to be not shit.

I hope in my heart that it all clicks, Bruce sends them out with intent to play football (not hoofball) and he can convince me to come around to the way of thinking that most here have.

However, my gut feeling is that VT will erupt into a volcanic spew come the final whistle, when more fans & VTers will turn and join the Bruce out corner

Bruce will go

SJ

Chester Elphick Baker

Bree                                Thor

Jedi

Hourihane Lansbury 

Hogan Kodjia

SJ will make at least 1 mistake leading to a goal, Elphick will be getting in the way of Chester & Baker, Thor will willingly run between LB & LWB succeeding in neither. We will have too many behind the ball, It'll result in the back 3 passing it around between them and Jedi, then hoofing it. Hourihane will again be on the right (out of position for most of the game) and he along with Lansbury will need a neck massage after the game. Hogan will be a carbon copy of "McC with speed" getting increasingly frustrated at Kodjia, who will be thinking, I'll just go for Goal. Bruce will sub Thor for Green who will show signs without an end product, Then he'll sub Hogan for Adomah who'll get a few crosses into to the box 5yards ahead of an onrunning Kodjia. At some point Ipswich will score and we will revert to hoofing.

If we score it'll be - he needs more time

If we dont - Slowly but surely it'll start getting nasty.

I hope I'm soooooo wrong but unfortunately I dont think I will be.

• Like 1

I see your point @BOF and thinking about it i tend to agree. I just think that we have a few 'flair' players now (HL, CH, SH, JK) and if we can get these guys doing their thing then the rest of the team will feed off it.

I personally think we will win this game

Edited by Hairdo

1 minute ago, Hairdo said:

I see your point @BOF and thinking about it i tend to agree. I just think that we have a few 'flair' players now (HL, CH, SH, JK) and if we can get these guys doing their thing then the rest of the team will feed off it.

I personally think we will win this game

Oh I agree that when we click we'll muller teams and do it in style - although we seem to have been saying that from the start of the season.  I think Ipswich will make this an ugly game.

As for expecting one result or another.  I've given up on that for now :)

Oh good Villa park to become toxic again just like last season. Can it be that some 'fans' actually miss those days and are looking for a return ? I hope if this is true they are in a very small minority otherwise the future is very bleak indeed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hairdo said:

All the talk about 'going on a massive run' has to start here. 99% of us have written off the playoffs this year but if the players and Bruce still think its possible then this has to be a big win. A 1-0 scrap will not do it. Players need a confidence boosting 3-0 dominant display. Over to you boys!

I'm up for a confidence boosting 3-0 win as well but 1-0 to the Arsenal was good enough for them for a long, long time and I for one would be happy with 1-0 wins from all of our remaining ten home games (which on it's own would give us 66 points). The problem then would be getting a few points away from home...;)  

• Like 1

3-0 home win 

Johnstone

Bree     Chester     Elphick          Baker      Taylor 

Jedinak 

Lansbury                     Hourihane 

Hogan   Kodjia