The Manager thread

Xela

One manager who the lockdown has really fecked him up is oearson. Watford were doing really well before we went into it. Now they look just like they started the season and as bad as us

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One manager who the lockdown has really fecked him up is oearson. Watford were doing really well before we went into it. Now they look just like they started the season and as bad as us

No they weren't, except the Liverpool game they hadnt won since New Years Day. Even lost to Villa in that horror run

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

They had that purple patch in late Dec early Jan. Since then they've been as bad as anyone in the league.

6 points out of the last 30 in the league and out to Tranmere in the FA Cup

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No they weren't, except the Liverpool game they hadnt won since New Years Day. Even lost to Villa in that horror run

That liverpool win was absolutely phenomenal 

On 01/07/2020 at 04:11, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its interesting how few English managers get offered jobs in Europe. If you want a measure of their value there it is. The market has spoken.

Same for players too, must be something like 0.01% play overseas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Why would a player play a key role for Real Sociedad or SPAL, learn a new language, move abroad, leave their family, if they can earn £60k a week for being on the bench at Watford? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Why would a player play a key role for Real Sociedad or SPAL, learn a new language, move abroad, leave their family, if they can earn £60k a week for being on the bench at Watford? 

Thats it. Wilshere turning down Milan for Bournemouth was a shocker and even Tammy preferring Villa to Bordeaux I couldnt understand.

The rare players that do go abroad I have more respect for like Joe Hart for example. Still a shit player but not afraid to leave his comfort zone

• Like 1

I remember Pep's dismissal of Wilshere when asked how he rated him ahead of a barca match. Also managed to get in a put down or Arsenal :)

"he is lucky because we have many players in the second team like him but he plays because there is no pressure at his club to win titles.""

:)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I think it’s getting better, a lot of younger players are following the example of Sancho and going to Germany, knowing that they’ll get more opportunities to play.

Always been interested in that pep comment, always agreed with it, don't think he meant better which is how most read it but that whereas here he was considered special over there he would just be a normal player and he was spot on

Not sure why I never looked before, hindsight makes it easier I guess, barca b when he said it included bartra, muniesa, grimaldo, montoya, sergi Roberto, rafinha, fermenia, dos Santos, cuenca, tello, deulofeu

The year before also had thiago, romeu, nolito, the year after had traore, samper and Luis Alberto 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think it’s getting better, a lot of younger players are following the example of Sancho and going to Germany, knowing that they’ll get more opportunities to play.

last Schalke game I watched had Jonjo Kenny starting and Rabbi Matondo and Matondo looked a talent though very raw. He would have never got the game time in England

I see Reece Oxford is still popping about in Germany as well not sure he will ever build on his early hype

On 04/07/2020 at 23:23, ciggiesnbeer said:

The gobby Bristol one finally got the axe. 

Only just realised this happened when I read your post. One of the best things to happen since lockdown.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Pearson's officially unemployed again.

I wonder how soon after getting the sack premier league managers with years left on their contract start jumping for joy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Pearson's officially unemployed again.

The worlds greatest manager according to some Smith bashers 😂😂

I think he is a credible manager but some people went OTT after a few Watford games. The players are scumbags led by the captain 

• Like 2

He's done well giving them a seriously good shot of staying up. They could still do it even if they lose their last two.

Interesting with perceptions. Marco Silva came in at Hull, improved them a bit from a hopeless position but they still went down. He ironically landed the Watford job, started off o.k and then got sacked. That all resulted in him getting Everton job.

Pearson probably won't manage in premier league but you'd imagine someone in championship will go for him now.

Â