Jump to content
Xela

The Manager thread

Recommended Posts

Ralf Rangnick favourite to be the Milan manager when season ends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 years since an Englishman last managed a team who won the top division. Howard Wilkinson in 1992. Prior to that it was Howard Kendall in 1987.

Why do you think that is? Why aren't English managers getting the top jobs anymore? There must be the talent there but they aren't getting the chances. Are they written off too quickly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Xela said:

28 years since an Englishman last managed a team who won the top division. Howard Wilkinson in 1992. Prior to that it was Howard Kendall in 1987.

Why do you think that is? Why aren't English managers getting the top jobs anymore? There must be the talent there but they aren't getting the chances. Are they written off too quickly? 

Are English managers not getting the jobs because they are English or are the managers not good enough. I dont think any manager has been consistent enough to earn a real top job not just now but in last 25 years or so. Redknapp and Allardyce were probably the most consistent and Redknapp got Spurs job granted they were struggling but won a cup a few months before he got the job and Allardyce got Newcastle and England jobs

Only 6 English managers have managed in the Champions League since 1992 as well, if you get all 6 then congratulations.

Spoiler

Redknapp, Lampard, Gary Neville, Bobby Robson, Ray Harford and Craig Shakespeare

 

Edited by Zatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Italian managers like Conte, Ancelotti and Allegri all started at smaller teams, showed promise (some didn't set the world on fire) and got a top job. Doesn't happen in England anymore. If Eddie Howe was Italian or German, he'd have been given a top job. No top team in England will touch him. Lampard only got the Chelsea job because of the transfer ban. Klopp has a relegation on his record, which didn't hamper him in Germany, unlike it would have done if he was English/British 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Italian managers like Conte, Ancelotti and Allegri all started at smaller teams, showed promise (some didn't set the world on fire) and got a top job. Doesn't happen in England anymore. If Eddie Howe was Italian or German, he'd have been given a top job. No top team in England will touch him. Lampard only got the Chelsea job because of the transfer ban. Klopp has a relegation on his record, which didn't hamper him in Germany, unlike it would have done if he was English/British 

while I agree I think Conte and Ancelotti arent great examples, both were Champions League winners and big names not so dissimilar to Chelsea hiring Lampard or Rangers hiring Gerrard

Eddie Howe for me has reached his ceiling at Bournemouth and rightfully not got a better gig, he has spent a ton of money since promotion and hasnt really improved the squad. Clubs like Everton or West Ham will look at this when they are recruiting and wont take a risk on a guy who paid 35 million for Solanke and Ibe. Clubs in Italy and Germany they rarely hire a manager at a small club until they do something impressive at a mid table club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

while I agree I think Conte and Ancelotti arent great examples, both were Champions League winners and big names not so dissimilar to Chelsea hiring Lampard or Rangers hiring Gerrard

Eddie Howe for me has reached his ceiling at Bournemouth and rightfully not got a better gig, he has spent a ton of money since promotion and hasnt really improved the squad. Clubs like Everton or West Ham will look at this when they are recruiting and wont take a risk on a guy who paid 35 million for Solanke and Ibe. Clubs in Italy and Germany they rarely hire a manager at a small club until they do something impressive at a mid table club. 

Perhaps Howe has taken a tiny club as far as he can and now needs to step up to the next level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Perhaps Howe has taken a tiny club as far as he can and now needs to step up to the next level. 

Ferguson beat Real Madrid with Aberdeen in the European Cup winner's cup and also broke the Celtic and Rangers dominance.

Yes i know the transfer marked have changed dramatically now, but still very impressive. I wouldn't say Sheffield United's squad is that much better than Bournemouth's, shows it's possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ferguson beat Real Madrid with Aberdeen in the European Cup winner's cup and also broke the Celtic and Rangers dominance.

Yes i know the transfer marked have changed dramatically now, but still very impressive. I wouldn't say Sheffield United's squad is that much better than Bournemouth's, shows it's possible

A better example would be Clough and Taylor at Derby and Forest, but that was then this is now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as usual, some more should go abroad if opportunities are lacking here although Moyes was pretty bad at Real Sociedad (won't count Neville as that was just helping out a mate seemingly and he dosen't want to manage anyway).

Ever since foreign ownership really came into English football from 2003 and Abramovich the pathway up the league has really been blocked. This isn't the case in other leagues. Going back a fair few years but Bernd Schuster did really well at Getafe, gets Real Madrid job. Then Juande Ramos is awful at Spurs but still has fantastic reputation in Spain from his Sevilla days so gets Real Madrid job. Barcelona this season had Valverde and Quique Setien who worked their way up and no one would describe either as a world class manager.

Italy and Germany are also still good at giving up and coming managers chances. Kovac won the cup with Frankfurt and Bayern appointed him but he wasn't much good while you saw Giampolo last a few months at AC Milan. When you think about it there's very few foreign managers at the top Italian clubs, can only think of Mourinho at Inter in last decade. Had likes of Allegri, Conte, Spalleti, Pioli at the Milans and Roma.

English managers need to try to win stuff elsewhere as that also gets you noticed. Can never understand why likes of Dyche and Howe basically throw cup competitions every season even when they're comfortable in mid table. Roberto Martinez won FA cup, got the Everton job and now manager of Belgium.

It is changing a bit now. Lampard has opportunity at Chelsea and is doing o.k. Have to think it's inevitable Gerrard will get Liverpool job at some point in next decade and think Brendan Rodgers will get another chance given how well he's done at Leicester.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zatman said:

while I agree I think Conte and Ancelotti arent great examples, both were Champions League winners and big names not so dissimilar to Chelsea hiring Lampard or Rangers hiring Gerrard

Eddie Howe for me has reached his ceiling at Bournemouth and rightfully not got a better gig, he has spent a ton of money since promotion and hasnt really improved the squad. Clubs like Everton or West Ham will look at this when they are recruiting and wont take a risk on a guy who paid 35 million for Solanke and Ibe. Clubs in Italy and Germany they rarely hire a manager at a small club until they do something impressive at a mid table club. 

Pioli? I laughed when a newspaper described him as the Italian Pulis a while ago. Wouldn't go that far as his sides play decent football but here is manager who's never won anything and indeed from a couple of mediocre seasons at Bologna got the Lazio job and now regularly pitches up at big Italian club in crisis in mid season to caretaker them for rest of the season.

I'd actually argue Italy gives loads of up and coming managers chances at big clubs. Inter Milan gave that 30 year old guy a chance (can't remember his name) but he struggled and last I heard was managing in Greece. They also gave Gaspierini the job in 2011 but Inter were still in decline after 2010 treble win and his formation didn't work at all with that squad so only lasted five games. He wasn't even as highly regarded as he is now at Atalanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaulC said:

A better example would be Clough and Taylor at Derby and Forest, but that was then this is now. 

Indeed but Sheffield United is a great inspiration. They have a limited squad of players. Enda Stevens is their starting LB ffs...

In the right system it's possible. Sheffield United are very organized, work harder than anyone else and they all know their roles in the team.

Eddie Howe struggles defensively. That's why they never achieve more than mid table.

Edited by villalad21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Indeed but Sheffield United is a great inspiration. They have a limited squad of players. Enda Stevens is their starting LB ffs...

In the right system it's possible. Sheffield United are very organized, work harder than anyone else and they all know their roles in the team.

Eddie Howe struggles defensively. That's why they never achieve more than mid table.

When Wilder has been in the Premier League as long as Howe has than I would say he's his equal until then no. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When Wilder has been in the Premier League as long as Howe has than I would say he's his equal until then no. 

Pretty much this in fairness, Paul Jewell, Steve Copell, George Burley all had similar newly promoted seasons 

I respect Wilder achievements so far but shows short termism of football fans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty much this in fairness, Paul Jewell, Steve Copell, George Burley all had similar newly promoted seasons 

I respect Wilder achievements so far but shows short termism of football fans 

Wagner too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph Hasenhuttl has signed a 4 year extension at Southampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sne said:

Ralph Hasenhuttl has signed a 4 year extension at Southampton.

Interesting, thought he might've looked to move on given their rumoured fire sale but nice to see he's repaid their faith in him considering most would've sacked him after the 9-0 defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a theme that us Villa fans are all to familiar with Brighton manager Graham Potter has lost both his parents within the last year.

First him mother died last summer after struggling with dementia and then this January his father passed away due to cancer. Apparently he got the news during a press conference ahead of a game.

After what happened to our last 2 managers I think we can all relate a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â