The Manager thread

Xela

Seeing an interview with Mark Hughes got me thinking, he has been in management since 1999 - nearly two decades and as far as I can see he has nothing really to show for it. I am not even sure if he has got to a cup final.

I am not saying he is a bad manager, but really...what keeps him going and where is the motivation to keep doing the same thing.

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Seeing an interview with Mark Hughes got me thinking, he has been in management since 1999 - nearly two decades and as far as I can see he has nothing really to show for it. I am not even sure if he has got to a cup final.

I am not saying he is a bad manager, but really...what keeps him going and where is the motivation to keep doing the same thing.

Of course he has won something as a manager.  He won BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year in 2002 :D

But seriously, he won the League Cup with Blackburn in 2002.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

Of course he has won something as a manager.  He won BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year in 2002 :D

But seriously, he won the League Cup with Blackburn in 2002.

I checked and Souness was manager. It looks as though even though he was manager of Wales, he was still aplayer at Blackburn, I don't recall this.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I checked and Souness was manager. It looks as though even though he was manager of Wales, he was still aplayer at Blackburn, I don't recall this.

Ah, yes that's odd.  So, BBCWSPOTY it is then :D 

45 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The love of the game, I guess.

We haven't seen Villa win anything since 1996, but we're still there... typing our rants about the club on a message board B)

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He probably enjoys his job

Plus a large salary! 

I think Mark Hughes is a decent manager.

He did a great job really at Blackburn, did fine in his year at Fulham and has changed Stoke around when you consider he turned up with 10 years of Pulisball that the squad were used to.

I think things have stagnated a bit there now with their squad but shows how well they've done they find it boring finshing 10th in the prem.

Hughes is a steady eddie manager who can pick up good value players for 4-5m and generally get you top half. Apart from when he was at QPR and seemed to lose all his capabilities for 6 months.

If we'd appointed him instead of McLeish I doubt we'd have got ourselves into all the mess we did on and off the field. He'd have been a lower scale version of MON.

I think Sheffield United's manager, Chris Wilder, is one to keep an eye on.

On top of doing a great job with Sheffield United, he has a very good history of stabilising and getting the best out of struggling lower league clubs.

Whether he would be ready for a bigger club like Villa, I would say probably not. Yet. Also, he is with his boyhood club, so you could probably expect he wants to take Sheffield as far as he could.

I would put his name in the " watch"  pile.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He is a strange manager in fairness, With a limited budget I think he is very good like at Blackburn and Fulham but with a big budget he is awful like CIty and QPR. Since Stoke start giving him more money they have seemed to decline more

• 1 month later...

Nantes needed special dispensation from the French League in order to appoint Ranieri, because he had reached the maximum age of 65.  Liberté, égalité, fraternité.

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Southampton have fired Claude Puel

Seems crazy to me after an 8th place finish and an unlucky cup final defeat.

absolute disgraceful, unless they are bringing in Zidane, Lippi or something I dont see how 8th and a cup final is a sackable offence

I really hope they go down after that

• Like 1

He played awful football and had fall outs with his players. Not sure you can really count his 8th place as anything amazing considering they were only 6 points off 17th. 

Southampton want Tuchel apparently, which would be big. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

absolute disgraceful, unless they are bringing in Zidane, Lippi or something I dont see how 8th and a cup final is a sackable offence

I really hope they go down after that

They lost 16 games in the season and ended on 46 points - the season before they had 63 points and finished 6th.

It may seem a harsh sacking to an extent, but they've clearly gone backwards on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Tuchel would be an amazing pick up by them, he's top 6 standard manager.

Shame its not happening. What a step dpwn that woukd be fot him. He is a champions league class manager

Â